Hi guys,

A guy in my office has a Blackberyy 8800 with a bunch of software from his previous employer on it. At the end of the month they're stopping his service but allowing him to keep the phone for himself.

They'll probably just wipe it as it's on a BES but he wants to retain the contacts, to-do list and a number of other things.

His previous employers have sent through a CSV of his contacts but for some reason this doesn't include e-mail addresses.

Should I just back it up with Desktop Manager (and if so, which version?) and then copy it back when he puts his own SIM in to the phone?

Or is there something else I need to look at?

Thanks
    08-11-09 05:18 AM
    Anybody know? I just want to know if I can back up the phone using DM and then transfer back when his old employers wipe the phone and he puts his own SIM in.
    08-11-09 09:03 AM
    Yes. BlackBerry Desktop Manager is the tool for that job.

You can use any version, but the latest version is always the preferred choice.

Make a Backup of the current device, then use Advanced Restore to recover the specific data you need to recover.
    08-11-09 09:11 AM
    Thanks - is there anything that can cause conflict with the previous employers software on there?
    08-11-09 09:24 AM
    Perhaps. That is why I suggest using Advanced Restore to recover just the data of interest.

If custom applications are saving data, restoring it to a new device would be pointless, and a potential source of problems.
    08-11-09 09:29 AM
    Thanks. Now I need to figure out why the BB is showing up as Disconnected on Desktop Manager after I've backed it up
    08-11-09 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD