Hello All,

I know this topic has been posted probably a billion times, but in my searches I couldn't really find my right solution.

I just bought a Blackberry Pearl 8100 off E-Bay. When I found out that there was this nifty thing called Blackberry Messenger, I tried finding it on my phone, but it just wasn't there.

I went online and tried downloading old versions of the Desktop Software (oldest being 4.0) and nothing seems to work. I've tried making it go back to an old OS so I can just download the messenger straight from the website, but that doesn't work either. When I use desktop software 4.0 and 4.1, my phone becomes undetectable.

All in all, it's frustrating, so if someone could help me I'd be eternally grateful!

If it helps, my BB's current version is v4.2.1.107.
    06-24-08 05:39 PM
    Welcome to crackberry.com

Well... Have you tried doing a clean wipe of your device? Also before doing so, load up Desktop Manager (DM) and ensure your BB is connected. Then go to "Application Loader" Ensure that Blackberry Messenger is checked off.

06-24-08 05:49 PM
    Welcome to crackberry.com

Well... Have you tried doing a clean wipe of your device? Also before doing so, load up Desktop Manager (DM) and ensure your BB is connected. Then go to "Application Loader" Ensure that Blackberry Messenger is checked off.

This is where I'm confused. Which version of Desktop Manager should I use---the most recent? Because the only application that shows up is Instant Messaging, and nothing else is available to check/uncheck.

My BB will connect with V 4.2 and later, but 4.1 and 4.0 do not work.

It's just odd because my phone was the newest version coming out of the box (like I said, ebay) and nothing's on it. So I'm not sure, and none of my BB friend owners know either!
    06-24-08 09:05 PM
    more apps than that should come up..but I would d/l DM 4.3 IMO
    06-24-08 09:07 PM
    more apps than that should come up..but I would d/l DM 4.3 IMO
    Thanks! I'm onto that. I'll report back.
    06-24-08 09:14 PM
    So update:

-I downloaded v4.3 as JasonHDD suggested, and it did manage to connect but messenger still doesn't show up on my application list. I also cleared my system, and that didn't work as well..

Does the CD that is supposed to come with the box contain messenger? My friend has the CD but doesn't know what is in it.

I'm not sure what other possibilities there are? Thank you guys though, since blackberry doesn't seem to really have customer service of their own.
    06-24-08 09:49 PM
    Do you have a data plan?

Assuming you do, have you tried downloading messager from your phone going to Blackberry.com/messenger from your Blackberry browser?
    06-25-08 09:03 PM
    Do you have a data plan?

Assuming you do, have you tried downloading messager from your phone going to Blackberry.com/messenger from your Blackberry browser?
    I actually do not, but I could borrow a friend's sim card, as I know she has data plan.

but does it matter if your phone is a new version? cause normally the website says if it's a newer version you get it from desktop manager.
    06-26-08 10:42 AM
    You have to have the same OS that is on the device loaded on your pc also.
    You should use the latest verison of the DM, and you will have to install the BBM app using the DM Applications loader.
    And you will need a data plan to use it.

BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    06-26-08 03:11 PM
    You will have to have a data plan for Blackberry Messenger to work as it runs off their servers.

Get a data plan and then we are all willing to help.
    06-26-08 03:19 PM
    You will have to have a data plan for Blackberry Messenger to work as it runs off their servers.

Get a data plan and then we are all willing to help.
    ^^^ What he said. If you don't have a data plan there is no real use for you to have BlackBerry messenger, it uses data, not SMS.
    06-26-08 03:42 PM
    Oh, wow, I didn't know that. I'll see if I really should add it then..
    Thanks for everything! I could be back.
    06-27-08 12:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD