Hey guys.

Just a few quickie things, i'm thinking about getting a blackberry pearl, and i need you guys to persuade me...!

Right so i am a very heavy text message user - mainly to my boyfriend, hundreds a day.. so we thought, why not get blackberries, talk via email instead and save all those ridiculous bills not only in the UK but also when we go abroad.

However, i'm completely stuck where to go now.

Should i cancel my phone contract with vodafone and get say a blackberry pearl on O2/Orange with Minutes, Texts and Email, or do most people have both a phone and a blackberry?

Also, i was looking at orange, and they give me 6MB of data for 6.70 a month. How much is that, how many emails say? If i was emailing him alot every day, then would i be likely to go over this ? I have no idea sort of thing.

Secondly, i really want the WHITE blackberry pearl. Does anyone know where i can get it apart from the carphone warehouse, they really are not offering me any good deals like the Orange store are and they only sell it in black

Would be great to hear from you, i'm dying to become a crackberry user i just need you guys to persuade me!!

Also, my partner is going to South Africa at Xmas, i am going to the caribbean, then i will be back in England whilst he is still out there. What are the charges for emails between different countries? Will we be paying huge roaming charges? (No calls, just emails)?

Look forward to hearing from you asap

Louise
    11-30-07 05:31 AM
    1) I'd have to say most people have a BB as a Phone/Data option together, not have a phone...then also have a BB.

2) From your indication or what your making it sound like, maybe 6MB would not be enough for you, I really don't know, this is something you would really have to evaluate your self...aside from that rather then sending emails you could use PIN messages...which use data as well.

3)Many Online options for purchasing BB devices, you can check ebay or even the marketplace here at crackberry, just be careful with online purchases

4) As for Roaming charges and extra fee's and such, this is something you will need to address with your carrier to inquire as to what type of charges you would be incurring..or even if they offer any int'l data for BB (most do @ a premium cost of course)

I understand their were not alot of difinitve answers there, but really no one can suggest on data usage and be correct that all depends on you, purchasing a device, once again up to you as to where you decide to look, Roaming charges and such, those are all relative to your carriers offers, which may vary upon location of where you are going, best to inquire with them.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-30-07 at 05:44 AM.
    11-30-07 05:41 AM
    Ok thats great, but the thing is, i understand that with GPRS, you have to pay to connect, but surely with a blackberry.. you pay in another country to connect, and then surely you stay connected until you go home? where you re connect again. do you see what i mean? Not sure if i'm getting this entirely correct, but surely once i've connected, i wont need to keep paying roaming charges? hmm

I'll have a look now for the white blackberry pearl, do you think it would be more expensive as it has just come out?

Thank you!!
    11-30-07 05:45 AM
    You will be paying by the KB of data you are using, if you use more KB's of data, you will be paying for that...Roaming data costs more then just regular data, also you have to check to make sure where you are going even supports GSM services and what carriers you will be roaming on...and once you are "connected" you are still roaming, so every min, every txt, every KB of data..will be charged at whatever your roaming rate is for each individual function....your still roaming.

And I'm not sure what White Pearl you are referring to as new but the 8100 version of the pearl has been out for a loooong time, if your referring to the 8120 that may be available, yes, plan on paying alot for the device, and IF you are referring to the 8130 that is a CDMA device and I believe you stated you had a GSM carrier, so the 8130 version will NOT work on your carrier.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-30-07 at 05:56 AM.
    11-30-07 05:54 AM
    I think it will be the 8120. Ok, so unfortunately its going to be pretty expensive to roam then huh? Meaning i thought it would be a cheap option for us staying in contact whilst both abroad, but perhaps not so much now? Damn.
    11-30-07 06:06 AM
    Roaming data is probably the most expensive way you could go...theirs nothing inexpensive about data charges.
    11-30-07 06:08 AM
    Does anyone have any approx ideas about the charges of these data charges? Do we think this means that if i will be abroad for 5 months then maybe a blackberry isn't the best option?
    11-30-07 06:34 AM
    Your gonna have to call your carrier, or look on their website to review their roaming data rates...this is not stuff you want to be guessing at, trust me I work for a wireless carrier I've see bills in the hundreds of thousands of dollars because people had misunderstandings of their rate plans and how they worked.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-30-07 at 07:09 AM.
    11-30-07 07:02 AM
    It's all good, 1 MB will cost me �8 in South Africa. Thus allowing me 100-150 emails for �8, where as 100 texts at 50p each from South Africa would cost me �50.00. Thanks for all your help, hope to get it next week!
    11-30-07 08:12 AM
    make the switch. Just do it!
    11-30-07 08:34 AM
    Hey Blaize-
    Good job bro!! I still want Family Guy/Patriot Games on the website!! I NEED IT BRO!!! I NEED IT!!!!
    02-20-08 08:53 AM
    O2 gives you unlimited email/200mb of data for �10 this is much better than Orange's paltry 6mb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-08 09:10 AM
    you will love the pearl. and would pin messages or bb messenger be cheaper/less data use than emails for them? just a thought to say some $$$ while roaming.
    02-20-08 09:15 AM
    Go to the Carphone Warehouse. There you can get:
    - �34 of credit
    - Unlimited email and data (data charges come out of your �34 when abroad)
    - and a free Pearl (white if you say they have them)
    from T-Mobile with Flext 20+Web n Walk.

Also, you can use BlackBerry messenger to contact each other. It's like MSN but BB-only. Or get JiveTalk and have MSN on your Berry. JiveTalk will be costly abroad but I THINK BB messenger will be free...

I'll phone T-Mo in a sec to see if it is free.

ADLEN
    02-20-08 10:06 AM
    Wow, it takes a while to get this sorted!

BB Messenger probably won't be free abroad but if you but that plan directly from T-Mobile Telesales it will cost you something like �27.50 a month with a free Pearl, and if you give them a few details from T-Mo's Recommend-a-friend initiative you can get �20 off your second month. I'll PM you with those details.
    02-20-08 10:52 AM
    wow this is from november i think she got it or didnt get it in 4 months id hope she made up her mind lol
    02-20-08 01:04 PM
    wow this is from november i think she got it or didnt get it in 4 months id hope she made up her mind lol
    Hahaha! lol, didn't see THAT, it had new posts when I was here last!
    02-27-08 03:35 PM
    i think she opted out.
    02-27-08 03:36 PM
    i think she opted out.
    Like Cate wants to do.
    02-27-08 04:00 PM
    i would just go for the pearl and you will see what happens, you will get so hooked that you wouldn't want to go back to any other phones!
    02-27-08 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD