I need advice. I had a BB 8310 curve and I loved the trackball but since BB doesn't have that anymore what should I get. I hate a touch screen and I really dont know a lot about the BBs out today. I guess Im a diehard trackball junkie. Can someone advice me what is my best option? what is the newest BB should I buy.
    I love to chat on BB and music and email and it has to have a camera and games. what is the last BB that had a trackball and are the optical pads worth me changing to. HELP!! Im completely in the dark.
    01-13-11 09:32 PM
    Probably the 8900 if Edge-only suits you, or 9000 for the 3G capability, if you wanted trackball. Tour unlocked is a hit or miss proposition, so I'll leave it out. The trackpad BlackBerrys, though, are quite nice. The trackpad is a sweet move from the trackball, and easier to navigate with. I went from Tour to the Style, and once I tweaked the speeds and practiced with the trackpad for about a week, be damned would I wanna go back to a trackball willingly. In the trackpad devices, you have the 9300 Curve 3G, 9700 Bold, or the 9100 Pearls, or the 9780 that should be released soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 01-13-11 at 09:52 PM.
    01-13-11 09:49 PM
    I would definitely recommend moving over to a trackpad. It is really nice to use, and all that gunk that plagues your trackball, forget it. Won't affect your beautiful trackpad. It also makes the phone look more refined in my opinion, and of higher quality. My BlackBerry 8520 still looks reasonably nice despite having been munched into yesterday...
    01-13-11 09:58 PM
    Honestly, I love the trackpad and all, but it sucks.

Sure its great to navigate with, but they squeak, creak, wobble, etc. I went through 14 9700's and 5 9780's and still could never find the perfect one. The trackball just, well, worked.
    01-13-11 09:59 PM
    I would definitely recommend moving over to a trackpad. It is really nice to use, and all that gunk that plagues your trackball, forget it. Won't affect your beautiful trackpad. It also makes the phone look more refined in my opinion, and of higher quality. My BlackBerry 8520 still looks reasonably nice despite having been munched into yesterday...
    +1. Trackpad is a nice thing to have Although I do miss my 8330 sometimes being able to pop different colored tb's in at any given time was fun! But I agree, the trackpad is nice looking on the face of the bb & just as nice/smooth to use as the tb was

01-13-11 10:02 PM
    Thank you so much for your advice. I'm really into all the bells and whistles. I love a big phone and I looked at a newer model at the store and it was so thin compared to my 8310 I just put it back. Right now I have a Pantech Link but I miss my BB so much. so Ive been looking on different site hunting which one to buy. The Pantech is just to simple and none of the fun that the BB was. Im going now to search the ones that you mentioned. Thank you so much for replying to my post.
    01-13-11 10:02 PM
    If you don't care about the best specs/OS BlackBerry has to offer I would recommend a Curve 8900 or Bold 9000.
    rafishinoda likes this.
    01-13-11 10:08 PM
    Which QWERTY keyboard do you prefer? I like the one with the separate keys.
    01-13-11 10:49 PM
    Which QWERTY keyboard do you prefer? I like the one with the separate keys.
    You'd probably get as many different answers as there are BlackBerrys. The 8300 series was my favorite keyboard, but I've adapted to the Bold style after some time, now. I run the Style, 9670 having a keyboard bigger than Bolds' has suited me just fine. Just a matter of adjusting your typing points.

And remember, it's not just better 'specs' that you'd wanna upgrade. Newer generations pick up the ability to play media formats that older devices couldn't, so that should also factor in.

Last edited by BergerKing; 01-13-11 at 10:58 PM.
    01-13-11 10:54 PM
    Trackpad > trackball... I didn't think I would like the trackpad until I made the switch now I'm like WTH a trackball...

As far as the keys go I simply think the curves are for women with finger nails.. I have fat fingers and the newer style keyboard on the bold/torch/tour give me no trouble

01-13-11 11:00 PM
    IMO the trackpad is far advanced over the trackball. Im on my third trackpad device, after a dozen trackwheel and trackball devices. As for the keyboard, the 9000 is my all time favorite, extremely easy to type on. My .02.
    01-13-11 11:09 PM
    I just upgraded from the 8220 {trackball} to the 9100 {trackpad} and it's a no brainer. Trackpad hands down all the way.
    If you don't care about the best specs/OS BlackBerry has to offer I would recommend a Curve 8900 or Bold 9000.
    I've gotta be showing my age here but like your avatar.
    CASH likes this.
    01-13-11 11:39 PM
    +1, I've got a buddy with a Bold 9000 and he loves it. It's my favorite BB form factor, hands down.

That being said, am partial to the trackball. I've used trackpad devices, and they are pretty nice, maybe once I get one for my main device my opinion may change, but I always found the trackpad not to be as precise as the ball when using it to click on specific things, especially when using the web browser.
    01-14-11 10:56 AM
    +1, I've got a buddy with a Bold 9000 and he loves it. It's my favorite BB form factor, hands down.

That being said, am partial to the trackball. I've used trackpad devices, and they are pretty nice, maybe once I get one for my main device my opinion may change, but I always found the trackpad not to be as precise as the ball when using it to click on specific things, especially when using the web browser.
    I love my Bold 9650 & I came from an 8330(trackball). I find the trackpad is just as precise as the trackball was though. I guess it varies to each individual on how they 'use' the trackpad.

01-14-11 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD