heys..
    anyone knows any way i can disable UMA?
    03-30-08 07:53 PM
    Why do you want to disable uma? Why not just turn off wifi?
    03-30-08 08:04 PM
    Cause i want to use the wifi, but im afraid if the UMA is on, that my cell carrier might see data usage and charge me for the data usages.
    03-30-08 08:20 PM
    Cause right now when I have my wifi turned on, I see UMA on top right and my router's profile in the center of the screen with my carrier's name..im just paranoid i guess that they might see the data usages
    03-30-08 08:21 PM
    I wouldn't be concerned about that. That's the whole point of wifi dude. For it to not use the carrier's network. If you are that paranoid then disable the mobile network when you use wifi.
    03-30-08 08:33 PM
    You can easily disable UMA by going to Options >Mobile Network >Connection Preference >Mobile Network Only. You will still get wifi for your data but calls and sms will go over EDGE.

FYI, even with UMA off your data will still go though your wifi/TMo and Blackberry. On TMobile US you will not be charged extra for data.
    Last edited by John Clark; 03-30-08 at 09:02 PM.
    03-30-08 08:38 PM
    i guess... thanks alot for the quick reply/help.
    03-30-08 09:00 PM
    I have a Q about UMA. Say I am in a place where there's poor Tmobile network coverage but I have a strong wifi connection. Will connecting to that network and making calls over UMA improve my call quality/strength and make-up for the poor network coverage?
    05-18-08 10:39 AM
    I have a Q about UMA. Say I am in a place where there's poor Tmobile network coverage but I have a strong wifi connection. Will connecting to that network and making calls over UMA improve my call quality/strength and make-up for the poor network coverage?
    Yes. That is one of the many advantages of the WiFi enabled 8320.

The quality over UMA is really good from my experience and if you go out of range of the WiFi network your BlackBerry will switch back to EDGE without any dropped calls or anything. WiFi browsing is also available for people without data plans... but all of the features of having a data plan are not available, such as instant messaging (correct me if I am wrong). I have not found a way to IM on WiFi exclusively
    06-02-08 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD