My trackball fell out and it is no where to be found. I have ordered a new one but it will not be here for four days. It says i have 60 new messages but i cant see any of them. is there a way to view them without it?
    02-19-08 02:50 PM
    If you have Dial from homescreen turned off on your BB, you can use shortcuts.

This is complicated, but if you follow the instructions EXACTLY as posted below, you can do all this withOUT a trackball.

Get there by pressing the green dial key.

Press Menu, press O for Options, press the ENTER key, Press the ENTER key again to open General Options.

Now, you should see halfway down the screen "Dial from Homescreen". Press ENTER until you get highlighted OVER the NO. Don't Pass it. When highlighted over the YES, press ALT and the NO will appear, press the N to highlight NO and ENTER again.

Press the back escape key (right of trackball) and SAVE should be highlighted, if not press the S for Save, and let it save.

Now you are ready for Homescreen shortcuts, where from the Homescreen, you can press M for messages, L for calendar, etc.,

Home Screen Shortcuts - BlackBerryFAQ.com

You will also want to use shortcuts with the message list, since you can't scroll up and down, some of those are listed here:
    Tips and Tricks - BlackBerryFAQ.com
    Last edited by jsanders; 02-19-08 at 03:28 PM.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    02-19-08 03:21 PM
    Thank you so so much! that is amazing...haha
    02-19-08 05:12 PM
    This is a great thread, I had no idea this existed. Thanks for the info jsanders.
    02-20-08 10:38 AM
    How did your trackball fall out? Did you do something to it or did it just fall out during normal use? How long have you had it?
    02-20-08 10:49 AM
    Does anyone know the level of difficulty or skill required to install a replacement trackball? I found the parts but want to make sure I will be able to install it once I receive them. Video links would be great
    03-12-08 05:00 PM
    A monkey could do it.

I even get mine to do the OS upgrades for me.
    03-12-08 05:10 PM
    i'm still confused how it fell out.........i know how to take it out but never really wanted to though....
    03-12-08 05:43 PM
    Wow, that's great info
    Now I know what to do, just in case
    Thanks jsanders!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-08 09:36 PM
    Great info

03-12-08 09:41 PM
    How does this apply if you have a pearl? I have the same problem with my trackball. Ordered a new one, but till then, the messages are piling up...
    07-25-08 07:11 PM
    WOW. I've been suffering without a trackball for about a month. I have to try this, hopefully it works!
    10-29-08 12:49 AM
    Hey wow it works!! Of course I have my trackball but if it ever dies or falls out.

10-29-08 10:39 AM
    Thanks so much! Mine fell out late last night and I've been freaking out. I had to order a new one online and it's gonna take forever since the post office is probably backed up with Christmas stuff, so this guide save me! My only problem is I'm a mobile Facebook junkie, does anyone know if there's a shortcut to access Facebook and/or other third party apps? The only one listed is Google Talk.
    12-12-08 01:24 PM
    My trackball locked up. Wouldn't move down. Got a new one on order. Sad part is my Curve is only 2 months old. I have seen lots of posts about trackball problems with Blackberry's. Save yourself a headache and keep one on hand.. Only around $10 or learn how to remove and clean your trackball.
    12-13-08 12:51 AM
    WOW !! Thanks for this info. I was told this could not be done without a trackball. You learn something new everyday. Great Post !! Thanks.
    12-13-08 12:58 AM
    how do you take out you track ball and clean it?
    12-13-08 07:26 AM
    This is why I keep atleast 2 spares at my house. But I didn't know you could navigate at all without a trackball good to know.

12-13-08 08:51 AM
    So my track ball is in ten pieces and the new one won't arrive for a few days. I've disabled dial from home but now I need to figure out how to actually scroll so I can navigate my messages...not just see that I have them and the first 3 words of each.
    If someone could help me I would be eternally grateful. PLEASE!!!
    06-11-09 08:58 AM
    My trackball is gone! i have 45 messages that i cant open. I have a pearl 8100 and tried to disable dial from home and cant get to options. When i push O for options, it goes to my address book!! what to do?!?
    06-29-09 07:22 AM
    So my track ball is in ten pieces and the new one won't arrive for a few days. I've disabled dial from home but now I need to figure out how to actually scroll so I can navigate my messages...not just see that I have them and the first 3 words of each.
    If someone could help me I would be eternally grateful. PLEASE!!!
    Hit "T" to go to the top of your message list, then hit "U" and it will take you to the oldest unread message. From there, hit enter and you should be able to read it. Then use "N" and "P" to navigate from message to message.

06-29-09 08:59 AM
    My trackball is gone! i have 45 messages that i cant open. I have a pearl 8100 and tried to disable dial from home and cant get to options. When i push O for options, it goes to my address book!! what to do?!?
    I honestly am not sure about the Pearl's shortcuts. Let me get my 8100 out and see if I can help you with the problem.

06-29-09 09:00 AM
    Trackball won't move right on my pearl 8100, so not able to access any applications other than first column.

Tried pressing the green phone button--->General Options. Its fine until then, but cannot find the option where it allows me change option for default home screen dialling.

Any ideas? pls help.

New trackball on the way, hope it is not something with internal sensors of the phone. running OS 4.5 if it matters!

Thanks.
    09-01-09 06:31 AM
    Yeah that's pretty awesome info~ I still need to learn how take my trackball out & clean it.

09-01-09 07:30 AM
    That is probably the most helpful solution I have ever come across for anything! thank you sooo very much!!!!
    11-17-09 07:45 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD