I was looking around and stumble on this program. Kinda looks like what I'm looking for hiking, hunting and ect... Does anyone use this program? What do you think of it? Is it worth the money? I'm willing to pay if it's a good program. I currently use BB maps and trying out Nav4all for driving. They don't have a trial period to try it out, least what i could tell.
    07-20-08 10:09 AM
    I used a 30 day free trial of trimble. I liked it. Just didn't think it was worth the money and space to buy it for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-08 11:50 AM
    Same here. I do a lot of hiking in remote areas. I liked the app for research and planning ahead, but it wasn't worth the money. Perhaps if it was a one-time reasonable fee. I really loath this monthly subscription/payment society we've become.

In the end I decided to get a stand-alone Garmin GPS (Colorado 400t) for hiking. It has all the features I wanted, much better reception and lock times and it goes for days on standard AA batteries.

The major problem with using a BB for a hiking GPS is the lack of offline map data. I rarely have service in the wilderness or mountains, so no map download possible.

I really wish Garmin software was on par between Windows Mobile and BB. On my WinMo device, I have the entire US City Navigator 2009 loaded plus full Topo maps for my State. Unfortunately, the GPS reciever on the device is crap and it eats its battery way too fast.
    07-21-08 12:46 AM
    My BB using gpsed tracked my hike from Snow Lake back down to Alpental. The Freedom gps puck is much more receptive than my older Garmin 76cs when hiking under cover or close into hillsides.

I have thought of getting a newer Garmin but I would really miss the Alarm Clock feature which they removed from newer 76 models.

As you say, battery life of a cell phone tracking hikes is not very good, the unit is not very weatherproof and unless you have data (not likely in wilderness areas (none at Snow Lake for example)) you cannot see a map. The convergence of devices is nice but sometimes separate devices is just plain better.
    07-21-08 08:52 AM
    I have thought of getting a newer Garmin but I would really miss the Alarm Clock feature which they removed from newer 76 models.
    They were removed from the 76 series and the 60 series but the new Garmin Oregon series has an alarm clock in it. The Colorado series also has still has them.
    07-21-08 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD