Hi Guy � Look, I�m really sorry for posting what most of you experts will conclude ridiculous and obvious questions....

Ok, apologies out of the way!!

1st Question - My wife has kindly bought me a Blackberry Curve 3820 for our anniversary. The method behind her madness is that I am forced to work away from her and my beautiful daughter. She thought that I would be able to keep in touch with them via email, but I don�t have access to any work base email account, I only have a normal internet email account [eg hotmail]. Is there anyway of creating an email account to do this on the blackberry.

2nd Question � WiFi on Blackberry, what is it, I know what WiFi is, I even have a WiFi Network at home which I have managed to connect my Blackberry Curve to, however, what do I do with it..? What are the perks, Am I able to connect to the internet using the Computer networks internet connection free of charge or share files etc - I really have no idea!! So any help would be brilliant....

Presently the BB is locked to UK Orange network, but am awaiting the arrival of the code from GSM Phone Source � I intend converting my current 02 contract to the Business Blackberry tariff extra �10 for free 75MB

Honestly, I�m really sorry for such dumb questions, but I am a total newbie to the BB! Thank you all!
    02-27-08 01:53 PM
    answer to the first question
    Hotmail will work on a BB, but you either have to have it for 7years or so, or have the premium(purchased) version
    Most people use a gmail account, which you can get at www.gmail.com once you set that up, you can go into your Setup Personal Email icon, and setup your gmail to be pushed directly to your BB.
    02-27-08 01:56 PM
    Ah...I have googlemail.com account is that the same..! I'm sure it is!

Ok, I am following the instructions on the Gmail site, however, it states that I need to select Settings | Personal email - I don't appear to have this setting. The only two opitions I have to select from are

"I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server" or "I want to skip email set up"

Ideas.....
    Last edited by Lanyman; 02-27-08 at 02:58 PM.
    02-27-08 02:09 PM
    gmail is the best, and when you setup with bb e-mail you an use bb e-mail with them
    02-27-08 04:36 PM
    go here http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/what...site-url-3187/
    find your BIS and log in there, you should be able to add the address through there
    02-27-08 04:41 PM
    Hi Lanyman welcome to CB!

When you get your Blackberry Plan from o2 you will then get service books (settings) sent to your BB and one of them will give you an email set up icon & from there or if you prefer the o2 Blackberry Internet Service Website you can set up your email. You will not be able to set your email up until then.

O2's data package is actually 200mb not 75. I have the �10 Blackberry Internet Service plan too.
    02-27-08 04:42 PM
    Thanks all..!

@Hazysky
    Recieved the following quote from 02 this afternoon
    BIS Ulimited Per MB Roaming: �10.00
    Customer will auto get 500MB Mailbox on the 02email.co.uk
    When In the UK:
    - Sending and receiving emails -There will be no bundle, but a fair usage policy of 75MB
    - Data transfer WAP - Not included in the fair usage policy
    When Roaming: All data transfer will be charged accourding to the tier of the country the customer is roaming in

BIS PAYU per MB Roaming: FREE
    When In the UK:
    - For sending and receiving emails - Customer will be charged per MB
    All WAP/WEB usage customers will be charged per MB
    When Roaming: Customers will be charged per MB for sending and receiving emails

BIS Unlimited BB Monthly Roaming: �23.50
    When in the UK:
    - For sending and receiving emails - There will be no bundle, but a fair usage policy of 75MB
    - Data transfer WAP - Not included in the fair usage policy
    When Roaming: Sending and receiving of emails whilst abroad WILL BE FREE OF CHARGE, WEB browsing will be included as part of 75MB fair usage policy

Hmm - Thats strange, why they would only offer me 75MB and not 200MB - Line rental is at the moment �37 + �10 BIS total of �47..!!

Any ideas
    02-27-08 06:27 PM
    I will get back to you tonight with a copy of the o2 price plan which is on my pc at home or maybe I will post the link via wap later on.
    They have also included o2 wap charges as part of the 200mb allowance from 1st Feb.
    They have obviously sent you old literature.
    I use mine with a simplicity pay monthly sim and pay �25 per month in total mind you I got a �10 discount for 12 months!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-08 02:56 AM
    Gmail flippin sucks! Set up a yahoo account. Its much faster to my berry!

02-28-08 03:06 AM
    Hi

Just been on the net at work to find a link for you and found this business tariff (I am on a consumer tariff) note that it clearly says 200mb.
    As you have wifi you should be able to browse the net for free you shouldn't have to worry about days useage.
    Threa is also a special offer on for calls / texts so you could swap plans & keep your number.

o2 (link)

02-28-08 03:39 AM
    Not sure if I put the link in correctly in the previous post so here we go again!

O2 - Tariff Index.

02-28-08 03:47 AM
    Hazysky

Brilliant you are a star- that gives me somthing to have a go �47 month and only recieve 75MB bit unfair!!!

What do you mean, As I have wifi I should be able to browse the net for free you shouldn't have to worry about days useage. How does that work?
    02-28-08 04:19 AM
    I meant data useage not days! Can't edit post via wap!!

I meant exactly what I said you should be able to browse the web for free if you have wifi (I don't) according to what I have read on here.

However the BIS service doesn't come over wifi & will use data from your allowance instead. To be clear the BIS service is email, instant messageing etc & browsing via the BB browser. You should also get a wifi browser.

I think you will get 200mb - they have just given you the wrong info which is par for the course with their customer services!

Hope this makes things clearer for you.

02-28-08 05:34 AM
    You mentioned wifi in your first post so I assumed your BB had built in wifi.

02-28-08 05:39 AM
    Yes it does, i was just was unsure how or what I could do with this form of connection on a mobile - But at last, I have figured it out, it's brilliant, exactly as you said, there is an option for prefered connections I've set it to WiFi - I can now access the Wifi browser and go on the internet!!! Thank you so much!!! Can I access emails this way also "free of charge"..?
    02-28-08 06:37 AM
    No, see my post above - BIS (emails etc) is not available over wifi at least not yet.

Might be a good idea for you to head over to the wifi section to gather more info.

02-28-08 06:49 AM
    Thank you!
    02-28-08 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD