I've seen some threads on this point, but they are all pretty old and none of them seem to have a real conclusion.

My WiFi connection is sketchy, and it's killing me. The icon takes a bit to change from gray to white, and it likes to revert to gray frequently. This happens quite a bit at home (U-verse 2WIRE router, set to defaults) but it also happens (more than occasionally, but not all the time) when trying to connect to other networks (public, friends' homes, etc.).

Any tips/pointers? It's pretty irritating.

Thanks!
    01-05-11 06:36 PM
    I've seen some threads on this point, but they are all pretty old and none of them seem to have a real conclusion.

My WiFi connection is sketchy, and it's killing me. The icon takes a bit to change from gray to white, and it likes to revert to gray frequently. This happens quite a bit at home (U-verse 2WIRE router, set to defaults) but it also happens (more than occasionally, but not all the time) when trying to connect to other networks (public, friends' homes, etc.).

Thanks!
    I dont know how to assist you because my wifi is rock solid but maybe you can go into the wifi setting and make sure your ssid is entered correctly and you have it set so your device has it saved as a "saved wifi network" fortunately these dont have complicated wifi settings. If you out of range the wifi signal will go from white to grey. Mine also takes a while to go from grey to white when i first turn it on also. Happens on all of them so it is normal for that. Hope things work out.
    01-05-11 06:44 PM
    Sadly, it isn't any of the easy things like that (so far as I can tell).
    01-05-11 06:53 PM
    Sadly, it isn't any of the easy things like that (so far as I can tell).
    If you havent had the device for that long I recommend backing it up on desktop manager so your new device will get all the same info and sertings back the way you had it and return/exchange it for another device if still within the 30 days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-11 06:59 PM
    5mo owner. Trying to avoid talking to one of the "highly trained technicians" at the Sprint shop.
    01-05-11 07:01 PM
    5mo owner. Trying to avoid talking to one of the "highly trained technicians" at the Sprint shop.
    Yes I avoid the technicians at all costs and just do an insurance claim. Not always the best option but sometimes alleviates alot of headaches. Nothing like an almost new device in hand .

01-05-11 07:14 PM
    U-verse routers. Meh. Only thing my device has a problem connecting to. And if it does, it gets dropped not long after. Belkin has an initial connection problem, once the router is rebooted connection is solid.

01-05-11 08:47 PM
    U-verse routers. Meh. Only thing my device has a problem connecting to. And if it does, it gets dropped not long after. Belkin has an initial connection problem, once the router is rebooted connection is solid.

DLink all the way for years. I have ps3,xbox 360, 2 laptops, droid incredible, bb bold 9650. Still strong.

01-05-11 08:54 PM
    +1 for D-Link router, I have ps3, 2 DTV dvrs, laptop, 2 pcs, printer, 2 BBs all connect w/o issues.

01-05-11 10:10 PM
    Used to be a linksys fan, then I tried netgear - only thing that had a problem connecting to a netgear router that I've seen was my wife's vista laptop; no problem once it had win7 on it
    Never tried a D-link router. Used to have D-link NIC's, no issue with those

01-05-11 10:19 PM
    I'm having the same issues with my 9650. It used to work great and just withing the last week or so it started giving me the same symptoms. I've given up and just turned wifi off which I hate to do. I've ruled out an issue with my router/network since all other devices test out and work great. I've tried all the troubleshooting things I can think of. I really don't want to return my BB and get a used replacement.
    01-06-11 08:10 AM

Thanks!
    So I take it you are on OS5?
    Which OS? Some of the OSes are known for signal fluctuation.
    Have you tried the 983?
    They say that has a pretty steady signal.
    01-06-11 08:14 AM
    [QUOTE=gjcavana;5927257]I'm having the same issues with my 9650. It used to work great and just withing the last week or so it started giving me the same symptoms. I've given up and just turned wifi off which I hate to do. I've ruled out an issue with my router/network since all other devices test out and work great. I've tried all the troubleshooting things I can think of. I really don't want to return my BB and get a used replacement.[/QUOTE]

I hate to tell you this, but the one you are using that doesn't allow you to reach wi-fi is also used!

I used to think that but my refurb is more solidly built than the Bold I bought the night they became available on VZW. Quality control has gotten much better!
    01-06-11 08:16 AM
    I really don't want to return my BB and get a used replacement.
    My Bold is a FRU (Field Replacement Unit) and works perfect. Don't let that discourage you from getting a Bold that works properly.

01-06-11 09:26 AM
    So I take it you are on OS5?
    Which OS? Some of the OSes are known for signal fluctuation.
    Have you tried the 983?
    They say that has a pretty steady signal.
    Yes, I was on 3 versions of OS5. I just installed the OS6 update (proper, from Sprint), so I'll play w/ it for a few days. It's funny, I have no problem w/ a refurb replacement...I just don't want to deal w/ the store techs (there is only one Sprint store in Knoxville, so it is always swamped...I also worked in wireless for 5 yrs and I somehow still feel more knowledgeable than most people in the stores these days).
    01-06-11 05:54 PM
    Yesterday I was playing around with the settings again and there is an option in the Wi-Fi connection called SSID is broadcast" which was unchecked by default. I checked this box since my router does broadcast the SSID and Wi-Fi now works great on my 9650. Not once last night after I changed this did it loose wi-fi connection or show extreme slow speeds. BTW I am running 5.810
    01-07-11 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD