View Poll Results: Trackball or Trackpad?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trackball

58 22.92%
  • Trackpad

188 74.31%
  • Trackwheel (old school)

7 2.77%
01-27-11 08:54 AM
136 ... 3456
tools
    First off i would just like to say i am addicted to my BB... I started off w/ an 8330 once the charging slot broke i switched to a tuchscreen Samsung confirming to me that Blackberry's are the best thing EVER. I quickly switched to the 8830WE which i like everything about the phone besides the fact that it does not have a camera... I have learned to life without it...

Anyways, I am currently contemplating on breaking my contract w/ Verizon for a switch to T-Mobile and get a new BB. Well, on 10/30 i visited a T-mobile kiosk in my local mall and spoke with a rep while toying with the 8520 i believe. I love the trackpad... It moves without a hitch and is much easier on the thumbs. With both BB's i have had i had nothing but troubles with the trackballs and have become an expert in changing them.

While speaking with the T-mobile rep he informed me that RIM is getting away from the trackballs because of all the problems. He said "there will not be another BB released w/ a trackball." So for those who are skeptics of the trackpad your going to have to get used to it!! My only thought about this is what problems may come after constant use... Can/will these trackpads last 20 - 24 months for an upgrade. I sure hope so because i would assume that the process of changing a trackpad would be much more difficult that the trackball.
    I came on here to research the track pad. I have 30 days to upgrade. I read your post. If you're thinking about breaking your contract with Verizon you should check out Credo Mobile. They lease the rights to Sprint cell towers. I've had great coverage with them so far (switched from AT&T) four months ago. They will pay up to 200 dollars in cancellation fees to switch to them. They have some great deals on blackberry's right now. And if you're a year in and you want to upgrade. If you extend your contract to two years from that point they offer upgrade deals on phones instead of having to wait the 24 months with other providers. I just went from 20 months to 24 months on my contract and I got the 8330 for free. I have 30 days to upgrade to the 8530 with the track pad for 49.99. They also let you check your plan online before each months bill, and if you're going over your said plan, they let you go to the next plan up for that month instead of being hit with all the overage fees. Great company! Check out CredoMobile.com/contract-buyout. It's worth a look! Good luck
    04-14-10 02:46 PM
    Just switched to my first trackpad device and it is far and away better than the
    trackball. And there are none of the cleaning issues.
    04-14-10 03:13 PM
    Trackwheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    04-14-10 03:21 PM
    The trackpad doesnt feel right to me. I prefer the trackball on my Tour. Cannot stand the trackball on my old curve though.
    04-15-10 07:29 PM
    I had a Bold 9000 with the trackball, and it got dirty and became the lovely "smoker's tooth brown/yellow" after literally a week-and-a-half. And no, I don't have oily or dirty hands. It just collected dirt like crazy.

The trackpad on my Bold 9000 is awesome.
    04-15-10 10:45 PM
    Neither. When you have a great touchscreen you don't neither either one of them
    ...but we are talking BlackBerrys so great and touchscreen are terms that
    are mutually exclusive
    04-16-10 12:04 AM
    I like the trackpad. In some ways I prefer the trackball. But not the white one.
    And not because of it getting dirty. I really found a difference in the black trackball
    as opposed to the white one. The texture was just different to me and I was able
    to use it with more relative ease. Sometimes when my thumb is really, really dry
    and the skin is rough there's no responsiveness on the trackpad.
    04-16-10 02:05 PM
    Trackball FTW. Had the new curve with a trackpad and disliked it very much. I have a Tour 9630 now and I'm in love.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-10 05:11 PM
    Even though I never had a problem with any trackball I had. Trackpad is way better.

04-16-10 07:03 PM
    trackball.. trackpad too slippery
    04-16-10 08:17 PM
    I miss having a trackball. The trackpad is okay but I miss figeting with my trackball. Lol.
    04-16-10 08:19 PM
    Trackpads are simply the best! Its not something you fall for at first but after sometime, you can't picture yourself using a trackball again

04-17-10 12:58 AM
    For me trackpad is better. Never had a problem with the trackball, however the pad seems so much better overall and much more comfortable navigating...

04-17-10 11:18 AM
    I've heard nothing but bad things about my other friend's trackball laden BB's, I myself am a fan of the trackpad because of the adjustable sensitivity settings. I do wish it was backlit, though!
    04-21-10 10:36 PM
    9700 trackpad kicks ***, I found the 8520/30 trackpads metal ring around kinda hooked onto my skin abit as I used it, but the trackpad is way way better especially the 9700's

05-07-10 01:04 AM
    im not trying to be mean or anything, but this is the stupidest question ever.
    Tpad hands down.
    Dear Thread,
    I asked this question for a reason, please. It does seem like common sense but here's what happened. I got my first Blackberry Curve, with a trackball, in December and my second Blackberry 2 weeks ago which is a Bold 9700 with a Trackpad. A couple weeks ago my Cell Phone salesman showed me how to change the trackball when needed. I was just wondering if there would be a similar problem, if any, with the trackpad and would it be so easily remedied. Just curious. I like so many things about the Bold 9000 but got the Bold 9700 because of the trackpad.
    I really do have a busy life with full time Children's Librarian job (Master's degree), Musician, plus insurance/mortgage job, Grandmother, songwriter, poet, book author soon, etc. Just trying to save a little time and I love to learn from the young people (age 59).
    Thank you very much.
    Blackberry Lover, dont know what I did without one......
    Last edited by LMcManus; 05-12-10 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typos
    05-12-10 11:51 AM
    I got my brickbreaker high score with my old 8330, and can't even get close to it on my 8530. I played it on my old phone and the trackball just seemed better. :S
    05-12-10 06:10 PM
    over the years i've had about 11 blackberry's.
    all of them having trackballs, but my girlfriend has the 9700. i get to use it a lot to play games and whatnot when i'm bored since i broke my last bb.
    i'm a phone freak and walk into carrier stores to just mess around with their products.
    the trackball is more precise, easier to control, and although it gets dirty/****ed up i rather just replace it. for the 8900/9630 it's harder to replace but i've also taken apart my blackberry's entirely and it's not that difficult of a task.
    a trackball is pretty cheap off ebay or free from stores . i like that the recent ones came black so it wouldn't look so dirty.
    the trackpad's main attraction is its ability to not fall out (83xx/88xx) and not get as dirty but i rather pick performance.

i think the new droid incredible's OPTICAL JOYSTICK.
    that's what the next generation blackberrys should have in my opinion.
    but btwn the pad and the ball, i'll go with the moderately old school trackball.
    06-08-10 03:24 AM
    i got the bb 8530(trackpad) and ive used my cousins tour with the trackball and im sticking to my trackpad feels way better than the trackball.
    06-09-10 03:34 AM
    the trackball gets dirty and it sticks ALOT. I had a blue ink dot on my old 8330 it drove me nuts! The pad felt weird at first, but I quickly warmed up to it!!
    06-09-10 07:44 AM
    Ok I really wanna believe the trackpad is an upgrade but I can't use it so please help me... I came from a 8900 Curve and got the Torch now, but if it weren't for the touch screen I wouldn't be able to browse at all... I've set sensibility on the trackpad to 100 but it still doesn't react to my fingers it does react if I use it thru some fabric (my sleeve) for instance I jsut don't get it... why does everybody like it so much, am I really the only one who's experiencing this problem? If I ever get another new BB it will have the trackpad I guess since the trackball is being replaced on all models and if it ain't got a touch screen I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to even use it................. Some input would be much appreciated, thanks!
    01-18-11 09:10 AM
    I like the trackpad. In some ways I prefer the trackball. But not the white one.
    And not because of it getting dirty. I really found a difference in the black trackball
    as opposed to the white one. The texture was just different to me and I was able
    to use it with more relative ease. Sometimes when my thumb is really, really dry
    and the skin is rough there's no responsiveness on the trackpad.
    ditto on the white vs black ball (eg Curve 8900 vs Pearl 8100)
    so it's when ur skin is dry that it doesn't react? but my skin is not dry at all and it seems to work better when it IS dryer...???
    01-18-11 09:12 AM
    over the years i've had about 11 blackberry's.
    all of them having trackballs, but my girlfriend has the 9700. i get to use it a lot to play games and whatnot when i'm bored since i broke my last bb.
    i'm a phone freak and walk into carrier stores to just mess around with their products.
    the trackball is more precise, easier to control, and although it gets dirty/****ed up i rather just replace it. for the 8900/9630 it's harder to replace but i've also taken apart my blackberry's entirely and it's not that difficult of a task.
    a trackball is pretty cheap off ebay or free from stores . i like that the recent ones came black so it wouldn't look so dirty.
    the trackpad's main attraction is its ability to not fall out (83xx/88xx) and not get as dirty but i rather pick performance.

i think the new droid incredible's OPTICAL JOYSTICK.
    that's what the next generation blackberrys should have in my opinion.
    but btwn the pad and the ball, i'll go with the moderately old school trackball.
    I wish they brought back the trackball...
    01-18-11 09:17 AM
    I have used a Bold 9000 for a couple of years and the trackball quit a couple of weeks ago. I had previously got it to work again with either compressed air or an alcohol/cloth pad to clean it. No dice this time. I upgraded to a Torch 9800 and love the trackpad. I have since installed a new trackball in the Bold and it feels good to have a spare BB in case of emergency.
    01-19-11 11:27 PM
    Trackpad's quite good in my opinion, for those that want it tacktile, maybe adding some rough plastic clear film over it might help?

01-20-11 12:57 AM
136 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD