Well for the past couple of years all mobile smartphone users have been relegated to two viable but not necessarily better OS in Apple and Android. Now with Samsung making high quality offerings at every price point and carrier BOGO or even "free" flagship type devices like the S10e for new lines or 24 month activation it's all but over for all other OEM's on Android. On the iOS side it's all Apple and they are following with the upcoming SE replacement for various price points.

Sure other OEM's make nice devices but the grip of Apple and Samsung, at least here in the States is going to doom all other players. I guess my pipe dream now would be Blackberry licensing their PKB to Samsung for a Galaxy "Key" version.

I know all the "Huge" Chinese brands are big elsewhere but no carrier here offers their customers those phones so their really not material or viable. And with carriers in essence giving the latest iPhones or Galaxy's away it's moot.

Anyone else here in the States think any other brand has a chance with the current scenarios? It's unfortunate as I remember all the various brands (Motorola, LG, HTC, Blackberry, etc alongside the Samsungs and Apples. Now it's Apple and Samsung almost exclusively.. 😏
    11-04-19 10:03 AM
    Well for the past couple of years all mobile smartphone users have been relegated to two viable but not necessarily better OS in Apple and Android. Now with Samsung making high quality offerings at every price point and carrier BOGO or even "free" flagship type devices like the S10e for new lines or 24 month activation it's all but over for all other OEM's on Android. On the iOS side it's all Apple and they are following with the upcoming SE replacement for various price points.

Sure other OEM's make nice devices but the grip of Apple and Samsung, at least here in the States is going to doom all other players. I guess my pipe dream now would be Blackberry licensing their PKB to Samsung for a Galaxy "Key" version.

I know all the "Huge" Chinese brands are big elsewhere but no carrier here offers their customers those phones so their really not material or viable. And with carriers in essence giving the latest iPhones or Galaxy's away it's moot.

Anyone else here in the States think any other brand has a chance with the current scenarios? It's unfortunate as I remember all the various brands (Motorola, LG, HTC, Blackberry, etc alongside the Samsungs and Apples. Now it's Apple and Samsung almost exclusively..
    Despite that, we still seem to have companies like OnePlus and Nokia making some inroads. Let's not forget the Pixel too.

I'm not sure why Samsung would want to licence and/or offer a keyboard product. The market has been shown to be essentially insignificant. And by NOT offering one, people would have to switch anyway.
    11-04-19 10:09 AM
    Nokia is winning the "keyboard market" again with not so cheap feature phones with KaiOS
    HDM right now is probably the best partner for BlackBerry. and it would be an amazing story. Two former rivals coming together to destroy the great villain

Posted via Classic Immortal edition
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    11-04-19 03:35 PM
    HDM right now is probably the best partner for BlackBerry.
    If HDM is making an acceptable profit with Nokia-branded phones, why would they want to risk losing money on BlackBerry-branded phones?
    TgeekB, John Albert and ppeters914 like this.
    11-04-19 03:52 PM
    If HDM is making an acceptable profit with Nokia-branded phones, why would they want to risk losing money on BlackBerry-branded phones?
    Why do you think BB is too risky? Currently they are the kings of keyboard phones. I can't see other better (and stable) partner.

bb9900user2018 and chain13 like this.
    11-04-19 03:58 PM
    Nokia is winning the "keyboard market" again with not so cheap feature phones with KaiOS
    HDM right now is probably the best partner for BlackBerry. and it would be an amazing story. Two former rivals coming together to destroy the great villain

Villain?
    11-04-19 04:00 PM
    Villain?
    samsung )

11-04-19 04:04 PM
    Exactly. I know this is a fan site but people have to realize there is nothing related to BlackBerry phones that anyone else sees as worthy to bet on. Nothing.
    John Albert and ppeters914 like this.
    11-04-19 04:15 PM
    Why do you think BB is too risky? Currently they are the kings of keyboard phones. I can't see other better (and stable) partner.

Kings of the keyboard phones.....that are not profitable.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-04-19 04:15 PM

Anyone else here in the States think any other brand has a chance with the current scenarios? It's unfortunate as I remember all the various brands (Motorola, LG, HTC, Blackberry, etc alongside the Samsungs and Apples. Now it's Apple and Samsung almost exclusively..
    Without the Samsung bloatware then...
    11-04-19 04:17 PM

Because not a single BlackBerry-branded device has ever done anything but lose money. Ever.

The only handset-related venture that was ever successful was BIS SAF.
    John Albert and ppeters914 like this.
    11-04-19 04:22 PM
    Despite that, we still seem to have companies like OnePlus and Nokia making some inroads. Let's not forget the Pixel too.

I'm not sure why Samsung would want to licence and/or offer a keyboard product. The market has been shown to be essentially insignificant. And by NOT offering one, people would have to switch anyway.
    Pixel may have a chance. One Plus is not with all carriers here in US and I don't see Nokia devices on display with any of the big 4 (Soon to be 3) carriers.

When T-Mobile is offering 4 iPhone 11's and unlimited data for 35 dollars/each line for 4 lines. And Samsung has similar offerings it's pretty much over for anyone else at Flagship.

And last year's offerings of the 10R and S9's, A50,70 and 90 at midrange price points or less blow the rest are going to be blown out.

So here in the states it will soon be two OS's, 2 OEM's and 3 major carriers in mobility. Boring but that's the way it is and will be. I believe any of the lessor brands will grind themselves down to 200 and under range. Especially with the lack of true innovation in the slab form factor.
    11-04-19 05:10 PM

Who here would not buy a Galaxy Key with the best screen in the business, stereo speakers, hardware top notch, the latest in Silicon AND a beautiful BlackBerry designed keyboard? I believe it would fit beautifully with their newer foldable devices and various form factors to meet all clients needs.

I would bet anything former and current BlackBerry users would consider and purchase that kind of device through their carrier. I know what my S9 would trade in for...
    11-04-19 05:16 PM
    The only handset-related venture that was ever successful was BIS SAF.[/QUOTE]

And that owned the smartphone market for a period of time. You better believe BlackBerry was making $$ at that time in hardware.

The beautiful, developer unsupported app store, and BlackBerry 10 debacle was the beginning of the hardware demise. Had the BlackBerry Classic been the one and only BlackBerry to launch @ BlackBerry 10 I believe history might have been different. Because a higher volume of sales and demand would have generated more developer interest.

Like those that prefer a PKB a BlackBerry is really our only option...
    11-04-19 05:25 PM
    Pixel may have a chance. One Plus is not with all carriers here in US and I don't see Nokia devices on display with any of the big 4 (Soon to be 3) carriers.

When T-Mobile is offering 4 iPhone 11's and unlimited data for 35 dollars/each line for 4 lines. And Samsung has similar offerings it's pretty much over for anyone else at Flagship.

And last year's offerings of the 10R and S9's, A50,70 and 90 at midrange price points or less blow the rest are going to be blown out.

So here in the states it will soon be two OS's, 2 OEM's and 3 major carriers in mobility. Boring but that's the way it is and will be. I believe any of the lessor brands will grind themselves down to 200 and under range. Especially with the lack of true innovation in the slab form factor.
    Well, the devices I spoke of are trending up, as well as a few Chinese devices. But we'll see I guess.
    11-04-19 05:26 PM
    Who here would not buy a Galaxy Key with the best screen in the business, stereo speakers, hardware top notch, the latest in Silicon AND a beautiful BlackBerry designed keyboard? I believe it would fit beautifully with their newer foldable devices and various form factors to meet all clients needs.

I would bet anything former and current BlackBerry users would consider and purchase that kind of device through their carrier. I know what my S9 would trade in for...
    You're making a whole bunch of assumptions as to how they might build the device. The bottom line is that they would prefer to sell their slabs, and if the market is as you say, it's only between them and Apple anyway.
    11-04-19 05:27 PM

And that owned the smartphone market for a period of time. You better believe BlackBerry was making $$ at that time in hardware.
    They lost money on every piece of hardware they ever sold. In the BBOS days it was a loss-leader to earn SAF revenue. With BB10 and Android, it was a loss-leader for further losses.

I'll say it again, no BlackBerry-branded device in history made a dime in profit.
    Last edited by conite; 11-04-19 at 05:39 PM.
    11-04-19 05:29 PM
    You're making a whole bunch of assumptions as to how they might build the device. The bottom line is that they would prefer to sell their slabs, and if the market is as you say, it's only between them and Apple anyway.
    Samsung as you are aware offers a Note type slab with stylus and now a foldable phone for various business cases and user needs. Why not a killer PKB designed by BlackBerry? Throw a Classic keyboard on a Galaxy chasis and whoa!! Samsung Galaxy Note, Fold, Key and Slab. They would pretty much have it covered.
    11-04-19 06:11 PM
    They lost money on every piece of hardware they ever sold. In the BBOS days it was a loss-leader to earn SAF revenue. With BB10 and Android, it was a loss-leader for further losses.

I'll say it again, no BlackBerry-branded device in history made a dime in profit.
    Without the hardware they never would have had the SAF. The Hardware did make them profitable and their stock price back in the day reflected as much.
    11-04-19 06:14 PM
    Without the hardware they never would have had the SAF. The Hardware did make them profitable and their stock price back in the day reflected as much.
    Yes. That's what a loss-leader is.

But the hardware by itself was always a money pit.
    11-04-19 06:20 PM
    SAF was developed and the pager devices were carryover from borrowed hardware designed as such. Palm, Handspring and BlackBerry had their proprietary and respective OSes to support various revenue models.

The hardware itself wasn’t profitable and is why the carriers wanted to eliminate BBOS hardware and software as soon as possible. Hardware revenue was at best negligible while software and data was split with each carrier. Eliminating BlackBerry SAF put all revenue into carriers themselves.
    11-04-19 06:30 PM
    Who here would not buy a Galaxy Key
    Probably the same people here who passed on the seven Android devices that have been released so far.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-04-19 08:44 PM

I think if Samsung came out with a pkb phone with a licensed BlackBerry keyboard that did not have a single ounce of BlackBerry branding on it, it would sell well. Certainly a lot more units than TCL was able to move with all the key series and Motions combined.
    11-04-19 09:17 PM
    I think if Samsung came out with a pkb phone with a licensed BlackBerry keyboard that did not have a single ounce of BlackBerry branding on it, it would sell well. Certainly a lot more units than TCL was able to move with all the key series and Motions combined.
    So basically it shouldn't even be marketed as "Keyboard by BlackBerry" ?

Works for me! Take my money either way
    11-04-19 10:20 PM
    And I think... it wouldn't.

Doesn't really matter what any of us "think"... Samsung has a feel for how many bought their PKB devices in the past, how many bought their PKB clip on attachments and they can see just how little TCL was able to do. Sorry but while the FOLD is only a niche today.... in the future it might be much, much more.
    Laura Knotek and Linto988 like this.
    11-05-19 09:41 AM
140 123 ...