Hey all,

Work just gave me a new phone that I have to use and unfortunately its not a blackberry. Now I still have the data plan and everything. I was wondering if I could still use my bb in the evenings and weekends if I unlocked the phone. I tried just popping my sim card back into my bb but I can't use bbm or get my emails on my old phone. I was wondering if unlocked the phone if I would be able to use all the features or do I specifically have to have a bb plan with BES on AT&T?

Thanks!
    08-13-11 01:38 AM
    Is it a prepaid SIM? Because I know when you use a prepaid SIM in a BB then BBM or any other Blackberry specific features won't work you need to actually get a 2 year contract through your carrier. But that is only if the SIM you are trying to use is a prepaid if its on contract then I believe it should work in your phone unless its from a different carrier then you must get your phone unlocked for it to work. Hope this helps a little. Mike
    08-13-11 02:56 AM
    You will need a BB specific data plan for BBm to work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 06:23 PM
    Hey all,

Work just gave me a new phone that I have to use and unfortunately its not a blackberry. Now I still have the data plan and everything. I was wondering if I could still use my bb in the evenings and weekends if I unlocked the phone. I tried just popping my sim card back into my bb but I can't use bbm or get my emails on my old phone. I was wondering if unlocked the phone if I would be able to use all the features or do I specifically have to have a bb plan with BES on AT&T?

Thanks!
    You need a BB data plan or a smartphone plan with BIS activated, no need for BES.
    08-14-11 12:51 AM
    In addition to the already noted specific BlackBerry data plan you will need (not BES ask for BIS) you will also need your work BES admin to release the device so you can use it. Sounds like it still has IT Policy on it.
    08-14-11 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD