I recently bought a blackberry 8520 with tmobile as my network provider -- i however receive no cell phone reception at my home and have turned on the wifi hoping to be able to make calls over uma. I have a couple questions:

1.uma's success rate fluctuates - somedays it'll work all day, other days it won't work at all or work for like 3-4 minutes. how do i rectify this? (it goes from uma to SOS)
    2.does this mean i'll be able to make calls/send texts anywhere i have wifi signal?
    3.will using uma over wifi have extra costs?
    07-21-10 12:11 AM
    Sounds like it's a problem with your router. When you have problems, reset your router.

Wherever you have UMA, you can/get calls, send/receive texts, and have data.

UMA costs nothing extra. The minutes/messages just come out of your normal monthly allotment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 12:16 AM
    will i get uma anywhere i get wifi?
    thanks for the quick response*
    Last edited by darkxdust; 07-21-10 at 12:24 AM.
    07-21-10 12:19 AM
    If it's the wifi in your house, sure.

Most wifi spots (like public ones, etc) do work fine UMA-wise provided that you're logged in (like Starbucks wifi). But some wifi networks may block some voip-like connections which could prevent you from getting uma. The only place I have encountered this is on my college campus. They block voip when connected to mobile devices. Security reasons maybe?

All other wifi places I've connected work great with UMA, provided the signal is decent.

07-21-10 12:31 AM
    The OP is experiencing connection problems. The built in Wifi Diagnostics should help pinpoint where the problem is occuring.

Connections / Wifi Status. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics.

The first part is your Wifi connection. If you have a good connection you should see two green check marks and a Successful Connection status message. If not, the status error message will help you locate the cause.

The second part is the UMA connection. Scroll down to UMA where you should see two green check marks and a successful connection or an error message.

One detail to confirm, you post is in lower case only. That is fine for most things, but there is a difference between "uma" and "UMA". Which does your BlackBerry display?
    07-21-10 11:07 AM
    my cellphone used to display uma - but now it only shows the SOS thing

under wifi my association and authentication both get check marks
    however under the uma section i get a check mark for UMA wi-fi available, but connection, registration, and authentication all of Xs (the status says: unknown error encountered)
    07-21-10 11:56 AM
    That is good news, it means everything is fine on your BlackBerry and identifies your Carrier being at fault. They have misconfigured your plan.

Call customer service and give them the UMA status message. That "should" get it escolated to the geeks that actually make things work.
    07-21-10 12:53 PM
    Also might be a router problem...I am constantly having to reset mine to get UMA to work.

07-21-10 10:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD