Hello all. I know that blackberry messenger can be tracked if we enable the policy on the BES server, but will this also track when a user has a contact using their PIN address instead of email? I was under the impression that PIN to PIN messages bypass the BES server but the other admin in the company says no. Any info or help appreciated.
    09-02-08 10:05 AM
    It can all be tracked if you're running the latest bes version.

All data in/out of a BB is going through your BES, so it captures it ALL. Especially if you're running 3rd party logging software such as Concevium's Mobile Analyzer. You can capture practically anything done on the BB.
    Last edited by sniffs; 09-02-08 at 12:36 PM.
    09-02-08 12:33 PM
    HI Sniffs, is there a way to tell if you company is running a logging software ? Some of us get less that politically correct during our conversations so im wondering if its something we could be burned for later... thx
    07-07-09 07:23 PM
    the BES is the logging system. And no you cannot tell. Technically any BIS data cannot be tracked, it can be blocked but not tracked.
    07-07-09 07:42 PM
    HI Sniffs, is there a way to tell if you company is running a logging software ? Some of us get less that politically correct during our conversations so im wondering if its something we could be burned for later... thx
    It's iffy.. As Sith mentioned, the BES is the logging system. It's basically a proxy, and all BES/MDS data will go through the BES, therefore it's logged.

Oh and the best part, is by default the log size is set to 0MB which means they are kept indefinitely. =(

If the check mark "Create Daily log folder" is checked, there is a folder for every day, all day long for every aspect of the BES/MDS connection that is logged, including all services, everything.

So, to put it this way, would you say the same thing in a bathroom stall to the person in the next stall? "Someone" could walk in and hear.. that "Someone" in my analogy, is the BES admin.
    07-08-09 10:14 AM
    Question...How can you tell if your phone is connected to BES?

Second - If your phone isn't connected to BES, is there any other way your PIN messages can be tracked by a third-party?
    07-20-09 08:37 AM
    If your phone isn't connected to BES, is there any other way your PIN messages can be tracked by a third-party?
    11-03-09 06:47 PM
    While its true that if connected to a BES your data all routed through that BES it does not log everything (it may log the fact that you sent a PIN message but not the text of the message). That said I know it can be set up to log PIN, Email & SMS messages.

And nope if you are not connected to a BES there is no way for a third party to log your BBM messages. Conceivably your carrier could log the data (if it was not encrypted).
    11-03-09 09:29 PM
    So let me just understand so I'm clear on this topic.. I have a personal BB that I use to message my coworkers who are senior management with there corporate BB's. Whatever I message to any senior managers is probably documented you think since there BB's go through the BES? Also, do they have a right to document what I write and use it against me? Even if its from my personal BB?

cool.. Thanks guys
    11-12-09 01:00 PM
    Shouldn't matter. The logs are kept on their server not the carriers or yours.

It's akin to you using your personal home PC and logging into OWA to send/receive emails...

If the corporate people are using BB's, chances are very high that they are on a BES that is logging pin-2-pin messages.
    11-12-09 01:02 PM
    Shouldn't matter. The logs are kept on their server not the carriers or yours.

It's akin to you using your personal home PC and logging into OWA to send/receive emails...

If the corporate people are using BB's, chances are very high that they are on a BES that is logging pin-2-pin messages.

ok- good to know.. guess I should maintain high level of professionalism on the bbm.. haha

thanks
    11-12-09 01:17 PM
    Is there a way I can get access to logs for my blackberrys??
    02-02-10 02:05 PM
    I know from all the post that IMs can be tracked and content retrived from work phones via BES. My question is, can they be tracked or retrived from a personal phone?

If so, how far back can they be retrived?
    11-06-10 01:12 PM
    Could the admind take a look at the windows live messenger conversations sent by a bb with BES?
    01-03-11 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD