I'm in the early stages of planning an 800 km walk along the Camino de Santiago starting in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France and ending up in either Camino de Compostela or Cape Finisterre, Spain. I want to take my bb with me, more for email/texting my distraught and worry wart of a mother and for any type of emergency I should find myself in. It will be a 6 week trek and I'm wondering if I'm better off buying a data package from Telus (I live in Canada) or purchasing something in France or Spain. Any opinions on what course of action to take?
    09-26-11 02:54 PM
    You can unlock your device and purchase a prepaid BB data plan with minutes from Vodafone or Orange.
    09-26-11 03:37 PM
    You can unlock your device and purchase a prepaid BB data plan with minutes from Vodafone or Orange.
    Thanks, was just about to edit my comments to say the phone was unlocked. Any idea on the price and where exactly do you buy this from Orange/Vodaphone, I'll be traveling through mostly rural areas though I have read they do have cell towers. I assume it will be a sim card to be installed, correct? Thank you again, comments are most appreciated.
    09-26-11 03:40 PM
    Price is about 20-30 euro's for unlimited bbm and email for a couple months.. Not sure about talk time. You can purchase them at the airport or their local shops.
    voltaire likes this.
    09-26-11 06:32 PM
    I'm in the early stages of planning an 800 km walk along the Camino de Santiago starting in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France and ending up in either Camino de Compostela or Cape Finisterre, Spain. I want to take my bb with me, more for email/texting my distraught and worry wart of a mother and for any type of emergency I should find myself in. It will be a 6 week trek and I'm wondering if I'm better off buying a data package from Telus (I live in Canada) or purchasing something in France or Spain. Any opinions on what course of action to take?
    Hi Thread! The camino frances is a beautiful walk and I think you will enjoy it. You should purchase a package in France and in spain. The cheapest way is to keep local! I went through an Irish company specialized on the camino (Follow The Camino) and they really helped me on every issues, good rate B&B and so on... Hope that will help and buen camino!
    04-26-12 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD