View Poll Results: bb10 trackpad, physical keys?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • No trackpad, no Physical Keys (the 4 -end,back,menu,call)

7 17.07%
  • Trackpad, no physical keys

6 14.63%
  • Trackpad and physical keys

27 65.85%
  • no pref

1 2.44%
    Hey guys, I am sorry if there has been a post/poll on this but I jus want to see how you guys feel about the trackpad, and the four physical buttons. who likes it and who doesn't, and why.

my feelings-

I love the trackpad, because it makes it easy to scroll to exact places in text, and makes web browsing easier I feel like. text editing is easy with it, and Idk i just don't see myself getting a BB wihtout one.

the four key buttons are a hotly debated feature, I personally like the buttons. If you think about it, if you want to make a call you just hit the call button and can go to previous calls to select easier (this would be the one that has the least amount of pull for me). The back button, obviously, makes it very easy and quick to just go back to the page you were on before, etc. the End button makes it easy to get to home screen from anywhere. and most importantly the menu button- it allows for multi tasking to be like how you do on a computer. its like the windows-tab key combo of a phone (the holding feature), how could I live without that?

also, people argue that they want the physical buttons to go away (these same four), and make them planted down virtual touch-buttons, that are always there. I do not see the point of this at ALLL? If those buttons are mounted down there anyway (taking up room on screen for other stuff), why not have physical buttons?

let me know your views please
    03-22-12 10:47 PM
    sorry if it was lengthy
    03-22-12 10:51 PM
    I can do without the four buttons though they would need a digital back button somewhere on screen if they take those away.

Trackpad to me must be there. I love my Trackpad.
    03-22-12 10:53 PM
    I dont need a trackpad on my playbook, if the new phones have excellent touchscreens and an excellent os a trackpad really isnt necessary.
    03-22-12 10:54 PM
    I can do without the four buttons though they would need a digital back button somewhere on screen if they take those away.

Trackpad to me must be there. I love my Trackpad.
    Im just worried about the, holding menu button to pull up what you are using. I love this feature and i multi task all the time, Idk how easy it would be to go back and forth using the virtual menu key rather than the actual button
    03-22-12 11:00 PM
    I dont need a trackpad on my playbook, if the new phones have excellent touchscreens and an excellent os a trackpad really isnt necessary.
    Yea, but you do not text on a playbook, or atleast don't use text-like options as much as you do on your phone. don't you find very very easy to use the trackpad when trying to edit a text, or select a part of it to copy/cut?
    03-22-12 11:02 PM
    I've got to say, having had a 9800 it was great to have BOTH a touchscreen and the trackpad.

Having the trackpad and buttons makes it easier to use the phone one-handed.
    03-22-12 11:59 PM
    Back Button:
    lets see. The back button can be the same as on playbook android app player. Diagonally swipe from bottom left to left side. Not sure how to explain it, but playbook owners should know. And it works for both corners, meaning both left or right handers should find it easier. IMO, RIM should make this a standard feature on the entire OS. i was browsing the web and found myself doing that swipe thing to try and go back a page. This can help provide a standard way of going back in an app. Much like the back button on current BB is doing. If i had this, i wouldn't mind not having a back button.

Menu Button:
    Currently used to open up menu for more options and hold down to get fast app switching. I aree with OP, it is brilliantly simply but extremely functional. Like in a photo app, going to the option menu, lets you send a picture to facebook, twitter, whatsapp contact.. etc. you get the idea. Its the OS wide integration of apps. Super useful as well. Fast app switch works like a charm too.
    On playbook, you can already swipe down for more options. Sort of like the menu key. But currently it is still lacking. Not all apps does not support that swiping gesture. if they can incorporate most of what is in the menu options now into BB10, with that gesture, i can give up the menu button. The fast app switching on playbook is just using bezel gestures as well.

the call/ end call buttons:
    I suppose its a give and take on this. The pros are, you can call anyone no matter which screen or app you are running, and get to your call list. Thats fast and efficient. with the end call button you can exit a phone call, or "minimise" app but leave it still running and do other things. On a BB10 as i imagined, to make a call when you are already in an app, just swipe up to get back to the home page. then there will be a dial icon. one more step, but livable with. same for if you want to "minimise" an app but keep it still running, the swiping up works as well. So i think we could get away without it.

now, the biggie. Trackpad:
    for me it really depends, if its a full touch screen BB10 with at least 4" of screen, i suppose trackpad wouldn't really be necessary. Its still less precise than a trackpad, but its survivable. But on a BB10 with physical keyboard... I'm incline towards having a trackpad. Drop all the other buttons is fine, just keep a trackpad. The screen will be too small to fully rely on touch, the trackpad will compliment the navigation of the UI. Plus, together with a keyboard, the trackpad is a deadly combo. it makes more sense if you do alot of text editing on your device.

conclusion: for the full touch BB10, i'd say no button at all. for the BB10 with physical keyboard, just give us a trackpad on it.
    03-23-12 12:33 AM
    I love my trackpad
    03-23-12 12:49 AM
    Trackpad is very important for precision text editing in a fast and efficient manner. I wouldn't want to spend time trying to tap again and again just to edit a simple text.

The other buttons is also what makes BB a great multitasker and communication device, ie phone.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    03-23-12 01:05 AM
    Full qwerty smartphone- same button arrangement as current BlackBerries, except the phone and power button could be programmable as a lot of people anymore don't primarily use voice communication, then you could do away with the side programmable button.

Full touch smartphone- Even with a gesture bezel to replace all buttons, I would still like a trackpad for accurate navigation, to keep from constantly zooming in and out when navigating through websites.

Tablet- It's big enough touch/swipe can do everything.

PS, I would miss not having programmable button(s) on a no button touch/gesture device, how about having programmable gestures?!
    Last edited by berryaddictnoza; 03-23-12 at 08:27 AM.
    03-23-12 05:15 AM
    Personally, I don't see why RIM didn't go for the touch style buttons commonly seen on Android devices, I think i'd prefer this to the physical buttons.

Not the keyboard though, I love my keyboard <3
    03-23-12 10:14 AM
    one day in the future im sitting there with my bb10 device, i am listening to music, playing a game, and also texting people every now and then (what I do now with my 9650). if I did not have the hold down menu function to pull up what applications I am using (to switch between them), how would I switch apps? exit what I'm doing, then and go and look for the app button on my screen, click it, and do the same for every single switch of apps? no, I need the hold down menu function -or something else to replace this function. just sayin
    03-23-12 10:23 AM
    Personally, I don't see why RIM didn't go for the touch style buttons commonly seen on Android devices, I think i'd prefer this to the physical buttons.

Not the keyboard though, I love my keyboard <3
    why do you have a preference for touch style buttons?
    03-23-12 10:24 AM
    one day in the future im sitting there with my bb10 device, i am listening to music, playing a game, and also texting people every now and then (what I do now with my 9650). if I did not have the hold down menu function to pull up what applications I am using (to switch between them), how would I switch apps? exit what I'm doing, then and go and look for the app button on my screen, click it, and do the same for every single switch of apps? no, I need the hold down menu function -or something else to replace this function. just sayin
    this feature is already on the playbook? swipe from left or right bezel to switch apps. or swipe from bottom to get to the home screen and minimise the apps. the swipe from left or right is actually very smooth and fast on the playbook already.
    03-23-12 10:34 AM
    this feature is already on the playbook? swipe from left or right bezel to switch apps. or swipe from bottom to get to the home screen and minimise the apps. the swipe from left or right is actually very smooth and fast on the playbook already.
    o i'm sorry, i dont have a playbook, poor college kid. then I'm ok with no menu key then, but I do like the feel of holding it and them popping up where you can scroll right to the one you want opened.
    03-23-12 10:40 AM
    I loved the buttons on my 9000 but with the playbook i like the use of the bezel gestures. Crackberry Kev apparently has seen a bb10 device and said in the blade article "don't think we'll be seeing these buttons on BlackBerry 10 phones (like the PlayBook, BB10 phones will likely be more focused on the swipe experience and touch UI)"
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-23-12 10:51 AM
    I loved the buttons on my 9000 but with the playbook i like the use of the bezel gestures. Crackberry Kev apparently has seen a bb10 device and said in the blade article "don't think we'll be seeing these buttons on BlackBerry 10 phones (like the PlayBook, BB10 phones will likely be more focused on the swipe experience and touch UI)"
    I could be ok without the buttons, although i'd prefer them. can't live without the trackpad though,
    03-23-12 10:52 AM
    Trackpad and keyboard are to stay till eternity on blackberrys. period.
    But if for some stupid reasons RIM heads to the other direction, it'll be the last nail to the coffin

This thread will give u an idea how much people love their bb keyboard and trackpad:
    forums.crackberry.com/general-discussion-f2/opinion-bestest-ever-thing-happen-blackberry-trackpad-706092/index4.html
    03-23-12 03:50 PM
    Even on the PlayBook - to do any precision text work, selections - it is like pulling teeth. Especially in elements where you cannot pinch to zoom to have greater dexterity. It is not all the time - but common enough to want to avoid using the device for 'creation' of content, and instead use it soley for 'consumption'.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-23-12 04:33 PM
    When I got my 9800 I really could care less about the key board. Now I friggin love it. That being said I do really want a 9850, its just a cool looking phone.
    03-23-12 04:48 PM
    Implement the buttons with software (if they're needed)

I like having a little cursor on the screen Ex. When editing text and viewing web pages...
    Maybe a small area that's sensitive to touch for cursor movement

The swiping simplicity of the playbook is great.
    Last edited by anthogag; 03-24-12 at 09:53 AM.
    03-23-12 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD