I've download OTA SpeedOmeter from the download Travel section of CB and it just stays on load-up screen. The menu just has 2 options switch app <hang-up> and close.

I've deleted it a couple of times from the application list (just like deleting the sample video) and reinstalled it with no success.

Has anybody tried this app? I have the Curve 8310. Why is it not working? GPS is working because it shows my current location lat&long and number of satelites.
    =8'(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-08 11:11 AM
    Their website is down for an upgrade. The software has to communicate with their website to "check for updates" before it will let you use it.

I emailed the author and let him know my feelings about this. I told him that I run into this when I go into areas without data service.

I haven't heard back from them yet.

I use it on my 8310. Works great when it is working.

I've suggested to the author to also allow logging of speed zones, so that his software could let me know when I am going too fast or too slow when the speed limit changes. Of course, I have to setup the speed limit areas as I come to them, but it would be great for those roads that I travel on every day, and just get too relaxed and forget to pay attention to the speed limit changes.
    07-21-08 11:31 AM
    Thanks.

I wonder how long the site will be down?

Yes it would be nice if it would alert you when your going to fast?

=8')

07-21-08 11:36 AM
    I found another post on this. It looks like the site has been down since May.

If the site is permanently down they should remove the app from the download section.

Or could it be that they want you to buy the app PTracker. Its similar. It let you log trips to your SD card.

Disappointed and dissatisfied

07-21-08 01:19 PM
    I've used it since May. Maybe it doesn't ALWAYS check for a connection back to their website, and mine was just finally due to check in.

Who knows...We will wait and see if they reply to my email. I'll give them a few days.
    07-21-08 02:06 PM
    I reinstalled it and I'm going to leave it running to see if the site goes back up.
    =8')

07-21-08 09:06 PM
    Kickback message I got from my email to them:

Can not deliver the message you sent. Will not retry.

Sender: BHandy@<deleted>.com
    Recipient: [email protected] Failure Reason: 550 Unrouteable address

Real nice. I'm just hoping that this means that their mail server is also being upgraded, like their web server is. I'll try sending something again in a few days.

Not real business like though....
    07-22-08 02:23 PM
    Oh...But I do notice that their main website front page has now changed, so someone is doing SOMETHING there. Just wish they wouldn't leave people hanging like this though.

adapta-solutions.com
    07-22-08 02:26 PM
    Definately not business like.
    Hopefully they can figure this out. Soon.
    =8'(

07-22-08 02:33 PM
    I emailed the company's main office (adapta.si), and got the following response:

Dear Mr.Handy,
    We had big problems with our hosting provider and we decided to move. Please, be patient in few day the site will be online again.

Best Regards
    Jure Lampe

So...We wait and see....
    07-22-08 03:03 PM
    Thanks. So now we wait and see.
    Hopefully it'll be soon. I wonder if the software will look for the old address or the new site.

07-22-08 03:07 PM
    Ok if you have SpeedOmeter. Turn it on the site is up. Now I just have to wait till the end of the day to try it out.
    =8')

07-23-08 04:23 PM
    OK it works again,
    07-23-08 04:57 PM
    Used it on the way home. It works awsome. My speedometer in my car is about 7mph off. My speedo says I'm going 70 but its more like 62mph. I knew it was off.

I give SpeedOmeter two thumbs up.
    =8')

07-23-08 07:41 PM
    Its down again! =8'(
    Hopefuly they get it figured out.
    Why does it have to check with their site before running?
    Its vary annoying
    =8'(

07-24-08 08:47 AM
    Still down and when I try to goto the main website I get this.

The requested URL could not be retrievedWhile trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.adapta-solutions.com/wap/spdad.php?The following error was encountered: Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.adapta-solutions.com The dnsserver returned: Name Error: The domain name does not exist. This means that:
    The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
    Check if the address is correct.
    Your cache administrator is webmaster. Generated Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:54:58 GMT by Blackberry.Internet.Browsing.Service (squid/2.5.STABLE12)

Bummer. I like the app. Is there any other apps?

=8?)
    07-26-08 04:11 PM
    Has anyone heard anything yet. I noticed that it still is not working. I attempted to e-mail them with no response yet and it has been 3 days.
    I really enjoyed the program having it on 3 phones.
    07-28-08 08:44 PM
    Does anyone know of any other apps that will measure your speed? without data usage either? I noticed that blackberry maps will give your speed even if you have no data coverage.
    07-30-08 11:30 AM
    I've seen a few negative posts about BB maps. I have found several apps here in the CB stores but since they are not free I am not willing to get them to try they. it would be nice to here from others that have tried them to see which ones are worth the download.
    =8?)

07-31-08 10:08 AM
    The free app Paul Haenel put in the thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/app...ut-maps-20979/ has the speed displayed, among other things. It is different from the display on SpeedOmeter, but it is there.

I don't know why SpeedOmeter is requiring the website to check the speed using you phone's gps. Sure it is checking for software updates, but it should be able to recover from that error and move on to do the real work.
    07-31-08 10:25 AM
    Any possibility of getting an OTA for the app?
    =8?)

07-31-08 10:30 AM
    Any possibility of getting an OTA for the app?
    =8?)

I would ask in that Thread. I don't have anyplace to host it right now, but the original author might.
    07-31-08 03:35 PM
    I ditched SpeedOmeter and am now using GPSed. Its free also. Miss the large readout. But GPSed has the same SOG but also more fetures. Also OTA. Give it a try
    =8')

08-04-08 02:44 PM
    Today 8/5/08 my SpeedOmeter is working. It has worked 3 times today. The last time I used it was 10:00 pm central time USA.

Cool I hope that it continue to work.

08-06-08 12:25 AM
    Thought this would be a good application, but I cant seem to get it to work. First of all, does it work?

2nd) it does not work for me. I have turned on my gps. I have a BB curve. My operating system seems to be a 4.3. The timer works, but the speed o meter does not work. It is in red and so is the symbol of the the satellite. The time is in blue and so is the distance (blue) but it does not increase.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

TCA
    08-29-08 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD