What is your preference? I have tried the 9700 optical trackball and I am not impressed. Who still prefers the trackball? Is the optical trackball something you will just get used to?
    Last edited by samengland; 02-28-10 at 02:05 PM.
    02-28-10 01:58 PM
    never had a trackball-but i love the trackpad on the 9700-from everybodys posts i stayed away from a trackball bberrybecause they all stated it wouldnt go certain ways and they would stop functioning after short pds. of time
    02-28-10 02:02 PM
    yes the trackpad took me about 1 hour to get adjusted. but the pluses and minuses of it, i will take it over the trackball any day of the week. the reason...after about a year of using the trackball, i can guarantee u will have problem (i.e. dirts under it which will prevent u scrolling left or down etc.). and u will need to take it apart to clean it. the 83xx would be easy to take it apart...but the 8900 is harder. pia.

the only cons of the trackpad i can think of is it isn't great for gaming...i found the trackball are better for brickbreaker, pacman etc.
    Last edited by vincentnyc; 02-28-10 at 02:38 PM.
    02-28-10 02:02 PM
    My first BB was the Bold 9000. The trackball and memory leak were its downfalls. I upgraded to the 9700 when it came out and it's my ideal phone (once the webkit browser comes out, that is). The trackpad is miles above the trackball. No more getting jammed and unresponsive. No more getting filthy either!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-10 02:04 PM
    evolution always comes with technological advancement. rim first had the trackwheel, then came the trackball, and now the trackpad. it is just a way of life. evolution is a norm to which we all live with. i think the optical trackpad is the way to go. its a great feature to have on a phone.i know i will get used to it. the trackball has its ups and downs.
    02-28-10 02:05 PM
    Yeah it's true actually with the trackball and occasional problems, but I get the impression the optical trackpad might not be as accurate. Could anyone who has used both draw some comparisons? What is it like on the 9700?
    02-28-10 02:07 PM
    Yeah it's true actually with the trackball and occasional problems, but I get the impression the optical trackpad might not be as accurate. Could anyone who has used both draw some comparisons? What is it like on the 9700?
    Sure, check out these posts of mine:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/ne...ml#post4401407

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/bb-b...9/#post4196714
    02-28-10 02:24 PM
    definately optical, im not a fan of the track ball
    02-28-10 02:46 PM
    It took me 1 day to get use to the trackpad, then I never looked back.
    Love it.
    02-28-10 05:15 PM
    I haven't used a BlackBerry with a trackpad, but I've used a Nokia with a trackpad. I like the trackpad. I just don't have a BlackBerry with a trackpad, since none were available last June.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-28-10 05:55 PM
    the trackpad felt a little...awkward at first, but eventually i got used to it.

the trackball irked me cause of the whole issue with dirt getting underneath and not being able to scroll in certain directions. but that didn't occur until about a year after i got it. everyone seems to praise the new trackpads, but i'd think just like any new feature eventually we'll find something wrong with it. this is one just too new for us to really see what that issue will be.
    02-28-10 06:11 PM
    no more having the trackball stick and become unresponsive. no more getting dirt in the assembly. trackpad is smooth sailing. it took me about 10 minutes to get used to it.
    02-28-10 06:19 PM
    Get a storm2 and you won't have to worry about either....I actually never had an issue with the track ball on my old curve

02-28-10 08:07 PM
    I guess I'm the one in a million...my 9000 with trackball has performed flawlessly for almost 18 months. I do regular maintenance to ensure the cleanliness of the ball which entails spraying windex on a paper towel and rolling the paper towel over the entire screen area and keyboard including judicious manipulation of the ball during this process.
    I dig the thought of a track pad due to the fact that it's what I use on my laptop...but I don't see the point in fixing something on my phone that ain't broke.
    02-28-10 08:14 PM
    I've tried both and like the trackball better, when it's in good condition. The main reason is that the trackpads I've used were not secure in the phone and moved around, affecting accuracy and it was also plain annoying. When the trackball is in good condition it has a textured, positive feel that I prefer, and they replace trackballs quickly and readily at the store when they occasionally get fouled.
    02-28-10 08:28 PM
    Trackpad > Trackball, no question.
    02-28-10 08:36 PM
    I can see the points made by others. Personally, I love the trackpad. I had a 9000 and it took just a couple minutes to get used to the pad on my 9700. That being saod; my wife now uses the old 9000 with no issues.

02-28-10 08:46 PM
    The ball works. The trackpad makes more sense.

02-28-10 08:49 PM
    i love the track pad. track ball was fine but i prefer the pad. just my .02
    02-28-10 08:54 PM
    Spent some time with a Curve 2 in-store, and will only take a miniscule time to adjust to the trackpad. I was playing BrickBreaker almost as naturally as I do with a trackball, so it wasn't much of a difference. I'm looking forward to my upgrade.

02-28-10 09:51 PM
    The ball works. The trackpad makes more sense.

Right...this is the most sensible response so far...the issue for me would be reliability issues.
    Any issues with track pad?
    02-28-10 10:01 PM
    ive had 3 diff devices with the trackpad and and it was cool and all but i'd much rather have the trackpad, its a smoother feel, doesnt get dirty, or stuck...but yea it took some getting used to
    02-28-10 10:33 PM
    ive had 3 diff devices with the trackpad and and it was cool and all but i'd much rather have the trackpad, its a smoother feel, doesnt get dirty, or stuck...but yea it took some getting used to
    Any more 'getting used to' than a mouse to a track pad with a PC?
    02-28-10 10:41 PM
    I'm getting used to the trackpad on my 9700. I changed the trackball on my 9000 several times. I was a huge fan of the trackwheel.
    02-28-10 10:56 PM
    I just don't get the whole it takes awhile to get used to thing. It took me like 10 seconds to recognize that moving my thumb across the surface designated cursor movement. I'm just not following what the struggles could be.
    02-28-10 10:56 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD