Today in Toronto it's "Bike To Work Day" and in celebration last Tuesday (May 20) the City of Toronto released a new app for cyclists in the Greater Toronto Area - Toronto Cycling - an initiative to "enable cyclists to contribute to the future of cycling infrastructure in Toronto".

The app will "allow cyclists to record their cycling routes and provide this data to the City. The data will be part of the toolkit used to help inform the City's data collection and analysis when developing new cycling network plans. Toronto is beginning work on a new Cycling Plan that will expand on the City's existing 570 kilometre cycling network. This new Cycling Plan will be presented to Toronto City Council in 2015."

Wow, that sounds fantastic. Two of my closest friends are avid cyclists in the GTA, I can't wait to let them know about this new initiative so they can download it on their BlackBerry Z10s and help the city plan future cycling routes with greater precision!

Oh. It's only available on Android and iOS. Well, that's certainly a bit of a letdown. My friends are homeowners in the greater GTA and pay their share of municipal taxes. Taxes that likely went into the funding of this app for Android and iOS?

Wait, I just looked at the FAQ and it says "Blackberries which are able to host android apps may use this software?" Hooray! It's not a native BlackBerry 10 app, but at least we'll be able to access it through
    BlackBerry's Android Runtime and contribute!

Hmmm. I downloaded and installed the app and when I click "Maps" in the application it tells me "This app won't run without Google Play Services, which are missing from your phone." Okay, so I tap on "Get Google Play Services" and...

"Unfortunately, Toronto Cycling has stopped".

Bummer. Guess it isn't available to "BlackBerries" after all. Shame.

But all is not lost. You can provide feedback to the developer and the City of Toronto regarding this great new initiative to improve city gridlock and traffic safety overall. Please let them know that their app does not work on BlackBerry, and - if you're an avid BlackBerry toting cyclist in Toronto - that you really wish it would.

City of Toronto
    Sibel Sarper
    Assistant Planner
    Cycling Infrastructure and Programs
    Tel: 416-392-4732
    TWITTER: @TorontoComms

Toronto Cycling App Developer
    Brisk Synergies
    WATERLOO, Ontario
    Brisk Synergies

Open Streets Toronto (Volunteer Pro-Cycling Initiative)
    openstreetsto
    TWITTER: @OpenStreetsTO

NOTE: If you're going to contact the City of Toronto and/or the developers, please be kind and courteous. Let's not give them a bad impression of BlackBerry users!

Posted via CB10
    Bungalow_Bill likes this.
    05-26-14 03:57 PM
    This is an important cause. Everyone in Toronto who has a BlackBerry and rides a bike should be outraged.
    05-26-14 07:09 PM
    Agreed. This is important. Let's see if this changes. I remember reading one write up on this app and the author got my blood boiling by saying something to the effect of "sorry BlackBerry no one likes you anymore" when speaking of the app not being available for BlackBerry . I was going to write a nasty comment but figured that wouldn't have helped the cause.

From my z30
    05-26-14 09:54 PM
    Tweeted respectfully!

From my z30
    05-26-14 10:04 PM
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a cycling app. What apps are you using ?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 03:01 PM
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a cycling app. What apps are you using ?

Posted via CB10
    MapMyRide on my Android, cause 5 of the 5 I downloaded from Amazon crashed horribly.
    06-21-14 03:19 PM
    I am not from Toronto but didn't I read an article saying there are more BlackBerry than iPhone purchased in Toronto in the last quarter? Shame on you Toronto.

posted via CB10 using my awesome Z10 keyboard
    06-21-14 05:18 PM
    I am not from Toronto but didn't I read an article saying there are more BlackBerry than iPhone purchased in Toronto in the last quarter? Shame on you Toronto.

Yea... but apparently not enough to develop an app...

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 05:27 PM
    Then how come they made an app for iPhone? Pathetic T.O.

07-06-14 12:40 AM
    Then how come they made an app for iPhone? Pathetic T.O.

I have no clue where that stat came from, but there are WAY more iPhone than BlackBerry here in t.o

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 03:26 AM
    Try this app.

GPSLogger II - The free AIO GPS solution - BlackBerry World

Works well and the developer recently put a lot of effort into it. I know this thread is about the city of Toronto app but here is a really nice alternative!
    07-06-14 06:17 AM