Which do you prefer....a phone with a touchscreen or a phone with a physical keyboard/keypad? What are the reasons for your preference?
    Last edited by Vorpal279; 11-21-09 at 04:03 PM.
    11-21-09 03:29 PM
    I'm greedy I want both..come on Dakota!!! But seriously, if I had to pick one it would be a QWERTY.
    11-21-09 03:33 PM
    i need a full qwerty. i hate touch screens because they're so uncomfortable to type on like the iphone's screen. the only touch screen i really like is the storm's and thats only because it feels like a qwerty.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 03:55 PM
    You really need to try them both and see what you like better. Different people have different tastes, this applies to the touch screen vs physical keyboard debate too.
    11-21-09 03:58 PM
    I prefer a physical keyboard, but it isn't a must for me. It's a major pro though. OS, hardware are other things that I look at too.
    11-21-09 04:46 PM
    My old Treo 650 had both and I really liked that combination. However after having left that behind years ago and using a full QWERTY for several years, I got used to the keyboard only and I don't think I can go to a touchscreen keyboard as on an iPhone.

Just an aside, the other day I tried texting someone using my wifes standard cell phone pad it WOW was it a pain! I need a full keyboard!
    11-21-09 04:51 PM
    Physical keypad. I find typing on one is much more accurate and quicker for me.
    11-21-09 04:52 PM
    Qwerty all the way for me..
    11-21-09 05:06 PM
    although im actually in the market for a new phone (thinking of waiting for the next version of the tour which is coming AFTER the holidays, but thats another thread), I actually think I'm better at typing on my storm1 than a full physical keyboard.

Reason being, since I updated to the new OS 5.0 I've noticed a dramatic increase in typing accuracy - mainly because with the adjustments to the predictive text, I'm able to type a lot faster and get what I'm trying to say the first time, MOST of the time.

There are, however, plenty of times i've been typing and the spell correct thinks I'm trying to type "are" instead of "see" and I have to go back multiple times to correct which is very aggravating. This leads me to believe that for ultimate accuracy I would be better off with a full physical keyboard, which is why I'm looking for one to replace my storm1 right now. The only question really is to see about getting a Tour now or waiting for the update whenever that comes out in a few months.

Long-winded way of saying that I prefer a physical qwerty after having a full touch for the past year.
    11-21-09 05:44 PM
    I was used to the physical keyboard until the Storm came along. After using the Storm 1 and Storm 2 I would say I am just as fast if not faster than the physical keyboard.
    11-21-09 05:52 PM
    whats a touchscreen? Love my little plastic buttons
    11-21-09 05:55 PM
    I would try both out first, but a full QWERTY would be easier even though I love my storm.
    11-21-09 07:24 PM
    Touchscreen for me. Took a while to get used to, but once I did I doubt I'll go back to physical keyboards. Sure personal preference is the deciding factor, however you have to give both options an honest run.

Incidentally, touchscreens ARE qwerty. Qwerty is they keyboard layout, not related to any physical aspect.

Sidenote: The Storm's keys are larger than models with a physical keyboard. Less mistakes for me, and I type much faster than on other models. I don't care what anybody says... Physical keyboards on any model have teeny tiny keys all crammed together.

11-21-09 08:16 PM
    Which do you prefer....a phone with a touchscreen or a phone with a physical keyboard/keypad? What are the reasons for your preference?
    No question about it: Physical keyboard. Big email and text messager here and flat-screen devices just don't cut it for me.

A shame because I think the Storm is a beautiful device.
    11-21-09 08:21 PM
    I'm greedy I want both..come on Dakota!!! But seriously, if I had to pick one it would be a QWERTY.
    I'm with them.. Touch screen gets too touchy sometimes and sucks, the QWERTY keyboard is the best..
    11-21-09 08:41 PM
    Physical keyboard all the way, had all touch screen before and it sucked, lol, had slide out and it was too much of a hassle.

11-21-09 09:45 PM
    Coming from a curve, then a bold 9000, and speaking honestly: No doubt. Having a physical keyboard is super-fast, accurate, reliable, and when it comes to using keyboard shortcuts--very convenient. Cranking out emails, sms texts, bbm messages, and pages upon pages of notes in the memo pad can be done quickly and consistently, as I was able to do using a physical keyboard.

My perspective on touch screens (as I crank out this reply from the storm2's virtual keyboard) is that, for the times when I did NOT need the keyboard, (e.g. watching a movie/documentary during a long flight, or trying to view a full version of a web site) sometimes I wished it would just "go away" temporarily so I could have that extra screen space. In short: Keyboard when I need it. Gone when I don't. That has been a big benefit for me having a touch screen bb that I don't see mentioned much.

As far as typing, it's just like learning anything else new. Once you become familiar and adjusted, cranking out emails and bbm messages (in my opinion) is not nearly as much of a challenge as some claim. With pretty well accurate predictive and auto correction features (word completion can get annoying so I shut it off), typing for me now is just as fast, and maybe even a little more fun. H@ll, sometimes I just flip into portrait suretype mode just to change things around from time to time.

BOTTOM LINE: Both physical keyboards and touch screens have their perks. It's deciding which one is more important to you for what you want to accomplish day to day, work and play.

11-22-09 06:20 AM
    I agree with vegan411, one thing about touchscreens is they DO have a bigger screen and the keyboard DOES give way to a full and considerably larger screen when web browsing and viewing video. Currently I have a curve 8330 and I do like the buttons, but I am very unsure which I like more. I have a bit of trouble typing with the touch screen, but it just means practice is needed. Plus touchscreens do so many cool things.

I think I am gonna have to say touchscreen, cause I am a big web user and touchscreens have that cool keyboard that goes away.

11-22-09 10:09 AM
    Physical keyboard for me. I had S1 and traded it in because the kb was driving me nuts. I'm a heavy texter/emailer and I was making way too many time consuming mistakes. I just got my Tour and am loving the kb on it! Even better than my 8330 keyboard!

Go to the store, spend some time, and play around with both types before you make any decisions. Good luck!
    11-22-09 01:21 PM
    Well ive used both...the storm is def great for web browsing! but as for crankin out 100's of text messages a day i much prefer my tour
    11-22-09 01:33 PM
    Qwerty, with the exception of the iPhone.

11-22-09 02:56 PM
    i was a keybad guy but to be hones touch screen aint that bad. i got a itouch and its pretty good actually.
    11-22-09 03:07 PM
    Touch screens have one very big plus over physical QWERTY: international keyboards.
    12-06-09 12:24 PM
    I had an S1 and just got a new tour. I'm not sure which one I like better. I love actually having a keyboard so I can just type and have actual keys to press (although no OS 5 for tour ) I miss how big my screen was on my storm and how easy it was to navigate through screens by touch. I couldnt get used to the keyboard on the screen. Half my message would be spelled wrong when I went back and looked at it. I'm holding on to my trusty storm just in case I feel like going back.....or maybe waiting for the day when a BB comes out with a touchscreen and a QWERTY keyboard
    12-06-09 03:12 PM
    i prefer qwerty as i need a physical feedback .
    12-06-09 11:33 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD