Does anyone know how it works if I connect to wifi whilst roaming and get UMA connection?

As I understand it UMA goes through the internet somehow. Does this mean if I make calls using the UMA connection whilst roaming I not be charged roaming costs?

I am on Orange UK using a 9700. I connected to UMA in Spain.

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-11 08:34 PM
    When UMA is active, you have full access to your voice and data plan.

In practice, that means you can use it Internationally without incurring roaming charges.

Some carriers, Rogers in Canada, block International IP address for the additional roaming revenues. To the best of my knowledge, Orange does not block IP connections.
    06-20-11 12:00 AM
    When UMA is active, you have full access to your voice and data plan.

In practice, that means you can use it Internationally without incurring roaming charges.

Some carriers, Rogers in Canada, block International IP address for the additional roaming revenues. To the best of my knowledge, Orange does not block IP connections.
    Brilliant, thanks very much!

06-20-11 02:00 AM
    Brilliant, thanks very much!

When connected to a wifi hotspot turn off the mobile network and just leave wifi on. That should kick UMA on.

06-20-11 04:33 AM
    As Reed Mclay stated just be 100% sure to check with your carrier on if the charge additional for UMA. I travel to Florida often and my last trip i used Wifi at my condo and my rogers bill was astounding! Just double check to make sure!
    06-20-11 06:41 PM
    Orange dosent block ip but does block location it can be done but make sure you are on uma or you will get a large bill
    06-30-11 02:49 PM
    The only safe way to do it is by turning off mobile network and just leaving wifi on.

06-30-11 02:51 PM
    I use Orange UK with a Bold 9700 - I recently went to Mallorca/Majorca. I put the phone into flight mode before turning it off, and turned 'data when roaming' to "off" (whilst still in the UK - the handset then doesn't realise its not in the UK when the signal is off).
    When in Majorca, I did NOT make phone calls or send text messages at all, but I did use email/facebook/twitter/BBM a lot. On the last day of my holiday, I turned the phone signal on, and the handset registered on the Spanish network - so that it 'knew' it was no longer in the UK. I then switched the phone signal off and went back to wi-fi/UMA and continued to use data. I have just looked at my bill for the period I was away - there is NO CHARGE for the data I used over wi-fi. At all. So, as long as your phone signal is off when using the wi-fi/UMA, in my experience, there was no charge. Obviously, I cannot say that this always works and you will not be charged, but I was not charged - so good luck.
    08-16-11 05:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD