This isn't for me, as I own an 8320.
    My girlfriend's had her crimson 8310 for a little over a year now and this morning, her dog chewed it up . I havn't seen the damage, but apparently, it's pretty bad. I was able to call her and have a conversation with her, but there's no display or anything. Again, I don't know the extent of the damage, but if the internals are still good, I just may be able to order parts from cnn.cn and fix it right up for her.
    That's option A.

Option B would be to get her a used blackberry on craigslist or a local listing.... so I can actually inspect the phone itself before buying. My question is, when buying a used curve or I guess blackberry in general, what are things I should specifically look at?
    Obviously the exterior, scratches, etc. How do I check for water damage? Anything software related I need to inspect?
    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by ranmag08; 02-21-09 at 01:45 AM.
    02-21-09 01:13 AM
    Check the water damage by looking at the lil sticker in the back of the battery. If the sticker is white then it is good, if the sticker is pink I believe, it means it has had water damage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 03:24 AM
    You'll wanna make sure the esn is clear, or rather the phone is not stolen. Make sure they call the carrier to release the pin to you otherwise you won't be able to do a lot with it...

02-21-09 08:10 AM
    After checking for liquid damage and obvious signs of abuse. Put her SIM card in and make a call, browse internet, etc.
    02-21-09 08:20 AM
    You'll wanna make sure the esn is clear, or rather the phone is not stolen. Make sure they call the carrier to release the pin to you otherwise you won't be able to do a lot with it...

Sorry for the noob question.. wow do I got about checking an ESN?
    02-21-09 01:46 PM
    call the phone's carrier with the pin and/or esn of the phone. they will be able to let you know if it was blocked (ie if the phone was lost/stolen, the original owner can call and have the pin blocked so no one can use it). The original owner should be able to have it released to you if they call the carrier and give the customer service rep their information. once its released, your girlfriend will be able to use the pin for herself.

ESN can be found in options> status.

and of course like Outatime97 said, be sure to take the phone for a spin, make sure the browser works, can make outgoing calls, receive calls, etc etc.

good luck!
    02-21-09 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD