Hello, newbie here

I have been looking at possibly getting the 9800 when it comes to Canada but have a few questions first.

I generally despise texting but I wanted some clarification on how the plans work.

As I understand it, "Text messages" when advertised by the carrier are SMS messages sent between cell-phones, correct?

If I have a plan that allows 500 texts per month, does that only covers phone-phone texts or also messages sent between a phone and someone using MSN Messenger on their home computer? In other words, are messages to an MSN Messenger user considered "text messages" or do they fall under data usage?

Also, emails. My ISP at home is Shaw. Am I correct in assuming that I can simply set up my BB to send and receive messages through my @shaw.ca account or do I need a RIM account to send messages through? And are emails metered differently from data and text messages?

Looking through Bell plans, I noticed that one of the features was "Unlimited WiFi at Starbucks". I thought WiFi was separate from carrier plans and acted more like a computer than a phone, or have the carriers somehow found a way to cripple that feature too? Can I use my BB's WiFi anywhere without any time and data limitations?

Thanks for the help!
    06-07-10 08:34 PM
    For BlackBerry, texting plans only cover SMS. MMS uses data.

In order to use MMS, get your emails pushed to your device, to use BlackBerry Messenger or any of the native IM apps (MSN, Yahoo Messenger, AIM), you need a BlackBerry data plan (BIS). You also need BIS if you want to use the native Facebook or Twitter apps.

BlackBerry App World will not work if you do not have a BlackBerry data plan.
    06-07-10 08:37 PM
    Hello, newbie here

I have been looking at possibly getting the 9800 when it comes to Canada but have a few questions first.

I generally despise texting but I wanted some clarification on how the plans work.

As I understand it, "Text messages" when advertised by the carrier are SMS messages sent between cell-phones, correct?
    Yes, this is corect.

If I have a plan that allows 500 texts per month, does that only covers phone-phone texts or also messages sent between a phone and someone using MSN Messenger on their home computer? In other words, are messages to an MSN Messenger user considered "text messages" or do they fall under data usage?
    The plan only covers the SMS messages that you send between phones. All messages sent using MSN Messenger, AIM, Y! Messenger, etc are all covered underneath your data plan, they don not effect your SMS message alotment.

Also, emails. My ISP at home is Shaw. Am I correct in assuming that I can simply set up my BB to send and receive messages through my @shaw.ca account or do I need a RIM account to send messages through? And are emails metered differently from data and text messages?
    When you activate a BB thru your carrier, you automatically sign up for the BIS plan (BlackBerry Internet Service). Within this plan, you can setup up to 10 e-mails to deliver to your device. So, yes, you can setup your @shaw.ca account to deliver thru your BB account. There is no additional cost for this, it comes with your data plan. If you have a Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, or even a work e-mail accessable thru a Outlook Web Access account, you can set them up as well, all handled seperately, and delivered in real time to your device. It's a really slick setup.

Looking through Bell plans, I noticed that one of the features was "Unlimited WiFi at Starbucks". I thought WiFi was separate from carrier plans and acted more like a computer than a phone, or have the carriers somehow found a way to cripple that feature too? Can I use my BB's WiFi anywhere without any time and data limitations?
    WiFi is always free on a device that is WiFi enabled, unless the WiFi hotspot you are linking to requires some sort of payment to use. For instance, if you have a wireless router setup with your personal internet service at your house, you can link your BB to your WiFi, and recieve ultra fast data speeds at no additional cost to you. This is also helpful if you have a capped data plan, or if you don't have a strong signal somewhere, when you hook up via WiFi, you can still transmit data, even though you may not be hooked up to your carrier's network.

Thanks for the help!
    See above for my answers
    06-07-10 08:47 PM
    Thanks for the great replies guys!

So the "Unlimited WiFi at Starbucks" thing is simply a sales gimmick? It should really read "Unlimited WiFi anywhere". I know cell carriers have silly ways of crippling device features.
    06-07-10 09:38 PM
    Anywhere you can get a signal to an unsecured WiFi network, you will get free data access. There is very little doubt in my mind that this is a sales gimmick. AT&T advertises that you'll have access to 30,000 WiFi hotspots nationwide, but chances are that most of these hotspots are already free to anyone with a WiFi enabled device... Seems kinda bogus to me. Free WiFi is free WiFi, if it wasn't free, they couldn't advertise it as such. If Starbucks has free WiFi, then you can connect your laptop, iPad, PSP, iPhone, Android, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, it doesn't matter, any WiFi device can connect to a free, unsecured WiFi network.

Kinda makes you think huh??!!
    06-07-10 09:51 PM
    Anywhere you can get a signal to an unsecured WiFi network, you will get free data access. There is very little doubt in my mind that this is a sales gimmick. AT&T advertises that you'll have access to 30,000 WiFi hotspots nationwide, but chances are that most of these hotspots are already free to anyone with a WiFi enabled device... Seems kinda bogus to me. Free WiFi is free WiFi, if it wasn't free, they couldn't advertise it as such. If Starbucks has free WiFi, then you can connect your laptop, iPad, PSP, iPhone, Android, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, it doesn't matter, any WiFi device can connect to a free, unsecured WiFi network.

Kinda makes you think huh??!!
    In the US, Starbucks only offers free Wi-Fi to AT&T (and maybe T-Mobile) customers. Everyone else needs to pay to use it.

Many independent coffee houses offer free Wi-Fi to anyone. I was at one on Saturday night. I used my laptop, not my BlackBerry, but it was free.

McDonald's offers free Wi-Fi to anyone in the US.

Wireless Internet | Starbucks Coffee Company
    06-07-10 11:27 PM
    What??? Mcdonalds has wifi?
    We don't have that here, although I wouldn't wanna sit in a rotten ronnies just to get free internet lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 11:34 PM
    We don't have that here, although I wouldn't wanna sit in a rotten ronnies just to get free internet lol

Free Wi-Fi :: McDonalds.com
    06-07-10 11:44 PM
    In the US, Starbucks only offers free Wi-Fi to AT&T (and maybe T-Mobile) customers. Everyone else needs to pay to use it.

Many independent coffee houses offer free Wi-Fi to anyone. I was at one on Saturday night. I used my laptop, not my BlackBerry, but it was free.

McDonald's offers free Wi-Fi to anyone in the US.

Wireless Internet | Starbucks Coffee Company
    Hmm, Thanks for the information, I never knew that! I assumed that Starbucks WiFi was free... maybe that's because I've never been inside an actual Starbucks.
    Good to know!
    06-08-10 07:54 AM

Depends on the location and how they keep that particular restaurant. Our downtown McDs is nice enough that you'd feel comfortable to sit for a while doing some browsing/work catch-up. Plus a lot of people with BBs, iPhones and laptops will stop by that location.

Starbucks, I wonder about. My son ties into their wifi with his Nintendo DSi when my wife goes through the drive-thru, and I doubt he set up an account the way the website describes.
    06-08-10 08:29 AM
    If you have an AT&T account with their DSL you get free Wi-Fi just using your DSL user and pass by the way.
    06-08-10 11:33 AM
    I think everyone else misunderstood you here. From how you worded it, to me it sounds like you mean if someone was to send you a message from let's say, Windows Live Messenger on a pc, to your mobile number. In this case, yes, what you receive, and then reply to with this person (on your end), are considered SMS.
    06-08-10 11:48 AM
    Apparently, T-Mobile customers can no longer get free Wi-Fi at Starbucks. T-Mobile Loses Starbucks; AT&T Becomes Wi-Fi Hotspot Giant - Wi-Fi Networking News
    06-08-10 11:50 AM
    If you have an AT&T account with their DSL you get free Wi-Fi just using your DSL user and pass by the way.
    Also good to know... looks like I'd have WiFi access thru AT&T then!
    06-08-10 11:53 AM
    Also good to know... looks like I'd have WiFi access thru AT&T then!
    AT&T Wi-Fi Locations
    06-08-10 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD