Just started getting SMS spam on my Verizon 9930. I've read through the posts regarding this problem. Doesn't seem like there's alot that can be done about it. Does reject anonymous messages help? What exactly does this reject? Can't seem to find an answer.

thx
    lenn
    03-05-12 12:04 PM
    Which carrier do you use? You can call them and ask for their input. Or, you can send a direct message/tweet to @blackberryhelp and ask them about it. I'm sure that kind of spam is extremely frustrating.
    03-05-12 12:09 PM
    I had call blocker lite which I think had this feature. If not there are plenty of sms blocker apps in bb app world.
    03-05-12 12:12 PM
    If you don't mind blocking all SMS's except those from address book then BlackBerry has a solution for you. Only your address book people can msg you. The rest will be blocked.
    03-05-12 12:30 PM
    Login to your VZW account from a browser, and you can block numbers. It's been a while since I've logged in to mine, but I recall the feature was there. I think it limits you to 10 numbers, but I could be mistaken.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek and len5 like this.
    03-05-12 12:32 PM
    OP,
    Goto settings> security>firewall>enable firewall>select Text Messages> scroll down to "exceptions"> select contacts.

This will block all SMS'S except those from your contact lists.

Solved my spam problem.
    mssca and len5 like this.
    03-05-12 12:40 PM
    In France, we've got an opt-out obligation for SMS. You just have to reply "STOP" and the sender stops. I don't know if this is available for U.S.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-05-12 01:23 PM
    Login to your VZW account from a browser, and you can block numbers. It's been a while since I've logged in to mine, but I recall the feature was there. I think it limits you to 10 numbers, but I could be mistaken.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    It's up to 15 now. https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com...am_control.jsp
    03-05-12 01:42 PM
    In France, we've got an opt-out obligation for SMS. You just have to reply "STOP" and the sender stops. I don't know if this is available for U.S.
    In India the govt curtailed the SMS limit to 100 texts per day. That stopped the spam SMS immediately. Some individuals who were heavy texters cried but then they switched to BBM and so did their friends. All in all it worked out well.
    03-05-12 01:43 PM
    03-05-12 01:49 PM
    Verizon provides the user with 5 free number blocks. Problem is that the SMS spammers never use the same # twice.

lenn
    03-05-12 02:18 PM
    I'm only seeing 5 phone number blocks. Are u including email blocks?
    03-05-12 02:20 PM
    Selecting "Reject Anonymous Texts" should allow only Contacts texts to come through. If they are not in your contacts, they should not come through. Messages/Options/Text Messaging/Reject Anonymous Text.
    03-05-12 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD