I have an unlocked UK Blackberry (was originally Orange). I moved to Banff Canada. Since arriving I have changed the country code to Canada on my handset. I have also bought a Canadian SIM. However, when I try to send a text home to the UK it seems to take hours and hours to arrive in the UK.

Also, I have been unable to get BBM working using my wifi connection.

I'm generally pretty good with tech but this one has me stumped.

Any ideas folks?
    11-06-11 12:21 PM
    You cannot use BBM with wifi. As for the text it must be the carrier you are using.
    11-06-11 07:13 PM
    I don't know about GSM devices but on my Verizon Bold 9650/6.0.0.524 I can absolutely use BBM on WiFi without mobile coverage. Quite a few times I've turned off mobile coverage while connected to WiFi and used BBM without a problem.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    11-06-11 07:16 PM
    I have an unlocked UK Blackberry (was originally Orange). I moved to Banff Canada. Since arriving I have changed the country code to Canada on my handset. I have also bought a Canadian SIM. However, when I try to send a text home to the UK it seems to take hours and hours to arrive in the UK.

Also, I have been unable to get BBM working using my wifi connection.

I'm generally pretty good with tech but this one has me stumped.

Any ideas folks?
    Do you have a BlackBerry data plan from the Canadian carrier? You cannot use BBM without one.
    11-06-11 09:12 PM
    Are you using Rogers prepaid?
    11-07-11 10:22 AM
    The text issue is probably the Service Centre number. The carrier can tell you what that is.
    11-07-11 10:27 AM
    1st things 1st, cant think of anywhere in the world id rather live, the wife and I drove a camper van threw the national parks in Canada 6-7 years ago and stayed in Banff and I fell in love with the place.

regarding BBM im of the understanding that BBM`s are sent on a sub band of the mobile data network which is not the same as the one voice comms goes over hence why bbm`s still get threw even when you have no signal strength displayed.
    11-07-11 11:27 AM
    I think that contacting your carrier is the first thing to do... SMS should work fast even without services books and data services and even by using a prepaid sim card with unlocked device.

Contact your carrier in Canada and see if they can answer your question about the SMS...

About the WIFI and BBM, you need a Blackberry data plan for BBM to work with your unlocked blackberry... and also you need to update the service books and use those that used by the carrier you are using with your unlocked Blackberry.

Personally, i think that switching a SIM card will solve the problem with the SMS... when you are unlocking a Blackberry you can insert any GSM sim card into it from any carrier (Worldwide) and even without a Data plan it should work immediately for SMS and calls.
    Blackberry data plan and data services are required to use a Blackberry handset for data services "smoothly".
    11-07-11 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD