There haven't been any sales numbers shared for quite some time, so I thought to look at the dtek app on Google play to get an idea of downloads, and thus how many people use the app. As of this message, the number is set at 500,000. The next threshold that this will reach is 1 million, so we know that there have been more than 500,000 but less than 1 million. This would include sales of the PRIV, dtek 50, dtek 60, the keyone, and now the motion.

The main question : is this number close to people's perception of sales? How well is the Keyone doing vs. The PRIV? Open ended questions for discussion.
    11-08-17 11:24 PM
    Well, considering the fact that actual sales numbers for the Priv and KEYone haven't been disclosed, discussion will be based on educated guesses at best. Wishful thinking will likely dominate.
    11-09-17 12:06 AM
    Pre-installed apps aren't counted in Google Play download totals,

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/05...app-downloads/
    sandman10 and PantherBlitz like this.
    11-09-17 12:28 AM
    I also had a priv, a dtek60, and now a keyone, but for all 3 devices I have the same id google and so result with only one download
    11-09-17 04:43 AM
    Yeah, download numbers a bad metric to base anything on for the reasons noted.
    Bfalcon1 likes this.
    11-10-17 06:02 PM
    There haven't been any sales numbers shared for quite some time, so I thought to look at the dtek app on Google play to get an idea of downloads, and thus how many people use the app. As of this message, the number is set at 500,000. The next threshold that this will reach is 1 million, so we know that there have been more than 500,000 but less than 1 million. This would include sales of the PRIV, dtek 50, dtek 60, the keyone, and now the motion.

The main question : is this number close to people's perception of sales? How well is the Keyone doing vs. The PRIV? Open ended questions for discussion.
    That doesn't even follow. The hub on its own is in the above 1 million downloads next stop being 5. BBM is on 100 million and above. So chances are the count aint even BlackBerry phones as the apps come installed.

Feel free to pick a number.

Main point being.. Downloads aren't an accurate indication by any means for phone sales.. Just a good indication of the apps popularity.
    11-10-17 06:13 PM
    Pre-installed apps aren't counted in Google Play download totals,

https://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/05...app-downloads/
    Which means the number should be zero, unless I'm missing something.
    Ecm and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    11-10-17 09:55 PM
    Updates? Re-installs after factory resets?
    11-10-17 10:54 PM
    Updates? Re-installs after factory resets?
    It's preinstalled, so I'm not sure what method could be employed, to have it present itself as a unique install. It can't be disabled, and can only uninstall updates. A factory reset should leave it installed.
    11-10-17 11:01 PM
    I don't know if Google has ever clarified that, I assume it's users that updated their apps for the first time which also attributes it to their account. The problem in this case is it's not guaranteed that everyone will update pre-installed apps or even leave them installed/enabled.
    11-10-17 11:20 PM
    While pre-installed apps don't "count" initially, the first time they are *updated* via Google Play, they ARE counted. Otherwise, that number WOULD be zero.

Note that the Hub can be installed on non-BB devices, either via subscription or via Cobalt's hacked (pirated) version, but DTEK will only run on BB hardware.
    BigBadWulf and Ecm like this.
    11-10-17 11:21 PM
    While pre-installed apps don't "count" initially, the first time they are *updated* via Google Play, they ARE counted. Otherwise, that number WOULD be zero.

Note that the Hub can be installed on non-BB devices, either via subscription or via Cobalt's hacked (pirated) version, but DTEK will only run on BB hardware.
    Thank you!

Edit - Specific to device or play store ID?
    11-10-17 11:40 PM

Pirated isn't a nice word. Let's say "versions with suppressed ads and compatibility fixes".

Btw:
    The Play Store API in BlackBerry Manager notifies the Google Servers about the downloads. I've implemented this feature to support BlackBerry with accurate download statistics.
    11-11-17 02:14 AM
    Pirated isn't a nice word. Let's say "versions with suppressed ads and compatibility fixes".

Btw:
    The Play Store API in BlackBerry Manager notifies the Google Servers about the downloads. I've implemented this feature to support BlackBerry with accurate download statistics.
    If they then choose to purchase through play store, does it count again?
    11-11-17 06:34 AM
    Thank you!

Edit - Specific to device or play store ID?
    playstore ID
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-11-17 08:47 AM
    playstore ID
    That's what I thought. So anyone who has owned all 5 GooBerry, have been counted as 1. We might as well be playing...

Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-11-17 08:53 AM
    That's what I thought. So anyone who has owned all 5 GooBerry, have been counted as 1. We might as well be playing...

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...62a1feb7ad41-c
    CB in a nutshell!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-11-17 09:00 AM
    CB in a nutshell!
    Exactly!
    11-11-17 09:02 AM
    I have seen the error of my ways! it looks like there is no real way to know unless the numbers unless they are shared. maybe John Chen will be willing to release priv and dtek numbers now that those devices are no longer being made
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    11-11-17 09:09 AM
    I have seen the error of my ways! it looks like there is no real way to know unless the numbers unless they are shared. maybe John Chen will be willing to release priv and dtek numbers now that those devices are no longer being made
    There's no real point in BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile releasing sales numbers. They wouldn't be high enough to cause enthusiasm from fans, and would only serve as fodder for haters. Guessing keeps everyone happy
    11-11-17 09:43 AM
    I know. Though it's technically true, there's no doubt in my mind that your hat is bright white, and you're doing it for the benefit of the community.
    11-11-17 10:28 AM

Btw:
    May be supporting download statistics but still taking away from potential revenue from subscriptions though. I'm sure they would prefer the latter.
    11-11-17 10:40 AM
    playstore ID
    I'm not sure about that. The Play Store API sends the unique Android ID of the device with every download request. Also the logging needs that ID. I assume that the downloads are tracked based on the ID. 5 different devices with the same Google account = 5 downloads.
    11-11-17 10:58 AM
    May be supporting download statistics but still taking away from potential revenue from subscriptions though. I'm sure they would prefer the latter.
    True, but it's not like BlackBerry isn't aware of it. The Hub+ guys are posting in the same CB forum that Cobalt's thread is running in.

Besides, I don't think the BlackBerry Keyboard for non-BlackBerry devices is offered through the subscription version, unless something has changed.
    11-11-17 11:11 AM
    True, but it's not like BlackBerry isn't aware of it. The Hub+ guys are posting in the same CB forum that Cobalt's thread is running in.

Besides, I don't think the BlackBerry Keyboard for non-BlackBerry devices is offered through the subscription version, unless something has changed.
    No keyboard is not but this method allows for all apps to be put on a device without payment.
    11-11-17 11:14 AM
36 12