I'll admit I am totally green when it comes to wifi and non-wifi. Can someone please explain when to use it and when not to.

Also my data plan is 500mb, will using wifi "not" go against my data usage?

Thanks appreciate it!
    11-26-10 08:43 AM
    I connect to Wi-Fi as often as possible, the browser speed is great and uses less battery. It takes more battery to pull data over 3G. When connected to Wi-Fi it's free data and will not go against your data plan...
    11-26-10 08:46 AM
    What a great, quick response. Although I've been a BB user for years, this is my first 3G/Wifi berry.

Thanks so much!!
    11-26-10 08:57 AM
    Be careful...some apps require a Mobile Network to run regardless of whether or not you are on Wi-Fi. I think some Google apps are an example of this.
    For the most part you should be fine most of the time you are on WiFi.
    11-26-10 10:04 AM
    Browsing tends to be quicker on wi-fi and does not go towards your data usage.
    11-26-10 10:22 AM
    I agree - use wifi whenever possible. Faster browsing and easier on the battery. And does not count towards your data usage.

Google Maps and Google Talk can use Wifi, don't know about their other apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-10 04:48 PM
    I agree - use wifi whenever possible. Faster browsing and easier on the battery. And does not count towards your data usage.

Google Maps and Google Talk can use Wifi, don't know about their other apps.

No it doesn't. Disable your mobile network and try it with WiFi enabled.
    11-26-10 05:13 PM
    No it doesn't. Disable your mobile network and try it with WiFi enabled.
    Location services requires 3G/mobile connection. Map data is downloaded via Wifi (tested with proxy).
    11-26-10 05:57 PM
    Location services requires 3G/mobile connection. Map data is downloaded via Wifi (tested with proxy).
    Does Google Maps work on a Torch using WiFi, Mobile Network disabled, without the use of a proxy?
    I wanted to let the OP know that even if on WiFi sometimes some apps will use the mobile network in the background which will still use your data plan an incure data charges.
    11-26-10 06:25 PM
    What a great, quick response. Although I've been a BB user for years, this is my first 3G/Wifi berry.
    A couple "FYI's" for ya:

As long as you have Wi-Fi enabled, your BB will default to Wi-Fi when you're within range of a saved network. So you don't need to remember to decide you're on Wi-Fi after the first time you connect to a particular router.

If you want to know if you're on Wi-Fi, with BB6 and the BB6 stock theme, you have a couple indicators. First is that the Wi-Fi indicator (the icon that looks like an ice cream cone made of 4 waves) turns from grey to white. Secondly, the 4-dot BB logo will move from beside the 3G and appear next to the Wi-Fi indicator.
    Regardless of theme, you can open Manage Connections and select the last item, Service Status. If it says Wi-Fi for BIS & BES, then you're using Wi-Fi.
    11-26-10 06:48 PM
    I have just recently began using wifi on my torch and I like it a lot. The web experience is so much better

12-19-10 01:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD