Hi all, I was just wondering if you feel that a camera in the front and back is too much. Don't get me wrong, video chat is awesome but can't they make the hardware turn around instead of making 2 cameras? I feel like the space within the phone can be better used and since cameras cannot work at the same time anyways. Have something on the phone that spins around the camera part of the phone. What do you guys think?
    12-13-11 10:17 PM
    The reason for two camera because the cam for video chat is of lower quality than the one at the rear. Imagine you video chatting with a 8MP cam, how much data will it ad up ?? Unless you can afford 900$ a month on data plan and the carrier don't had enough spectrum to handle that much data any way
    12-13-11 11:41 PM
    not really its all up to the user. If I want my camera to record in lower resolution I can set it for that.
    when I send videos internationally over BBM i set it to record in 176x144 resolution instead of 720HD.
    cfx_will I have yet to use the 3mp front facing camera on my playbook.
    I dont know if there is any other possible way of making a front facing camera
    than placing it in the front, but who knows with technology
    12-14-11 12:04 AM
    My guess would be that putting a second camera in is far cheaper, easier, and more reliable than a moving part. Personally, I'd rather the second camera than risking having none at all.

Also:-

I dont know if there is any other possible way of making a front facing camera
    than placing it in the front, but who knows with technology
    I LOL'd!
    12-14-11 02:32 AM
    Yes, that would be just brilliant.....let's see if RIM can make a dohickey that will swivel from front to back, keep the phone reasonably thin, and of course then have you post that the camera broke off the phone. Have you ever looked at the new Razr Droid? Forget BB/Android/Apple stuff, just the phone itself.....it's almost as thin as two credit cards, and a lot of the new Android phones have two cameras. Just one more way for RIM to fall even farther behind than they are.

Hi all, I was just wondering if you feel that a camera in the front and back is too much. Don't get me wrong, video chat is awesome but can't they make the hardware turn around instead of making 2 cameras? I feel like the space within the phone can be better used and since cameras cannot work at the same time anyways. Have something on the phone that spins around the camera part of the phone. What do you guys think?
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    12-14-11 09:48 AM
    I don't like two cameras phones.
    12-14-11 08:56 PM
    I enjoy having one. It's nice for video chatting and when you want to be in the picture you're taking and still be able to see what it looks like.
    12-14-11 09:12 PM
    It would be a bad idea to having moving parts on a cell phone if the rear camera was also the front camera. I think this would make cost go up. The cameras are fine just the way they have them now.
    12-14-11 09:16 PM
    personally i do think the front facing camera is necessary. But when looking at other technology outside of cellphones; DSLRs, Macbooks airs, They still have hinges that rotate they are still quite durable. I don't fully know how the design will be like but I would prefer having one solid camera that can serve as front and back camera as opposed to 2 iffy ones.

Then again, I just saw up on android central that new sony xperias are coming out with phones with 12 megapixel cameras. If cameras technology and lens are that expendable having 2 isn't bad either.
    12-14-11 10:47 PM
    Hinges with a camera on a candybar, slider or slate form factor will take up and waste more space than a second smaller and lower picture quality af or edof camera. The additional space a front camera takes is meaningless and barely distorts the original internal and external design. A hinge, however, does screw up any design you try to put/design it on. Try adding a hinge camera on a 9900, or even imagining that... it would look horrible on a thin candybar form factor requiring a complete redesign to add a specific area of the phone for just the hinge and the camera. Its cool on flip phones or phones that have hinges already since it can be reused, but i dont see hinges gaining much success outside that form factor, in fact, i dont remember any successful high end touchscreen phone with a hinged camera.
    Last edited by gbsn; 12-14-11 at 11:05 PM.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    12-14-11 10:50 PM
    Revolving hardware? No thanks! I can only imagine how much more dust will enter through the crevices. Also more likely to get damaged in my opinion.
    12-15-11 04:10 PM
    My buddy had a flip phone years ago with a swivel camera. It was for taking self portraits, so you could see the screen while taking the picture. It was cool until it broke....
    12-15-11 04:19 PM
    ...It was cool until it broke....
    nuff said...
    12-17-11 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD