Hiya guys,

I'm confused. I am about to get my first blackberry, specifically the bold 9700. I have been searching high and low for good monthly plans for this phone and have often come across terms and phrases that confuse me concerning the internet plans.

Aside from the minutes and the texts, each carrier terms their 'internet allowances' differently. Now I know that to receive the full benefit of a blackberry, a data plan and the blackberry email service should be present on the plan.

All I can seem to see with these monthly plans is that yes, they do say that they include the blackberry email service, but in terms of the data plan, they appear to be very vague and tell me the internet data allowance for the month. My confusion starts HERE. Do these plans that say they have an internet data plan allowance INCLUDE the blackberry data plan? I don't want to get the phone and find out that I can't touch RIM's apps because I'm not on a BB data plan.

For example:

One tariff from Vodafone is as follows:

bold 9700, 30 per month, 900 mins, unlim. texts, 500mb internet data, includes blackberry email service.

I asked an advisor about this tariff, asking whether the '500mg data' does include the blackberry data and was told that yes it did in fact include it. But I am still sceptical. I am based in the UK, but I should imagine you get the idea of what I am saying.#

Ideally, I need a plan with a good internet data allowance, the bb email service and including the bb data plan (generally so that I can use my bb to it's full potential)

I just need someone to help me understand more the bb plans and whether these 'internet data allowances' do infact include the bb data plan.

Please If I am missing something vital or have misunderstood something, tell me or refer me to a previous thread/guide.

Thanks for your help,

- Keelan
    Last edited by KeeJen; 08-23-10 at 07:40 PM.
    08-23-10 06:15 PM
    Every data plan allows full use of the blackberry. without it, you don't have it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-10 02:49 AM
    Hiya guys,

I'm confused. I am about to get my first blackberry, specifically the bold 9700. I have been searching high and low for good monthly plans for this phone and have often come across terms and phrases that confuse me concerning the internet plans.

Aside from the minutes and the texts, each carrier terms their 'internet allowances' differently. Now I know that to receive the full benefit of a blackberry, a data plan and the blackberry email service should be present on the plan.

All I can seem to see with these monthly plans is that yes, they do say that they include the blackberry email service, but in terms of the data plan, they appear to be very vague and tell me the internet data allowance for the month. My confusion starts HERE. Do these plans that say they have an internet data plan allowance INCLUDE the blackberry data plan? I don't want to get the phone and find out that I can't touch RIM's apps because I'm not on a BB data plan.

For example:

One tariff from Vodafone is as follows:

bold 9700, 30 per month, 900 mins, unlim. texts, 500mb internet data, includes blackberry email service.

I asked an advisor about this tariff, asking whether the '500mg data' does include the blackberry data and was told that yes it did in fact include it. But I am still sceptical. I am based in the UK, but I should imagine you get the idea of what I am saying.#

Ideally, I need a plan with a good internet data allowance, the bb email service and including the bb data plan (generally so that I can use my bb to it's full potential)

I just need someone to help me understand more the bb plans and whether these 'internet data allowances' do infact include the bb data plan.

Please If I am missing something vital or have misunderstood something, tell me or refer me to a previous thread/guide.

Thanks for your help,

- Keelan
    Hi matey, i'm a fellow UK user so I'll try and explain this as best as I can

Firstly it helps if you understand that an internet allowance is a reference to how much data is allowed to be downloaded before extra charges are handed out.

Ok, now when your network provider says "Blackberry Email Service" they actually mean "Blackberry Internet Service" or BIS for short....this is basically a service which your blackberry will connect to so it can receive all internet data (this includes email & web browsing).

imagine BIS as a more advanced Internet add on for a mobile phone but it only works with Blackberry's.

If you had a phone that was NOT a blackberry then you would use the normal Internet Addon that the network has available.

Most mobile networks in the UK offer both the "Internet Addon" and "Blackberry Internet Services" together on price plans around 25 or above.

So as a blackberry user you dont really need the internet addon as Blackberry Internet Services provide internet access anyway but it doesnt matter as you will be getting both free on your contract.

HOWEVER, I don't want to confuse you but most blackberry's have the ability to connect directly to the molbie networks Internet gateway using the internet addon (not BIS) by using the TCP setting in the blackberru's options menu (this is just like a non blackberry accessing the internet). you wouldn't be able to send & receive emails or browse the internet using Blackberry browser (as this is a BIS function) but you would be able to use applications that communicate to the internet using the TCP gateway.

So to sum up:

* If you purchase a blackberry on a contract then you'll most probably have Blackberry Internet Services included.

* Depending on the price plan, the mobile network may also include free mobile browsing (Internet Addon) which you won't even use since your blackberry will use the BIS add on.
    08-24-10 04:15 AM
    Thanks kparton, your explanation was very helpful I can now rest easy
    08-24-10 06:17 AM
    I'm on T-Mobile UK and when I first took the contract out I had the BlackBerry email booster but didn't have the unlimited internet booster. I was sometimes getting charged for surfing the internet, sometimes I wasn't. I made a phone call to T-Mobile and was told I should add the unlimited internet booster to avoid any additional costs. So I did and havn't been charged for surfing since. Still not sure why I was sometimes being charged but for a fiver a month I don't have to worry about it any more.
    08-24-10 03:43 PM
    T-Mobile UK are horrible for the design of there monthly plans! and they will try and charge you extra for anything and everything.

Only T-Mobile would design the FLEXT packages..these are horrible!

In my experience they are the least blackberry friendly mobile operator in the UK

Orange & Vodafone are the best option for a decent blackberry monthly price plan...02 are ok.
    08-25-10 03:33 AM
    They split the PAYG BIS too.... 5 for Email & 5 for Web 'n walk when others only charge 5 which includes both
    08-25-10 06:46 AM
    I guess orange provides the cheapest BIS plan, 5 a month unlimited BIS plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-10 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD