So I put my Bold 9700 up for sale on craigslist. It is in great condition, light wear and tear, nothing major, and I'm including an otterbox defender case with it.

I have an offer from someone that wants to trade me a red Torch 9800 for it as they say they would rather have the Bold. They say they have had it for approx one month and that it's in perfect condition.

What would you do? What is worth more? I plan on doing the transaction in person, anything I should check in to before doing the trade?

Any input is very much appreciated!
    03-21-11 10:05 PM
    I think they've both been going for about the same price on AT&T.

What I'd check:
    - The slider. Make sure it feels secure and has no wobble by messing with the touch screen both open and closed.
    - Bottom buttons and trackpad. Make sure they all press uniformly and they all work ... easy enough to do just flipping around the phone app and menus.
    - Physical keyboard. Keys should be backlit when the slider opens. Keys should be easy to depress but firm.
    - Bezels and corners. Look for scrapes or chips in places that might indicate it's been dropped.

If the Torch is only a month old, it should still look pretty new and feel solid, as long as it hasn't been dropped, or worse -- run through the washer. That's all I can think of off the top of my head at this ridiculous hour. Good luck!

Edit: A quick check on Amazon shows the Torch at $517 and the 9700 at $387. Looks like you're getting a deal if the Torch is in good shape.
    Last edited by 18to12fitty; 03-22-11 at 12:13 AM.
    jimroot likes this.
    03-22-11 12:10 AM
    The PIN they gave me comes back to a CrackBerry user when Googled, looking at their forum posts it seems that the pin has been alive for at least four months, a slight stretch from the one month they told me, but I didn't see anything in their postings that would indicate troubles/damages.

I guess I'm still 50/50, looking for more opinions!
    03-22-11 12:36 AM
    I'd go for it. The difference between a bold and torch is night and day.
    03-22-11 02:35 AM
    as long as you can get a hands on with the phone before you finalize id go for it
    03-22-11 01:39 PM
    There is that old adage if it seems to good to be true it probably is, BUT perhaps he really wants the 9700 and is willing to take the loss, PLUS your Otter does add SOME value.

One protection you can take is to make the deal in an ATT store so the phone can be switched and activated right on the spot, to avoid any problems with activation. (lost/stolen, money owed, etc)
    03-22-11 01:52 PM
    Doesn't look like its legit
    03-22-11 03:09 PM
    Doesn't look like its legit
    I agree. The phone could be broken or something.
    03-23-11 10:22 AM