11-09-19 06:43 PM
82 ... 234
tools
    The premise of the conversation was consumer interest in Blackberry phones. Try to keep up.
    Well, if you want to limit the conversation to BlackBerry Limited's interest in the consumer space, it'll be a very short and pointless conversation. Other than a few dated designs, almost all of BB's patents have to do with technology that is very much in demand.

I agree with your assessment that there is little to no evidence of interest among OEMs in 2019 to license BlackBerry Limited's design patents for a phone that looks like a vintage BlackBerry. Is that really all you were trying to say?

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    bh7171 likes this.
    11-08-19 09:03 PM
    TCL gets BlackBerry Android as part of its licencing fee. Carriers don't pay, but can mandate support terms from their suppliers.
    Makes me winder even more, why are there carriers who don't give update to their keys
    11-09-19 04:58 AM
    Makes me winder even more, why are there carriers who don't give update to their keys
    Perhaps it is not worth the hassle of testing the OS for such a small number of users.
    11-09-19 09:13 AM
    Right, but they're not perfect.

Each new OnePlus device is heavier and more cumbersome than the one before it.

They still don't have IP rating or wireless charging, something Samsung has had since like 2014.

Also, they dropped the headphone jack and notification LED starting with the 6T I believe.

I used a 6 for a bit and it was pretty good but just very unergonomic
    No, they're not perfect, but they're much better than some that have been in the game longer. I have a 6t - it's bigger than the LG G6 I had before it but feels smaller, and just slightly heavier. This is probably as big of a device as I'd go though, I can still one-hand it but I'd have issues with a larger screen and/or less ergonomic design. I can't say dropping the headphone jack is a problem since I never use it anyway, and I haven't had a device with a LED since 2015 so no big deal there either. The thing I thought I'd miss was wireless charging but honestly this thing charges so fast and the battery goes forever that all I do is plug it in when I'm not using it for a bit and it's good to go all day - I don't bother scheduling when I need to charge with events of the day like I have with every device between my 9930 and this 6t. It's very freeing.

The thing I really view as a negative is the IP rating - while I'm aware that it probably could take some abuse, I'd really like the confidence that it was backed up. But then again, the G6 is rated IP68 and went through military grade drop testing. Mine seems to seek out opportunities to test it like no phone before - granite countertops, slate flooring, tile flooring, concrete parking lots, metal racks; if it got dirty I'd run it under a faucet and wipe it down. I was so relaxed about its construction that I carried it sans case 100%, until the day it took a little drop onto a basketball court. Picked it up, tried to blow off the little hair on the screen until I realized it wasn't moving because it was actually a little crack. Ultimately I had to buy a new phone because the microphone was also damaged and I couldn't talk to anyone without a headset. So the 6t gets a case because even though OnePlus suggests it should be fine with water and Zach (JerryRigEverything)worked it over. Other than that I'm a huge fan.
    11-09-19 12:40 PM
    Perhaps it is not worth the hassle of testing the OS for such a small number of users.
    I have friend with a conspiracy theory that they're in league with federal and local government to get people locked into making payments with more expensive phones - higher bills mean more taxes and fees.
    11-09-19 12:46 PM
    Updates always come with SOME expense, as carriers want to thoroughly test, at the very least, all of the radios, when it comes to carrier-sold devices, the carrier is the primary support provider, and an update that breaks things can create big support expenses for the carrier - up to and including a free replacement phone. No update, no risk. That's why updates almost never happened in the pre-smartphone days, even though that ability has been around since the launch of 2G data networks.
    11-09-19 06:30 PM
    Despite that, we still seem to have companies like OnePlus and Nokia making some inroads. Let's not forget the Pixel too.

I'm not sure why Samsung would want to licence and/or offer a keyboard product. The market has been shown to be essentially insignificant. And by NOT offering one, people would have to switch anyway.
    I would say OnePlus and Nokia indeed, but Pixel? Google don’t seem to be losing sleep over sales of Pixels, anytime Google releases hardware they seem to use it more as a showcase of what is possible with their latest Platform/OS it’s running, I see no point in counting Google in any hardware race as they are simply not concerned about it at all, from what I see. I would not be surprised if Google are actually losing money on the Pixel project, but Android as an OS probably covers the loss easily.

With that said I have my doubts about Google wanting to ever partner up with a mobile manufacturer again after buying Motorola that turned not to be really worth it and then buying part of HTC to build the Pixel line which isn’t too hot.
    11-09-19 06:43 PM
82 ... 234