Does anyone else follow blackberry on Twitter? Did you see the tweet they just sent out about locking your phone so you don't pocket dial? They have the balls to send that tweet out after they took away to lock icon that so many of us used. I replied to the tweet saying to bring back the lock icon. Not sure one reply is going to change anything but I had to let them know. Just wondering if anyone else thought it was funny. I have seen many posts where people are trying to figure out how to lock the phone after they took that away.
    06-07-10 04:01 PM
    The lock icon is gone? Mine is there, just hidden. It's not like I need it when I can just press the top left corner.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 04:06 PM
    It is not there on OS 5.0. Or at least the later versions of it. There was a blog post about it when it was first noticed. Oh and not all blckberries have the button in the top left corner. Try the 8520 curve the my fiance has.
    06-07-10 04:10 PM
    Have you tried the middle key? I'm running a hybrid OS5 on my 9550 just so you know.

06-07-10 04:21 PM
    It's a good tip - my sister used to pocket dial me from her 9530 all the time. Never could get her to start locking the phone...

Anyway, it's still there on [running the current Verizon OS on 8530] - that little lock pad symbol on the "A" key. Hold that, locks the phone. Also you can hold down the center media key or "mute" to both lock and unlock the phone. Or you can set a convenience key for it.

I do admit to not seeing an icon for it within the OS [like for "power off" or other things], but with 3 other ways to lock the phone I can see were an icon would be more then redundant.
    Last edited by rynbeed; 06-07-10 at 04:37 PM.
    06-07-10 04:34 PM
    Yeah I know how to lock and unlock the phone. Doesn't mean it is not as convinient as it used to be. I use a holster and never lock mine. I was just trying to stick up for a lot of other people who hate the change. Namely my fiance. When you unlock the phone with the play pause and don't quit hold the button down long enough it automatically opens the media folder and then you have to back out of that. A lot of people used the lock icon all the time and it is annoying to have it taken away for no reason. I guess what I was trying to do is just being understood.
    06-07-10 04:59 PM
    Wow I wasn't aware that they actually took the icon off. That's stupid.
    06-07-10 05:07 PM
    on OS5 to get the lock icon back you need to set a password, then that icon will grace your screens again
    (and lets face it we should all have passwords on our BB`s)
    06-07-10 05:08 PM
    @daveastra - Good to know. Problem solved, kinda... For awhile I did have a password on my phone, but with the new lock system it created issues. I had the phone lock up several times while trying to come back from lock. Sometimes the password input would not come up. There were other issues that I had, so it ended up just being easier to not have the password instead of having to restart the phone when trying to come back from locked.

I am assuming that the lock icon only comes back up while you have a password set, then goes away when your don't have one?

@jkpitcher - I think that point your making is being understood. I have stated in another thread [lost somewhere in the 8530/20 sub-forum], that I do wish there was an option to disable opening the media folder when pressing the mute key. Maybe having the option to set it like any other convenience key. Until I read that if you just held the key down rather then pressing and releasing it to unlock I to was irritated by the key opening up the media folder every time I wanted to unlock the phone.

I guess the more convenient way to lock the phone for me was to use the hardware keys. It always felt like an extra unnecessary step to use the software icon to lock the phone. So for my use of the device nothing was lost in that icon going away, other then one less hidden icon.
    Last edited by rynbeed; 06-07-10 at 05:26 PM.
    06-07-10 05:21 PM
    on OS5 to get the lock icon back you need to set a password, then that icon will grace your screens again
    (and lets face it we should all have passwords on our BB`s)
    Exactly on both counts

06-07-10 06:25 PM
    I never even paid attention, as I always used standby mode as opposed to the keyboard lock. Good to know...
    06-07-10 09:06 PM
    I'm so damn confused.
    06-08-10 01:36 AM
    Use mine all the time...OS5.

06-08-10 02:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD