So as of late I have went to power off my BB and it will tell me the next power on date and time (my alarm) but never seems to shut down completely, even when I go to the little power off icon and say Full Power Off". Can someone help me or tell me why it only shuts off when I do a battery pull?
    08-08-08 10:32 AM
    Go to settings/auto power-on and disable that. Bb has an auto power off and on when it is first turned on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-08 10:34 AM
    So as of late I have went to power off my BB and it will tell me the next power on date and time (my alarm) but never seems to shut down completely, even when I go to the little power off icon and say Full Power Off". Can someone help me or tell me why it only shuts off when I do a battery pull?
    It all depends on what you mean by power down completely. If you want a program to turn the device back "on" at a certain time, then obviously the device has to be running to execute the program. If you pull the battery, then the program can't run to turn it back "on." Devices like BlackBerry's are designed to go into a low-power consumption state that turns off displays and radios and maybe even slows down the processor, without being fully powered off. That feature is what allows them to "instantly" turn "on," as opposed to the lengthy booting process of a PC.

Does that help, or have I missed your point entirely?
    08-08-08 10:39 AM
    Go to settings/auto power-on and disable that. Bb has an auto power off and on when it is first turned on.

They OP wants it to auto-on... since they have an alarm set...

I am not exactly sure what the issue is here... but when you power off the device with the power button, it only makes the Berry enter into a low-power mode. The device never truly powers off! Once you press the power button again, it obviously turns back on. I am confused
    08-08-08 10:40 AM
    Why would u ever wanna do such a thing =o

If ur worried about the noises or something, just change the profile

08-08-08 10:40 AM
    Why would u ever wanna do such a thing =o

If ur worried about the noises or something, just change the profile

I actually have my device power off at 2AM each week night and power back on at 6AM

I always considered not doing this, in case I get an emergency call or something along those lines... but have not been motivated enough to switch yet!
    08-08-08 10:47 AM
    I also use auto on/off. It works great!

Last edited by srplummer; 08-08-08 at 02:44 PM.
    08-08-08 10:59 AM
    It all depends on what you mean by power down completely. If you want a program to turn the device back "on" at a certain time, then obviously the device has to be running to execute the program. If you pull the battery, then the program can't run to turn it back "on." Devices like BlackBerry's are designed to go into a low-power consumption state that turns off displays and radios and maybe even slows down the processor, without being fully powered off. That feature is what allows them to "instantly" turn "on," as opposed to the lengthy booting process of a PC.

Does that help, or have I missed your point entirely?
    Thanks for the info, I always wondered why my BB powered up so fast compared with other phones. What is the difference between turn off and full power off, and how much battery savings would there be with full power off?
    08-08-08 12:13 PM
    Thanks for the info, I always wondered why my BB powered up so fast compared with other phones. What is the difference between turn off and full power off, and how much battery savings would there be with full power off?
    My 8830 power button does not make any distinction between "turn off" and "full power off," so I'm not sure how to answer your question. If you are asking what the power consumption is in the off state, I don't know. I suppose you could fully charge your device, unplug it from the charger, leave it off for a couple of days, then turn it on and see how much the battery had discharged. That would be an interesting experiment to conduct, but I never leave my device unused for that long!
    08-08-08 02:43 PM
    My 8830 power button does not make any distinction between "turn off" and "full power off," so I'm not sure how to answer your question. If you are asking what the power consumption is in the off state, I don't know. I suppose you could fully charge your device, unplug it from the charger, leave it off for a couple of days, then turn it on and see how much the battery had discharged. That would be an interesting experiment to conduct, but I never leave my device unused for that long!
    I always use my power button as well so i never saw this option until it was mentioned above. If you select the Turn Power Off Icon from the home screen, you are presented with 2 options; Turn Off and Full Power Off. I would guess that Turn Off is like using the power button, and Full Power Off somehow equates to a full shut off of power. I don't think there would be much battery savings with Full Power Off since the "turned off" mode is so efficient. I do wonder if the Full Power Off has the same effect as a battery pull or soft reset.
    08-08-08 03:04 PM
    Update to my post above: The Full Power Off option only appears when you have Auto Off enabled. Full Power Off overrides the Auto On and you have to the turn the device on manually. That's what BB support says about it. Doesn't seem to have any othe use.
    08-08-08 03:10 PM
    Update to my post above: The Full Power Off option only appears when you have Auto Off enabled. Full Power Off overrides the Auto On and you have to the turn the device on manually. That's what BB support says about it. Doesn't seem to have any othe use.
    I've never used Auto on/off, so I had no idea what you were talking about til this post. Thanks for clearing that up.
    08-08-08 03:27 PM
    I've never used Auto on/off, so I had no idea what you were talking about til this post. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Jeff, I currenty have a moto razr... When I hit the end key, the phone just shuts off completly.. The next time I want the phone on, I hit the end key and the phone is now on..

Thats what I want to with the curve 8330, just completely turn it off, How do I do that?
    01-27-09 09:59 AM
    Jeff, I currenty have a moto razr... When I hit the end key, the phone just shuts off completly.. The next time I want the phone on, I hit the end key and the phone is now on..

Thats what I want to with the curve 8330, just completely turn it off, How do I do that?
    So like if somebody calls you and the phone is turned off, you dont know that anybody has called you till you turn the phone back on?

claire
    01-27-09 10:14 AM
    So like if somebody calls you and the phone is turned off, you dont know that anybody has called you till you turn the phone back on?

claire
    I was talking right before I go to bed.... Not during the day or early evening. I would think you could totally turn it off.
    01-27-09 10:43 AM

I assume the 8330 has a power switch. The 8830 does. That turns it as "off" as it's possible to get, without removing the battery.
    01-27-09 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD