Hello everybody, new user here. Been on CB reading for a while now but can't seem to find an answer to this very specific question.

I am on BIS account through verizon, and I am looking for a way to stop ALL notifications for my BB email account. I have it set up so my work emails are forwarded to it, but am wondering if there is a way to stop notifications, so that if I do want to see new messages I have to do a manual refresh. I know this is basically the opposite of what people usually want, but its not actually imperative that I receive my work email on my phone, it is just a nice option to have if I feel like being productive away from my desk

If that doesn't make sense please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-10 09:31 AM
    The simple way is to use Options / Security / Firewall to disable BlackBerry Internet Service while leaving SMS and MMS unblocked.

If you have personal email accounts that you want to keep active, it gets a lot tougher. Log on to your BIS account and disable the email address involved. Restore them when you want to continue service.

A far less intrusive approach is to edit your alert Profiles to mute the notification. You will still receive all your email, but it will be silent.
    07-26-10 10:04 AM
    The simple way is to use Options / Security / Firewall to disable BlackBerry Internet Service while leaving SMS and MMS unblocked.

If you have personal email accounts that you want to keep active, it gets a lot tougher. Log on to your BIS account and disable the email address involved. Restore them when you want to continue service.

A far less intrusive approach is to edit your alert Profiles to mute the notification. You will still receive all your email, but it will be silent.
    Hey Reed, thanks for the reply, I must not have subscribed to the thread so I didn't know somebody had responded.

I guess what I was really asking is, is there some sort of way to make some of your email coming to your BB push (Gmail through BIS), and is there a way to make some of it pull. I was able to do this with the myTouch 3G I had before the 9650, but according to the research I've done it appears that this isn't really possible, at least not yet.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
    07-27-10 11:47 AM
    In short, no, you can't do this.
    07-27-10 11:48 AM
    It does seem like something you should be able to control. Maybe in OS 6...

In the meantime, it seems to me like the least-stressful way to ignore emails is to use an app like BerryBuzz and set it to not blink or remind for those email addresses. BerryBuzz does let you control the LED behavior for each email address individually.
    07-27-10 01:05 PM
    It does seem like something you should be able to control. Maybe in OS 6...

In the meantime, it seems to me like the least-stressful way to ignore emails is to use an app like BerryBuzz and set it to not blink or remind for those email addresses. BerryBuzz does let you control the LED behavior for each email address individually.
    Well, you can just set that up without BerryBuzz as well, just set all notifications for email to off (although it won't stop them from coming in or your unread message count from climbing).
    07-27-10 01:13 PM
    Actually, you could easily set up some filters via the BIS site to stop emails from being delivered, and then remove the filter when you want email service to return. This isn't really what you're trying to do though, since you could not initiate a "pull" from the device.
    07-27-10 01:19 PM
    Actually, you could easily set up some filters via the (link removed) to stop emails from being delivered, and then remove the filter when you want email service to return. This isn't really what you're trying to do though, since you could not initiate a "pull" from the device.
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

When it came down to it, being able to get my work email on my phone when I want to see it is a luxury I am willing to forgo. When I was able to do it on my other phone, I would usually just organize my emails or mark them for follow-up anyway, and very rarely would I actually reply. Luckily I work in a business (gov't) that quits very promptly at 5pm, so I'm not expected to return a lot of emails after hours anyway.

The 9650 is superior in a lot of ways to the myTouch, and if not getting my work email exactly the way I want it is the only thing I give up, that is fine by me. If it does become an issue I'll be sure to try one of the methods referenced here.

ttfmaep, not to send my thread spiraling wildly in a different direction, but can I expect OS 6 on my 9650 when it is released? It looks like they won't be pushing it out to certain phones... thoughts?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by JMBB37; 07-27-10 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typos
    07-27-10 02:25 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

When it came down to it, being able to get my work email on my phone when I want to see it is a luxury I am willing to forgo. When I was able to do it on my other phone, I would usually just organize my emails or mark them for follow-up anyway, and very rarely would I actually reply. Luckily I work in a business (gov't) that quits very promptly at 5pm, so I'm not expected to return a lot of emails after hours anyway.

The 9650 is superior in a lot of ways to the myTouch, and if not getting my work email exactly the way I want it is the only thing I give up, that is fine by me. If it does become an issue I'll be sure to try one of the methods referenced here.

ttfmaep, not to send my thread spiraling wildly in a different direction, but can I expect OS 6 on my 9650 when it is released? It looks like they won't be pushing it out to certain phones... thoughts?

Thanks again!
    I actually use BIS filters for exactly this reason. Basically I have my work email setup so that only a few select individuals' emails get delivered to my device (my boss, for example), all others get filtered so I don't get them. If I have to be away from the office for a few days and need access to all my messages, I just turn the filter off to let everything come in.

As far as OS 6 goes, the 9650 should be able to run it just fine, just a matter of when it gets released for the device...of course no one here really knows for sure.
    07-27-10 03:52 PM
    I actually use BIS filters for exactly this reason. Basically I have my work email setup so that only a few select individuals' emails get delivered to my device (my boss, for example), all others get filtered so I don't get them. If I have to be away from the office for a few days and need access to all my messages, I just turn the filter off to let everything come in.

As far as OS 6 goes, the 9650 should be able to run it just fine, just a matter of when it gets released for the device...of course no one here really knows for sure.
    Now that is an interesting take... I could definitely use some filters. Are they set up online?
    07-28-10 08:53 AM
    Now that is an interesting take... I could definitely use some filters. Are they set up online?
    Yes, just go to the Verizon BIS site. You'll need to have a username and PW set up for your email settings in order to access it. It's been a while since I've done it, but I believe you can actually do that on the device through the email settings somewhere...?

You should also be able to set these up directly on the device. I have a Storm, so it may be a bit different, but basically you highlight the email account you want to setup filters on, and then select "filters"
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 07-28-10 at 09:11 AM.
    07-28-10 09:07 AM
    Yes, just go to the Verizon (URL removed). You'll need to have a username and PW set up for your email settings in order to access it. It's been a while since I've done it, but I believe you can actually do that on the device through the email settings somewhere...?

You should also be able to set these up directly on the device. I have a Storm, so it may be a bit different, but basically you highlight the email account you want to setup filters on, and then select "filters"
    Awesome, thanks Pete. I'll be sure to check that out.
    07-28-10 11:40 AM
    Yes, just go to the Verizon BIS site. You'll need to have a username and PW set up for your email settings in order to access it. It's been a while since I've done it, but I believe you can actually do that on the device through the email settings somewhere...?

Awesome, thanks Pete. I'll be sure to check that out.
    Please note in my above post that I mean to highlight the email account while in the email setup, not from the main screen.
    07-28-10 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD