Hey all,

I remember reading a post a while back about a good program that will track your BB's whereabouts via GPS in case it gets stolen or lost. I'm not paranoid, and I always keep a good eye on my 8900, however it might prove beneficial in the long run to have this app just in case.

I can't seem to find that post now, and searching doesn't yield results that I want. Can anybody recommend a good service for this?
    03-04-09 01:39 PM
    Send a mail to betasupport@smrtguard.com and they should be able to give you some info.

With SmrtGuard you can track your device, remote erase it, make it sound even when put in silent mode - in case you misplaced it and can't find it..

Recent versions also do a good automatic backup of addressbook, memos, call logs, emails etc.

Check it out

SmrtGuard :: Your BlackBerry Guardian

@Morten
    03-04-09 03:49 PM
    is this free?
    03-04-09 04:13 PM
    I highly recommend getting any type of Blackberry tracking software. I regret not taking extra steps to protect my Crackberry Curve 8900. Unfortunately, while at the gym, someone stole it. When I get it replaced, the first thing I'm gonna do is download some type of BB GPS tracking application. Right now, I wish I had it. Far as price goes, I've seen other brands selling theirs for $10 or $12 and they come with a lot of features such as GPS map location, alarming the phone, sending messages to the phone, etc.
    03-24-09 07:06 PM
    I have to admit I'm on the fence about some ethical issues. Suppose I wanted to put it on my wife's BB?
    03-24-09 07:08 PM
    I have to admit I'm on the fence about some ethical issues. Suppose I wanted to put it on my wife's BB?
    Yeah, that would be a bit iffy.
    03-24-09 07:09 PM
    I agree, some guys are so lame...
    03-24-09 07:11 PM
    why would you want to do that?
    03-24-09 08:39 PM
    Why hirer a private investigator when you have a BB to do the same job.
    03-24-09 09:02 PM
    You couldn't just put it on your wife's BB because she would know about it. You would have to get your wife's BB away from here (good luck with that) to install the app without her knowing about it!

Good luck with that

Thanks for telling me about this app. I just installed it and it works GREAT. I take good care of my BB but I worry because I'm at college, and college kids can be unethical, as well as stupid. Now if it gets stolen, I get it back before some ***** spills beer on it.
    03-24-09 09:36 PM
    This type of stuff can be very Dangerous.
    03-24-09 10:07 PM
    Ethical concerns aside (I think we all understand the ramifications) I plan to try it out because it looks like it has the potetntial to be a great app if done right and a POS if it's half-assed. What I've seen has been very positive so I have lofty expectations.
    03-24-09 10:32 PM
    why would you want to do that?
    Don't know about him, but I would want to do that because my wife & I work about 50 miles apart and she is terrified of driving in bad weather; if something ever happened, having a way of knowing where she is would come in extremely handy. I would not have to worry about her knowing it is on there because she would likely ask me to install it.
    03-25-09 12:13 AM
    I went with the simpler route and use Berry Locator. It doesn't do everything that some of the newer apps do, but it does make the BB flash, ring, and vibrate (for finding it in case you misplaced it). It will then e-mail the GPS locatoin back to you. It's only a single-point location, but gives you an idea where it is right then.

I keep thinking about loading one of the GPS tracking apps, just to add an extra level of tracking.
    03-25-09 07:40 AM
    Don't know about him, but I would want to do that because my wife & I work about 50 miles apart and she is terrified of driving in bad weather; if something ever happened, having a way of knowing where she is would come in extremely handy. I would not have to worry about her knowing it is on there because she would likely ask me to install it.
    the good news is, in case of an emergency, the handset can be located, providing the battery is in it. This can only be done by the proper authorities.
    03-25-09 08:15 AM
    If you want to put it on your wife’s phone, you shouldn’t be married.
    03-25-09 09:21 AM
    the good news is, in case of an emergency, the handset can be located, providing the battery is in it. This can only be done by the proper authorities.
    I figured but in her case the last time she got stuck in the snow she was OK but couldn't get the car going. Because she drives on the backroads the response to the question of "Where are you?" was something along the lines of "I'm on a hill, and there are trees, and I think I passed a house..." Being able to map her location would've been a huge time saver for both of us.

If you want to put it on your wifes phone, you shouldnt be married.
    And you have no idea what you're talking about. Re-read what I posted... there are situations where people would *want* to have it on their phones. Likely it'll end up on all of the phones in our family.
    03-25-09 09:52 AM
    If someone stole your blackberry, couldnt they just turn off GPS locator setting. How does that work??

I have a teenage son who is very computer savvy. I wanted to install Verizon Family Locator but he would just turn off the GPS Locator. Is there a way to lock the GPS setting to "Enable"?
    02-08-10 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD