Hey guys, im on the Orange network in the UK with my 8900, and my settings are WiFi preferred and as such, when im at home, or around an open wifi connection, it obviously connects via wifi and has Orange - WIFI CONNECTION name on the network bit at the top. It also has UMA connection instead of EDGE/GPRS.

Ive read in some places that this means that i dont use my calling plan minutes but instead gets charged as a local call? I hope not, cos i have more than enough minutes on my plan. Or does it mean, its just improving my connection and still using my plan minutes?

If someone could explain to me this then it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.
    12-24-08 04:30 PM
    You would be using your plan min unless orange has a plan like tmo does with the unlimited calling from hot spot at home

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 04:42 PM
    so either way, i wont get charged extra for it?

Also, going to Amsterdam in january, if i connect to wifi that has UMA, would calls and texts back to the UK be cheaper than a normal call?
    12-24-08 04:55 PM
    Unlicenced Mobile Access (UMA) means you have two path ways for your voice and data.

Each carrier sets their own UMA rules, T-Mobile and Rogers market the unlimited calling benifit, but have different rules when it comes to data.

12-24-08 05:36 PM
    okay, i will have to give orange a call after xmas to clarify what it is they include. It set this up on default settings when i connected to my home wifi, so i imagine orange wouldnt say it up so it would charge me, but i shall make sure. Dont want to get my bill in a month and have tonnes of charges on it!
    12-24-08 05:59 PM
    Orange - BlackBerry

BlackBerry Internet Solution plan only
    �17 6 MB ...
    Orange is not making this easy, this is the basic BlackBerry plan, but there is no mention of UMA or a search dialouge.

Orange extends Unik with world-first 3G UMA service

Orange’s UMA service (Unik) allows customers to use a single handset to make calls by seamlessly switching from fixed WiFi to mobile cellular networks as they leave or enter their home or office.

“The introduction of WiFi into high-end mobile phones has been very successful. Users of such phones are taking advantage of WiFi to stream and download multimedia to their phones more quickly and more cheaply than they can over cellular. This usage trend can be supported effectively by making the experience seamless, removing the need for users to think about and switch manually between different access points and network domains.”
    No mention of unlimited anything in the Orange Press release. They are are marketing the Quality of Service benifit.

Regarding your question about using it abroad, My carrier, Rogers, does screen international IP addresses. That is just plain mean.

T-Mobile, on the other hand, does not discriminate by IP address. Using it abroad is like using it at home. Unlimited calling is the market feature.
    12-24-08 07:28 PM
    okay. i just checked my online call list, and it comes up as homezone on the bill with no extra cost, so that bits cleared up. Seems to use my inclusive minutes. As for abroad, i may give orange a call sometime and check, tho they wont have a clue what to say, from other peoples experiences, they never seem to have a clue when it comes to blackberry and bb plans.
    12-24-08 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD