How do I go about this so that when I change phones I can have everything on the SIM?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by cherryjuice; 07-27-10 at 02:58 PM.
    07-27-10 02:53 PM
    This is NOT the way you want to do it.

The SIM card has very little memory and only saves basic contact info (name and primary phone #). Much better to do a desktop manager backup or sync via an online service (like Google Sync).

I believe, however, that you do this by selecting a contact from your list and selecting "copy to SIM" or something like that (I have a Verizon phone with no SIM card at the moment). I think the phone number has to be highlighted for the option to be present.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 07-27-10 at 03:07 PM.
    07-27-10 03:04 PM
    Interesting. Wt does evry1 else think?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-10 05:42 PM
    I agree that a backup or sync is the best way to go for the reason listed above
    and also because depending on the number of contacts it can be a cumbersome
    process as you have to do them one at a time. Copying from the SIM to the phone
    can be done en masse oddly enough though.
    07-27-10 05:47 PM
    What phone are you switching to?
    07-27-10 06:18 PM
    What phone are you switching to?
    Very good question and I think I know where your head is at. If it is another
    BlackBerry, the best way would be to use the Device Switch Wizard (that is
    of course if you have both phones at the time)
    07-27-10 06:25 PM
    This subject has been covered numerous times.

The SIM card is basically two fields. Name, number.

Where will you store Postal address, multiple emails and multiple phone numbers, web address, fax number?

The only way I have done this is to Synce Contacts to a PC ASCII file. Edit this file to contain just the basic 2 fields (don't forget the length limitation on the name field - 15 bytes, I think).

Now use a USB SIM Card reader/writer (there's many on ebay) to write the edited file onto the SIM card.

I know this works because I have done it.

If you get a new smart phone then you will alsmost certainly be able to synce your Contacts to Outlook, Google or Yahoo from the BlackBerry and then synce them back onto your new phone. If your new phone does not sync to theses apps, do not buy it.
    07-27-10 06:27 PM
    im switching to a 9700 thats in better shape than mine is.. not that mine's bad,but it does have some surface scratches on the lcd etc. out with the old and in with the new... i dont have many contacs buts im going to try the device switch in DM> this should be fun. hope it's not complicated..
    07-27-10 06:46 PM
    It's not Plug in device A and let DM do what it does.
    When it prompts you, disconnect device A and plug in device B and again let DM
    do it's thing. When done, the two devices will be mirror images of each other.
    07-27-10 06:56 PM
    that's exactly what has happened!! it was VERY easy and not complicated at all~ Thanks guys i wasn't sure the best way to accomplish this and im not very experienced with DM. But i learn something new everyday that's why I love this place
    07-27-10 08:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD