02-19-11 06:17 PM
37 12
tools
    I had been using a Curve 8330 and loved it. It was my first smartphone. I tried a Curve 8530 and didn't like how cheaply it was made. The keys weren't solid like my 8330. It had faster software but it locked up sometimes and really didn't offer much more than the 8330.

Since Verizon hasn't offered much lately for Blackberry phones, I decided to go with an iPhone. While I liked some of the features, I just didn't like it enough to keep it and wanted a Blackberry back with my keyboard! The Blackberry email is so much better and comes through as I receive it. The iPhone didn't seem to retrieve it as often. There are so many features on the Blackberry I like that the iPhone didn't have like ringtone profiles, text enlargement on instant messengers, and the notification light. I do have an iPad and I really like it, but the iPhone didn't really offer anything more than I already can do with it other than talking and texting.

I was hoping Verizon would get the Blackberry Torch, but since the Bold 9650 has OS 6 now I decided to go with it and so far am liking it. I'm really relieved to have a Blackberry again.
    02-14-11 08:58 PM
    It was faster probably due more to the hardware than the software. The hardware is better in the newer Curves, as well :P

IRT Email on iPhone. If you use GMail, I have noticed GMail being very slow lately. Sent myself an email the other day, and it took like 5 minutes to show up in my GMail inbox. I thought my phone crapped out or something (didn't hear the notification), but I went to Gmail.com in the browser and it just wasn't there. It took forever, but that will be remedied in < a week when my HD7 comes in. I will savor the moment I get to click "Delete Account" on my Google Account Page

Hotmail over ActiveSync seems to be more reliable than Gmail these days, IMO, and with Live Essentials or the Outlook Connector the experience is seamless. iPhone can use that.

If you only kept an iPhone for a couple weeks then you cannot really base comparisons on that. There are lots of Apps (both Paid and Free) that really make the iPhone worth owning. If you're just trailing a phone, then you probably didn't fully explore all of that.

But it's the middle of Apple's product cycle, so I'm not sure I would have gotten an i4, anyways. I would have waited for better Blackberries, as well.
    02-14-11 09:18 PM
    Welcome back, I did the same thing going to an Evo and coming back. Blackberry just works and is easy to use. Its like putting on your favorite pair of jeans after having to wear an uncomfortable tux all week
    02-14-11 09:41 PM
    Live and learn. Welcome back!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-11 10:49 PM
    You're in good company. You tried, and it wasn't for you. It doesn't mean the iPhone is bad, it just wasn't you. Welcome back.

02-14-11 11:33 PM
    Welcome back! It sounds like a Blackberry is more for you. That's all that matters!
    02-14-11 11:50 PM
    We have started to allow people the option of the VZW iPhone when they are eligible for an upgrade. My boss went to great lengths to warn people to really try one if they haven't and make sure they were going to stick with it. If they decide they hate it and want to go back to BB, they'll have to buy one... Should be interesting to see how it pans out.
    02-15-11 01:19 AM
    It was faster probably due more to the hardware than the software. The hardware is better in the newer Curves, as well :P
    Just like to say that I have had the 8330, 8530, now the 9300, and the 8330 was still the best Curve I have ever owned,
    Best built, best signal strength, best Battery life,

and really I much preferred the look of BBM4.X over BBM5.x
    browser sucked sure,
    very few apps for it
    but it had the least amount of lag when activating voice commands, it had the least amount of lag when changing themes, the 8330 is a device until you've owned it, you can't appreciate how great it was.
    02-15-11 08:25 AM
    8330 was a great device, no doubt about it, but it really shows its age.

Welcome back to the world of BB OP. I know that there are several of us in the same boat as you, coming from an iPhone, myself included. It just wasn't for me.
    02-15-11 10:09 AM
    If you only kept an iPhone for a couple weeks then you cannot really base comparisons on that. There are lots of Apps (both Paid and Free) that really make the iPhone worth owning. If you're just trailing a phone, then you probably didn't fully explore all of that.
    Starting this year Verizon only allows you a couple weeks. They went from a 30 day to a 14 days return policy.
    02-15-11 10:27 AM
    Welcome back! Nothing wrong with trying something different if only for a short while.

Welcome back to the good team.

02-15-11 10:29 AM
    You know, it's a good thing you can try the phone for a couple of weeks to see how well you like it. I had an iPhone before, and it was fun, but the on screen keyboard got on my nerves too much.
    02-15-11 11:18 AM
    I had been using a Curve 8330 and loved it. It was my first smartphone. I tried a Curve 8530 and didn't like how cheaply it was made. The keys weren't solid like my 8330. It had faster software but it locked up sometimes and really didn't offer much more than the 8330.

Since Verizon hasn't offered much lately for Blackberry phones, I decided to go with an iPhone. While I liked some of the features, I just didn't like it enough to keep it and wanted a Blackberry back with my keyboard! The Blackberry email is so much better and comes through as I receive it. The iPhone didn't seem to retrieve it as often. There are so many features on the Blackberry I like that the iPhone didn't have like ringtone profiles, text enlargement on instant messengers, and the notification light. I do have an iPad and I really like it, but the iPhone didn't really offer anything more than I already can do with it other than talking and texting.

I was hoping Verizon would get the Blackberry Torch, but since the Bold 9650 has OS 6 now I decided to go with it and so far am liking it. I'm really relieved to have a Blackberry again.
    @ Baxvent welcome back to Blackberry World.
    now, if you don't mind, i highlighted some part of you post to make a point.

THIS.. my fellow members is an example of a useful thread where the OP detailed the factors for the switch. As much as it helped him, this will give valid information to new members, especially the Verizon group who are on the fence of getting the iphone 4.

Everyday we come across useless threads that only incite.
    Ex. Goodbye BB, iphone 4 Blows OR returning back to BB iphone is a Toy.
    OR DIE Playbook DIE. etc
    unfortunately, the OPs of these thread will only POST once in that thread and wait for the heated arguments that follows. They will NOT give any specifics at all.
    valorian and pantlesspenguin like this.
    02-15-11 11:32 AM
    @ Baxvent welcome back to Blackberry World.
    now, if you don't mind, i highlighted some part of you post to make a point.

THIS.. my fellow members is an example of a useful thread where the OP detailed the factors for the switch. As much as it helped him, this will give valid information to new members, especially the Verizon group who are on the fence of getting the iphone 4.

Everyday we come across useless threads that only incite.
    Ex. Goodbye BB, iphone 4 Blows OR returning back to BB iphone is a Toy.
    OR DIE Playbook DIE. etc
    unfortunately, the OPs of these thread will only POST once in that thread and wait for the heated arguments that follows. They will NOT give any specifics at all.
    +1
    I could not agree more. That's exactly why all these doom and gloom posts or the trolls on the forum are becoming really annoying.
    02-15-11 11:44 AM
    Noting the OP's comment about the notification LED. I've seen a number of comments related to that simple issue, and it's almost amazing how it can be a deal breaker. That LED, with a color changing app, can be so helpful when things need to be quiet. Not having to have the screen light up where others can read what is coming in is sweet.

With an app and a glance, I can tell if I need to answer the phone now, or see if I can wait a few.

02-15-11 11:52 AM
    I came back to my 8330 after a 6 month fling with a Droid X. I'll never leave again. For actual communication, the BB rules. And for me, that is the number one priority.

I will miss the big screen, awesome web browser, and spoken turn-by-turn nav on the DX. But, at least I can type proficiently again.

Welcome back to the crack.

02-15-11 12:15 PM
    Welcome back, I did the same thing going to an Evo and coming back. Blackberry just works and is easy to use. Its like putting on your favorite pair of jeans after having to wear an uncomfortable tux all week
    Great analogy....Geaux Tigers!
    02-15-11 12:28 PM
    Noting the OP's comment about the notification LED. I've seen a number of comments related to that simple issue, and it's almost amazing how it can be a deal breaker. That LED, with a color changing app, can be so helpful when things need to be quiet. Not having to have the screen light up where others can read what is coming in is sweet.

With an app and a glance, I can tell if I need to answer the phone now, or see if I can wait a few.

This is exactly what brought me to Blackberry. I didn't like people seeing my texts right when I got them since the screen lit up, and the LED light from the BB is so useful. It definitely is a deal breaker for me.
    02-15-11 01:34 PM

MUST you leave your phone in an exposed location, if secrecy is so important to you?? That sounds at first blush, to be a very weak argument against having a phone that displays messages as they come in. Could you elucidate, please??
    02-15-11 01:59 PM

All I use is the led, I have all alerts off except for calls, and then I use my led for everything, and with the BerryBuzz app I can tell which email box I'm getting mail from, or if I have a text, or BBM at a glance as BK said. You can't do that on a iphone or android, you just can't. Now if you want a better browsing experience or more apps, then maybe the iphone or android IS for you. BUT I'm a BB guy!
    02-15-11 02:20 PM
    MUST you leave your phone in an exposed location, if secrecy is so important to you?? That sounds at first blush, to be a very weak argument against having a phone that displays messages as they come in. Could you elucidate, please??

It is very common to be sitting around a business table and everyone having their phones sitting on the table be it a break out group at a conference, or lunch meetings, or small board room meetings, before my Blackberry I used to always place my phone face down because it did get distracting in a semi dark room to see phones light up.

the LED is great in that instance,
    1812dave likes this.
    02-15-11 03:26 PM
    Really comes down to touchscreen vs physical keyboard. Iphone is nice but its not for everybody, glad you got a phone you're happy with.
    02-16-11 09:29 AM
    I can say I am looking forward to BlackBerry OS 6.1, and BlackBerry Bold Touch. I'll be using my iPod (4th gen with Retina Display) with the Mobile HotSpot feature of BlackBerry.

Don't really need an iPhone if I do that, and I can stay with BlackBerry that way. Best of both worlds.
    02-16-11 02:17 PM
    I can say I am looking forward to BlackBerry OS 6.1, and BlackBerry Bold Touch. I'll be using my iPod (4th gen with Retina Display) with the Mobile HotSpot feature of BlackBerry.

Don't really need an iPhone if I do that, and I can stay with BlackBerry that way. Best of both worlds.

How did u get the mobile hotspot feature for blackberry?? I didn't know that existed yet..

02-16-11 04:12 PM
    ^ mdrejhon was referring to the new Bold touch.. which isn't out yet.
    02-16-11 06:22 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD