Hello,
    I am new to the community and have used blackberry curve 8900 with Tzone (wap.voicestream.com) for a month and half now. Since last thursday, I notice my phone was having trouble retrieving email from the google app, and I can no longer browse the web with opera and the blackberry browser. I thought maybe because I was in Vegas, that it possibly out of service. When I got home, I have tried using two other address, epc.tmobile.com and internet2.voicestream.com, but they were also not working. I have tried testing the network connection with opera, and it says it is connected to the network. Finally, the wifi connection to my router is showing up as connected on my phone, but it is not switching to wifi. it remains un-highlighted and remains on the edge network. What should I do?
    08-17-09 04:26 PM
    Do you have the BB data plan?
    08-17-09 04:34 PM
    no, I use tzone with the phone.
    08-17-09 04:35 PM
    Then you can only use the browsers on wifi. In opera go to settings and select wifi as the connection type. In the BB browser set it as hotspot.
    The wifi icon will stay grayed out without the data plan but you will still be connected to wifi.
    08-17-09 04:42 PM
    I did that for both the opera and BB browser, but it is not working. my phone automatically switches to UMA and the wifi is highlighted when I"m at home. But it remains on the EDGE network, and the wifi is un-highlighted since I got home last night. I am able to reset the wifi network and connect to my router, but the phone will not make the switch from edge to uma
    08-17-09 04:56 PM
    What do you mean when you say "my phone automatically switches to UMA and the wifi is highlighted when I"m at home." and then follow that up with "But it remains on the EDGE network, and the wifi is un-highlighted since I got home last night."? Those statements are contradictory and it makes it very hard to determine what is going on with your situation.

In any case to get WiFi, here are some settings to check:

Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Connection Preference = WiFi Preferred
    Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Data Services = On

Browser > BB Button > Options > Browser Configuration > Browser = Hotspot
    Browser > BB Button > Options > General Properties > Browser = Hotspot
    08-17-09 05:05 PM
    sorry for the confusion. what I meant to say is the UMA icon will show up when I get home for the past 1 and half months. That usually tells me i'm connected to the router. But the UMA is no longer showing up. It just says Edge, and I believe I am no longer able to connect to wifi. I checked all my setting, and they are set up correctly to the instruction above. When I open the browser and type in a address, it just says fail to connect.
    08-17-09 05:18 PM
    Are you sure all the settings are correct? Did you try a battery pull on your device? Did you try to restart your router?
    08-17-09 05:20 PM
    Thanks aristile, I just needed to pull out the batteries. I did everything else except for that.
    08-17-09 05:28 PM
    Good ole battery pull saves the day again. My apologies for not mentioning this earlier as it is definitely the first thing you should try anytime the device is giving you problems.
    08-17-09 05:31 PM
    We should have a "Battery Pull" sticky thread at the top of every forum page... pull your battery, and How To guide, before reporting any issues!!! I'd say 90% of people with 10 or less postings have a battery pull related issue.
    08-17-09 06:38 PM
    You are so right, fatboy!
    08-17-09 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD