Hey Folks

Have seen some similar threads, but they don't answer my questions.
    I have a new Z10 and an old 9700 and am with Bell Mobility in Canada.
    I have looked at Bells roaming travel plans....and Yikes!....pricey. Essentially I am only looking for text and BBM.
    Questions:
    1.Would I be better to unlock the 9700 and use it in UK or unlock the Z10 on one of their local carriers (they any cheaper?)
    2. Does unlocking the Z10 create any issues when I come home? (only going for 10 days) as this is my main device. I really don't want to muck anything up

Any advice?.....please and thanks

Matt
    05-28-13 05:29 PM
    Answer to #2: no.

Generally speaking, local SIM service is cheaper than international plans through native carriers. Hopefully someone from the UK replies with local service costs here.

The Z10 will likely use more data, whereas the 9700 might require an additional payment for BIS (I believe it's generally around five pounds/month)
    05-28-13 05:38 PM
    Thanks Raino

I have decided to take the 9700 with me, and get a SIM in UK.
    Bell told me that if I unlocked my Z10 that it will void the warranty..........so 9700 it is.

Now I am just wondering how to get all of my contacts off of the z10 and load them on my 9700............any thoughts?
    (BB Link and or Desktop manager are not yielding a lot of info). I am sure there are very few folks going backwards in devices.
    05-31-13 08:30 PM
    OP. I am heading to the UK, France and Spain in August and September. I will be unlocking my Bell Z10 and getting local Sim cards in each country. Works very well. Up to you but it's unlikely you will have an issue with unlocking your Bell mobile.

Happy travels mate!

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 08:42 PM
    That's BS! The Bell rep lied to you! Unlocking does not void warranty.

As for alternate means of transferring contacts, there are a couple of ways I can think of right at this moment, not sure if they'd work with the Z10 though: 1. Bluetooth transfer, and 2. Syncing with a Google account (if you're comfortable)
    05-31-13 08:46 PM
    Like Raino said unlock that Zed and F Bell lol :-)

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 08:47 PM
    I have been in London for the past 3 days and my solution was to get a refurbished unlocked AT&T mifi from eBay. I then went to the Amazon.uk site and ordered a Three.co.uk SIM, data only 3G broadband of 3GB data which is good for 30 days and had it delivered to the hotel so it was here when I arrived.

It cost �11.89 but with VAT and delivery it ends up at �15.84. I put it in the mifi and everyone here with me can connect. Speed is reasonable, usually about 2-3 Mbps down.

I have T-Mobile so I have wifi calling, so 3GB of 3G data, with wifi calling for less than �16 and it can be shared is quite reasonable for data and phone calls (I even watched the Miami Heat game using my slingbox).
    05-31-13 09:16 PM