i have a curve 8900

sometimes the UMA will turn off and stay off for a good month or so, but then if i leave the house and come back in, somedays it picks it up and connects. I do have WIFI, and i'd rather use wifi without UMA because while uma is running my phone is near useless, it misses ALOT of texts and doesnt send many either, also it misses alot of phone calls.

i know its missing phone calls for a fact because whenever its on i'll see my phone say i have a voice mail and no missed calls, and my carrier has a feature where it sends me a text saying number of missed calls and number of voice mails etc (even if my phone was off) so i know thats the prob

how do i turn it off?
    05-15-09 11:24 AM
    Not sure about the 8900, but the 8220 has an option. In Settings, Options, Mobile Network there's a Connection Preference that can be changed to Mobile Network Only or Mobile Network Preferred.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 09:23 PM
    i'd rather use wifi without UMA because while uma is running my phone is near useless ...
    You used both upper and lower case to describe Unlicenced Mobile Access. There is a difference, UMA means all of your services will use the Internet connection, while uma means the connections is limited.

If you can solve the UMA connection problem, you will be very pleased with the preformance.

Start with: Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics.

If your Internet connection is good, you will have two green check marks or an error message indicating why it has failed.

Scroll down to UMA. A good connection will also have two green check marks or an error message.

05-17-09 01:28 PM
    Sounds like you have a junk router at home (same problem I'm having with a Linksys WRT54G v6). I can only take/receive calls over UMA when I'm in the basement (which is where the router is). I'm sure it's the HVAC ducting that's "blocking" the signal from my router. I'll get it sorted sooner or later (probably by replacing the router with one that actually has decent range).

I'm nearly certain that you can't turn off the handset's UMA (or uma) function and still have WiFi for internet. It would make sense that this is an all-or-nothing thing. But it also doesn't make sense that you can't turn it off in software. Hmm.

I'd take Reed's advice and fix the WiFi connectivity problem. Get a better router or figure out why yours isn't connecting to your handset properly. I'll be writing a new thread for the "best router for in-house UMA" question...
    05-22-09 08:09 AM
    how to turn it off on storm ?
    05-23-09 05:13 PM
    how to turn it off on storm ?
    There is no Wifi or UMA option for Storm. For a change, that is good news.
    05-23-09 07:23 PM
    Not sure about the 8900, but the 8220 has an option. In Settings, Options, Mobile Network there's a Connection Preference that can be changed to Mobile Network Only or Mobile Network Preferred.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The 8900 hast he same setting. However, I think choosing it breaks WiFi browsing.
    05-24-09 04:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD