View Poll Results: Trackball or Trackpad?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trackball

58 22.92%
  • Trackpad

188 74.31%
  • Trackwheel (old school)

7 2.77%
    For those of you who have experience with both, what do you prefer and why?
    08-30-09 07:32 PM
    Trackpad, easier on the thumb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 07:46 PM
    I wonder why phones don't try an "eraserhead"-type pointer. Or is that a propriety IBM thing?
    08-30-09 08:32 PM
    I wonder why phones don't try an "eraserhead"-type pointer. Or is that a propriety IBM thing?
    Maybe because it is one of the worst things in the world, perhaps behind paper cuts and episodes of Darma and Greg.

awesome51 likes this.
    08-30-09 08:38 PM
    Trackpad. Much for durable. No moving parts, consistency in movement. It's like moving from a rubber balled mouse to an optical or laser mouse. Same concept, but it's just a lot better.
    08-30-09 08:39 PM
    Maybe because it is one of the worst things in the world, perhaps behind paper cuts and episodes of Darma and Greg.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    08-30-09 09:10 PM
    Trackpad. Much for durable. No moving parts, consistency in movement. It's like moving from a rubber balled mouse to an optical or laser mouse. Same concept, but it's just a lot better.
    I understand the theoretical advantages of optical technology (although not having any moving does not make it bulletproof, as I found out after having to replace the trackpad in my laptop). I'm more interested in hearing real life experiences with the blackberry trackpad vs. the blackberry trackball. I have a hard time imagining how such a small optical trackpad could be operated comfortably. One would think that it would have to be extremely sensitive due to its tiny dimensions.
    08-30-09 09:25 PM
    I'm feeling the trackpad even tho I haven't had one yet. I've had lots of issues with trackballs.

08-30-09 09:28 PM
    Anyone who has used the Omnia's trackpad: is the BlackBerry's trackpad similar? I had a lot of success with Samsung's. Thanks.
    08-30-09 09:54 PM
    I like the trackpad on the BB much better. But I'm guessing with the Omnia, there must be some settings to adjust the sensitivity. But I've used the BB and I like it more then the track ball. Much easier on the thumb, no ball to roll around.
    08-30-09 10:20 PM
    Nope, military tech. I believe it was introduced in the F16 for the flight stick. The original one didn't move as it was just a pressure sensitive stick but it caused problems.

So they mounted it onto a pedestal that moved and the pilots got better at controlling it.

That is what I was told anyhow.

08-30-09 10:43 PM
    Trackpad
    much better..
    lol.
    08-31-09 12:41 AM
    Haven't tried a BB trackpad, but from toying around with a Samsung Epix, I think I would prefer the pad.

Regarding the IBM, now Lenovo, touchpoint - love it, have had 7 previous ThinkPads, have 3 currently. Touchpoint is awesome. Turned off the touchpad on all notebooks.
    08-31-09 09:03 AM
    Anyone who has used the Omnia's trackpad: is the BlackBerry's trackpad similar? I had a lot of success with Samsung's. Thanks.
    I'm current user of OMNIA. Long to buy 8520.
    Trackpad on Omnia is called optical joystick, finger mouse.
    Different site tells differently.
    OMNIA allows sensitivity change and mouse/no mouse mode.
    mouse mode is good on internet nav and no mouse mode is good on menu nav.
    Don't seem that 8520 has those feature, i figure?
    So far, design and all looks different, but what people say about omnia and BB seem quite identical.
    Any one used 8520, has some comment on this?
    09-01-09 04:11 AM
    Played with a 8520 earlier today. Let me tell you the trackpad is pure joy to use. I love it.
    09-01-09 04:13 AM
    + for the Trackpad
    09-01-09 04:13 AM
    I'm current user of OMNIA. Long to buy 8520.
    Trackpad on Omnia is called optical joystick, finger mouse.
    Different site tells differently.
    OMNIA allows sensitivity change and mouse/no mouse mode.
    mouse mode is good on internet nav and no mouse mode is good on menu nav.
    Don't seem that 8520 has those feature, i figure?
    So far, design and all looks different, but what people say about omnia and BB seem quite identical.
    Any one used 8520, has some comment on this?

It has registered name called "Optical Joystick"
    09-02-09 06:59 PM
    so the trackpad is way better than the trackball?... i have 8900 its my first BB i have ever use, but have not tried on getting a BB with trackpad... so i guess after 8900 i gotta find something else with a trackpad? ima miss my BB curve
    11-01-09 01:19 PM
    No problems with the trackball yet
    11-01-09 01:22 PM
    i've had minimal problems with my trackball, but i still want to try the pad. the trackball is just another moving part to break.
    11-01-09 02:16 PM
    trackwheel

'nuff said
    11-01-09 04:04 PM
    Seriously, I played with the 8520's trackpad a few minutes, and didn't like it. My tour trackball is better(not having any issues so far) in my opinion. It feels cheap for me, it was loose in is hole(lateraly), feel not as solid as my trackball. Maybe it was a defective one just like some having issues with the trackball, but it's true that it,s a nice concept just by the fact that it will not get full of dust and become unusable. I heard a little while ago that the 9700's trackpad is better than the 8520's one, can't wait to play with it.
    11-01-09 06:42 PM
    Does the trackpad have a backlight?

11-01-09 07:12 PM
    First off i would just like to say i am addicted to my BB... I started off w/ an 8330 once the charging slot broke i switched to a tuchscreen Samsung confirming to me that Blackberry's are the best thing EVER. I quickly switched to the 8830WE which i like everything about the phone besides the fact that it does not have a camera... I have learned to life without it...

Anyways, I am currently contemplating on breaking my contract w/ Verizon for a switch to T-Mobile and get a new BB. Well, on 10/30 i visited a T-mobile kiosk in my local mall and spoke with a rep while toying with the 8520 i believe. I love the trackpad... It moves without a hitch and is much easier on the thumbs. With both BB's i have had i had nothing but troubles with the trackballs and have become an expert in changing them.

While speaking with the T-mobile rep he informed me that RIM is getting away from the trackballs because of all the problems. He said "there will not be another BB released w/ a trackball." So for those who are skeptics of the trackpad your going to have to get used to it!! My only thought about this is what problems may come after constant use... Can/will these trackpads last 20 - 24 months for an upgrade. I sure hope so because i would assume that the process of changing a trackpad would be much more difficult that the trackball.
    11-01-09 07:12 PM
    Trackpad.
    No more dirty and/or worn unresponsive trackballs.
    11-02-09 01:58 AM
136 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD