Has anybody went from Lumia phone to Blackberry phone?

How did you feel about the transition to the BB OS>?

The thing is I really like Windows OS and the live tiles, meanwhile blackberry looks like android, with desktops and shortcuts. I don't like that at all. Only saving grace I see is the blackberry HUB.

So main reason I'd like to try blackberry is the physical keyboard. I don't do lots of texting, but whenever I have to text something it's painful with a touch screen.

Also haven't yet chosen which way to go passport or q10.(very differently priced) if go for a change at all.
    Currently using Lumia 1520. If only windows phone had keyboard....
    07-25-15 07:07 AM
    I did.

I went from using a lumia 520 to a blackberry q5. And now a BlackBerry classic.

There is some things I miss about the windows phone os, one being live tiles. Another being cortana.

Over all, I like blackberry more. Mostly for its ability to run android apps.

Windows phone has more apps then blackberry does.
    But with BlackBerry having support for android apps, I find that blackberry has less of a gap in app support.

I personal like both, but after using both, a lot. I decided to stay with blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 11:35 AM
    What do you like about live tiles? Or what's the benefit of it?

I am seriously thinking to get a Lumia with Windows 10, maybe the new 950... but I will wait for a couple months to let Microsoft to sort out initial bugs I think December would be a good time.

Posted via Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.876
    07-28-15 11:34 AM
    There isn't really a Android BlackBerry 10 similarly in that aspect, BlackBerry 10 is similar to IOS in App selection terms, no fancy widgets just Apps and Shortcuts
    07-28-15 11:43 AM
    Has anybody went from Lumia phone to Blackberry phone?

How did you feel about the transition to the BB OS>?

The thing is I really like Windows OS and the live tiles, meanwhile blackberry looks like android, with desktops and shortcuts. I don't like that at all. Only saving grace I see is the blackberry HUB.

So main reason I'd like to try blackberry is the physical keyboard. I don't do lots of texting, but whenever I have to text something it's painful with a touch screen.

Also haven't yet chosen which way to go passport or q10.(very differently priced) if go for a change at all.
    Currently using Lumia 1520. If only windows phone had keyboard....
    Get the Passport . It is an awesome device.

  
    07-28-15 01:39 PM
    I have, I wrote about it here.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=987674

I to this day use both phones, they each have their strengths but as far as getting stuff done quickly. It's bb10 as my daily phone. I'll reevaluate when windows 10 comes out. My lumia is fun for entertainment purposes but aside from the live tiles, the app switching and resuming is pretty clunky and feels cumbersome at times. Notifications menu also still bother me for some reason.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by djchrisluna; 07-28-15 at 06:57 PM.
    07-28-15 05:14 PM
    Had windows phone before and it is a disaster of an OS. One of the biggest and richest company in the world for last 10 years or more is trying to improve on this product and they still can't cut it. Thousands of programmers, millions spent and this OS is lacking in so many basic functions.
    From calendar, phone app, email client!, to text messaging, contact management it's all awkward, ugly and so basic. Notifications a joke. Quick settings a joke (around 4 max). Lock screen functionality a joke. Browser a joke.
    People seem to love live tiles (the only feature that's making sense), however I would take active frames + HUB any day of the week.
    07-28-15 07:19 PM
    What do you like about live tiles? Or what's the benefit of it?

I am seriously thinking to get a Lumia with Windows 10, maybe the new 950... but I will wait for a couple months to let Microsoft to sort out initial bugs I think December would be a good time.

Posted via Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.876
    Live Tiles is like a resizable active frame (BB)/Widget (Android) which doubles as an App Launcher. It's a nice way of organizing your most used app. It is a clean look (subjective) of your home page. The problem I had with Live Tiles is once your Apps/Tiles grow it can feel cluttered at times. But I guess that's true for all OS.

The People Hub and Family Room is also a very good feature of Windows Phone. It is like BB's Hub but centered on contacts and more of a social tool than a messaging tool. The Family Room is useful especially if everyone in the Family is using WP. I believe this was already discontinued in lieu of another App.

Typing this, I actually miss my Lumia 1020 which died on me a few months ago.

On the other hand, nothing can beat BlackBerry's Hub in terms of emails, messaging and communication.

WP and BB10 are really good OSes hampered by poor apps. Yet I really liked both OS despite the limited ecosystem. Of the two, WP has a better chance of getting more apps especially if their Unified App (for Mobile, Desktop, Tablets, Xbox), program delivers. Not unless BlackBerry can get Google to officially allow Google Play into their BB10 phones.

For the OP I suggest you get a Passport. You will love the capacitive keyboard. The Hub is nice, Blend is also a tool that might prove useful for you.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 06:41 AM
    Live Tiles is like a resizable active frame (BB)/Widget (Android) which doubles as an App Launcher. It's a nice way of organizing your most used app. It is a clean look (subjective) of your home page. The problem I had with Live Tiles is once your Apps/Tiles grow it can feel cluttered at times. But I guess that's true for all OS.

The People Hub and Family Room is also a very good feature of Windows Phone. It is like BB's Hub but centered on contacts and more of a social tool than a messaging tool. The Family Room is useful especially if everyone in the Family is using WP. I believe this was already discontinued in lieu of another App.

Typing this, I actually miss my Lumia 1020 which died on me a few months ago.

On the other hand, nothing can beat BlackBerry's Hub in terms of emails, messaging and communication.

WP and BB10 are really good OSes hampered by poor apps. Yet I really liked both OS despite the limited ecosystem. Of the two, WP has a better chance of getting more apps especially if their Unified App (for Mobile, Desktop, Tablets, Xbox), program delivers. Not unless BlackBerry can get Google to officially allow Google Play into their BB10 phones.

For the OP I suggest you get a Passport. You will love the capacitive keyboard. The Hub is nice, Blend is also a tool that might prove useful for you.

Posted via CB10
    I went the other way - from BB10 to a Lumia 830. I believe the people app with the social aspect you are referring to has been discontinued.

I've been using my Windows phone as my daily driver since late April and recently started using my Z10 again as well. There are things I like about both OS's, but BlackBerry wins at communication hands down for me. Email, calendar and to dos are easier and way more functional on my Z10. And the BBM app on the Windows phone was so bad I had to uninstall it - not that that's Windows fault.

For pictures and Onedrive and Onenote integration - Windows phone absolutely wins. I use Onenote extensively and it just flows way better than the Android app on my BB10. I also really enjoy Cortana and have started using it more.

Ironically on the app front - the few I did use regularly they don't have on Windows so I've had to work around that too. Which reminds me OP - I think you'll find the browser on BB10 a lot better than what Windows has right now.

I'm holding onto my Windows phone at least until Windows 10 mobile comes out and I can see if that improves the communication aspect at all. Otherwise I'll probably be jumping to a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-29-15 06:01 PM
    @Zedd88

I just dug a bit more into the people app and it does link to social profiles. Nice. BB10 does as well in its contacts app - but I actually like the way Windows does it a bit better.

The other app you mentioned, family room, may be the one that was discontinued. I would have to try and go through the archives on Windows central to be sure - but I haven't seen it listed anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 08:21 PM
    @Zedd88

I just dug a bit more into the people app and it does link to social profiles. Nice. BB10 does as well in its contacts app - but I actually like the way Windows does it a bit better.

The other app you mentioned, family room, may be the one that was discontinued. I would have to try and go through the archives on Windows central to be sure - but I haven't seen it listed anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    It's the Family Room that was discontinued. The People Hub is still there and it's implementation is really nice.

I agree that as a communication tool, the BB10 OS is better specially if you have a PKB like the Passport.

For me WP and BB10 are two great OS that is unfortunately being overlooked.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    07-30-15 10:37 AM