Does data you use on umm count towards your data limit?

What about Wifi?

Blackberries have a peculiar way of moving data. I am confused.

Thanks for any forthcoming responses...
    01-28-11 02:53 AM
    UMA calling only works trough wifi and wifi is free to use, well you pay a separate bill for that too
    Make sure your browser is set to "internet browser"
    01-28-11 03:32 AM
    There's no fee for uma on t-mobile.
    I just need to know if data used on uma counts towards my data plan or not. The way blackberries do data is different than most other phones, so i am unsure.

Don't care about minutes i use less than 200 a month

i am reading a no from your post so important gonna run with that.

There giving me unlimited data for the first month to gauge my data usage but i wanted to know in case i keep the line, which i probably will...
    01-28-11 04:05 AM
    Wifi is Free.

UMA runs on Wifi
    01-28-11 05:26 AM
    I had a problem with Orange once, if you have your browser set to "wap browser" even if you're on wifi it will charge you as the browser would then ignore the wifi and use the carrier's network.
    UMA can be a life saver if you have a meeting deep inside a building or basement.
    01-28-11 07:03 AM
    It is important to note, different carriers have different policy in place for UMA.

T-Mobile (USA) does not count UMA data against their data plan limits.

Rogers (Canada) does count UMA data in there plan. I belive that is also true for O2 and Orange (UK)
    01-28-11 10:08 AM
    It is important to note, different carriers have different policy in place for UMA.

T-Mobile (USA) does not count UMA data against their data plan limits.

Rogers (Canada) does count UMA data in there plan. I belive that is also true for O2 and Orange (UK)
    I though Rogers Counted UMA toward your AirTime not your data plan..

I'll have to look into this again
    01-28-11 10:21 AM
    The OP asked specificaly about data over UMA.

UMA also provides voice and text support. My Rogers contract includes the optional Talkspot package for unlimited national calling using UMA. Other carriers may offer different support packages.

01-28-11 10:27 AM
    Yes, I'm more concerned about Data since I typically have like 500 minutes left at the end of a billing cycle (can easily accomodate any usage spikes) and Family Unlimited Texting.

I was just wondering about data because I may keep it on a 200 MB data plan if I don't need unlimited (I have that other phone to do heavy mobile browsing on when needed). Since WiFi is at so many places, I was wondering how UMA was counted against the data plan (I'm on T-Mobile USA) since so many things go through RIM's servers instead of directly over the internet to the destination (BBM, Applications that requires a BB Data Plan, etc.).

Thanks for the responses!!!

UPS needs to hurry up and get here...

And RIM needs to add AppWorld to Desktop Manager the way iTunes and Zune integrate the app stores!
    01-28-11 01:22 PM
    on tmobile your DATA when on wifi is completely free, when using UMA the minutes count towards your plan, same applies for sms and mms, data is FREE once again while on wifi even when using UMA
    01-28-11 01:41 PM
    I though Rogers Counted UMA toward your AirTime not your data plan..

I'll have to look into this again
    UMA is wifi calling and if you see that instead of 3G then you are connected to wifi which means the data is going through your router and its free. I have the Rogers Unlimited WiFi Calling on my Data Plan (included in both $40 and $50 Blackberry Data Plans) which means free calling when i'm connected to wifi. Data as far as my experience, I haven't seen any data added to my usage when i'm connected to UMA. So UMA also tells you that you are connected to wifi and won't count towards your usage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-11 03:51 PM
    UPS came like 30 minutes after I made that last post. Umm, have the double character issue on this one (MEXICO 1). It's not too bad. If it gets worse I will make T-Mobile exchange the unit out...

Enjoying it so far...

UMA = Talking in a rink while everyone else looks at me curiously and runs to check if they have any bars on their phones. HAHA!
    01-28-11 09:08 PM
    UPS came like 30 minutes after I made that last post. Umm, have the double character issue on this one (MEXICO 1). It's not too bad. If it gets worse I will make T-Mobile exchange the unit out...

Enjoying it so far...

UMA = Talking in a rink while everyone else looks at me curiously and runs to check if they have any bars on their phones. HAHA!
    Ha, I did exactly that once when collecting a package from a bank's ** post room in a basement. The package wasn't left down yet and I had to phone the contact person.
    I pull the phone out and they tell me "mate, no phone works here, wanna use our phone?" I say, no, it's ok and make the call, the look on their faces said it all
    No longer with Orange UK since then though
    01-29-11 01:59 AM
    As far as I know, UMA data with O2-UK does not count towards your data limit. Due to our draconian data limits that are made possible due to WiFi, to charge for UMA data (SMS/calls are irrelevant to the point I'm making) would be basically saying hey we don't care about providing a decent customer service, we're gonna nickle and dime you for everything, even moreso than Verizon Wireless in the US. I don't see O2-UK and Orange UK doing that.
    01-29-11 02:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD