I am trying to decide between the 9780 and 9800. I'm not really interested in the newer 9810 and 9900 because I could get the 9870 or 9800 for free rather than paying $100 for the 9810 or 9900 and i do not really consider the updates important enough to pay $100 extra. I am big on texting, facebook, twitter and BBM. The 9800 appeals to me especially because the touch screen seems useful for navigating menus, yet there is still a physical keyboard for typing messages. I also enjoy the fact that the screen is larger because I like to see more of the conversation history when I am texting somebody. That being said, is there anything about the 9780 that sets it far ahead and makes it the obvious choice? Or anything about the 9800 that makes it an annoyance to use? Thanks!
    08-30-11 04:46 PM
    9780 has a better keyboard, better battery life, and battery build quality

With the 9800 you get a smaller batter even though the screen is bigger. Also, the sliding keyboard is too flat and cramped for any serious typing. You will be lucky to get a perfectly working 9800 with a stable trackpad, and a slider that isn't wobbly.

Go for the 9780, it's the best for your situation
    08-30-11 05:27 PM
    I disagree about the keyboard and I own a bold 9650. The keyboard on the 9800 is great and I have never understood why people whine like babies about it.

Also battery life is pretty good on the 9800 as well.

The 9810 is only 49.99 on att but I assume you live in another country.
    08-30-11 05:34 PM
    I disagree about the keyboard and I own a bold 9650. The keyboard on the 9800 is great and I have never understood why people whine like babies about it.

Also battery life is pretty good on the 9800 as well.

The 9810 is only 49.99 on att but I assume you live in another country.
    I do live in another country and unfortunately the 9810 would cost me roughly $160, while the 9800 and 9780 are both free (with a contract).
    08-30-11 09:39 PM
    If you'd compare Bold 9000/9900 keyboard to the 9800 one I'd agree with Curved Berry, but the 9780 and 9800 are pretty even imho.
    That said the touchscreen on the 9800 is not on par with Android/iOS flagship devices, both in responsiveness and resolution.
    You said you like to keep track of the chat, Torch definitely got a plus there. I own a 9780 myself and find myself scrolling up and down often, especially in business related situations (looking up eg. exact wording).
    While waiting for my new warranty exchanged Curve 3G I had a 9800 as a temporary device, the battery was used a lot (they had it given out to customers almost all the time from day 1) already, I was hardly getting 24h on the 9800 where my Curve lasted 50-60h.
    Those are 2 issues that worry me. If the touch screen is not responsive and is of low resolution, what good is it? And battery life is a really factor to me. I hate charging my phone often, I usually just plug it in every night as I go to bed. I have also heard that the 9800 can be glitchy and even freeze up pretty often, is that true?
    08-30-11 09:41 PM
    9780. That phone is way more efficient with the keyboard always available. Sliding the keyboard in and out for bursts of messaging gets old. It's cumbersome and heavy. Also, navigating menus is actually very fast if you are using the keyboard along with the trackpad. Again, having the keyboard always available makes a huge difference. On the Blackberry the keyboard also serves many shorcuts aside from typing.

The battery life on the 9780 is great, but only okay on the 9800. Also the 9800 has a larger screen, but the same resolution as the 9780. It's mostly just a different aspect ratio. Lines can be longer on the 9780 even if you see less lines per screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ca101d likes this.
    08-31-11 03:21 AM
    Id choose even a Curve 8520 over the Torch with the sliding keyboard any time of the day.

IF you message a lot, you will notice that you will have the keyboard slid down most of the time which makes the phone feel enormous.
    08-31-11 03:38 AM
    True, I can see constantly sliding the keyboard in and out becoming tedious very fast.
    08-31-11 06:47 AM
    I've had both device and I far preferred the 9780. I do believe it had better battery life. I hated the keyboard of the Torch. My slider was wobbly and had to have it fixed. I didn't like the dual keyboard and having to slide back and forth. If these are important factors for you, go with the Bold.
    08-31-11 07:39 AM
    I do live in another country and unfortunately the 9810 would cost me roughly $160, while the 9800 and 9780 are both free (with a contract).

the best thing I can say to you is to try them out and play with both to see which one you like better.

Like I said, my girl has the torch and I have a bold. The keyboard on the torch isn't bad. Really, it feels the same to me.

The battery life on her phone is pretty awesome because she isn't a tech geek so she has like 14 programs running in the background that she never closes and gets through a day or two with heavy texting, bbming and facebooking.

Having said that, I love my bold to death and the keyboard is equally amazing. I however have never really been able to get through a whole day on a battery and that is with moderate texting, bbming, facebook and email. I don't know if it's because I have a faulty battery or what. I do go through times of great battery life but other times I get so so battery life with it.
    08-31-11 10:25 AM
    Thank you all for your input! I have come to the conclusion that it is worth the extra $100 and I'm going to go for the Bold 9900. It seems to be the best of both worlds, and nothing can top that keyboard.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    08-31-11 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD