I have always had unlimited data but I am thinking of going to the 200mb option on T-Mobile. I always have wifi available between school and home but my question is. Is there a way to turn off data when Im not in wifi range. I do not want to use it at all unless I am in wifi range.
    11-20-10 12:04 AM
    Wi-Fi (pronounced /ˈwaɪfaɪ/) is a trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance for certified products based on the IEEE 802.11 standards. This certification warrants interoperability between different wireless devices.

In some countries (and in this article) the term Wi-Fi is often used by the public as a synonym for IEEE 802.11-wireless LAN (WLAN).

Not every IEEE 802.11 compliant device is certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance, which may be because of certification costs that must be paid for each certified device type. The lack of the Wi-Fi logo does not imply that a device is incompatible to certified Wi-Fi-devices.

Wi-Fi is used by most personal computer operating systems, many video game consoles, laptops, smartphones, printers, and other peripherals.

International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT-2000), better known as 3G or 3rd Generation, is a family of standards for mobile telecommunications defined by the International Telecommunication Union, which includes GSM EDGE, UMTS, and CDMA2000 as well as DECT and WiMAX. Services include wide-area wireless voice telephone, video calls, and wireless data, all in a mobile environment. Compared to 2G and 2.5G services, 3G allows simultaneous use of speech and data services and higher data rates (up to 14.4 Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8 Mbit/s on the uplink with HSPA+). Thus, 3G networks enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency.

The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) defined the third generation (3G) of mobile telephony standards – IMT-2000 – to facilitate growth, increase bandwidth, and support more diverse applications. For example, GSM (the current most popular cellular phone standard) could deliver not only voice, but also circuit-switched data at download speeds up to 14.4 kbps. But to support mobile multimedia applications, 3G had to deliver packet-switched data with better spectral efficiency, at far greater speeds.

I would say 3G is better because it's faster.

BTW BB's usually it set to use WIFI as main connection where is available when you are out of the WIFI you are automatically connected to DATA/3G
    Last edited by zoom--zoom; 11-20-10 at 12:37 AM.
    11-20-10 12:34 AM
    I have always had unlimited data but I am thinking of going to the 200mb option on T-Mobile. I always have wifi available between school and home but my question is. Is there a way to turn off data when Im not in wifi range. I do not want to use it at all unless I am in wifi range.
    If you don't do any streaming media/youtube you will be fine, 200 is more then enough for a blackberry
    11-20-10 03:31 AM
    Go to Manage Connections -> Mobile Network, uncheck the selection and leave WiFi on. As far as data usage, as long as you stay away from streaming videos/music you'll have no issues staying under 200mb. I practically have my device melded to my hand during the week, and I never clear 150mb. At 10 days into this billing cycle, I'm at 65mb; hopefully that gives you some point of reference.
    11-20-10 02:34 PM
    If you uncheck the mobile network option it will shut of the radio and you wont be able to receive calls or texts. If you have want to just shut off data then go into Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > and turn Data Services to off.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    11-20-10 03:53 PM
    If you uncheck the mobile network option it will shut of the radio and you wont be able to receive calls or texts. If you have want to just shut off data then go into Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > and turn Data Services to off.
    Oops. thanks for catching that. >.<
    11-20-10 03:54 PM
    thanks for all the replies
    12-09-10 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD