The GPS function on my Torch doesn't work. I got the phone as a Christmas gift (brand new from Telus), but the GPS has never worked! I have gone through all the settings and have everything enabled and still it does not work. When I go through Google Maps or Poynt, I always receive the same message stating that GPS could not be located.

I have called Telus and their IT can't find the issue, and I have surfed the net and could not find an answer. I know it can't be the device, because at one point, for a few hours, the GPS worked. I can't remember what I had done though.

I have wiped the phone, done hard resets, factory resets, you name it. About an hour ago I decided to up the FW to see if that was the issue, and it still doesn't work! The FW I installed is 6.0.0.450.

Any ideas or solutions

Cheers,
    03-06-11 01:38 PM
    If you are outside and the GPS still can't get a lock. Try it with the Blackberry Maps if you still have it. It might be a hardware issue. Can Telus to Find out how Telus deals with warranty repairs or replacements.
    03-06-11 01:51 PM
    The GPS function on my Torch doesn't work. I got the phone as a Christmas gift (brand new from Telus), but the GPS has never worked! I have gone through all the settings and have everything enabled and still it does not work. When I go through Google Maps or Poynt, I always receive the same message stating that GPS could not be located.

I have called Telus and their IT can't find the issue, and I have surfed the net and could not find an answer. I know it can't be the device, because at one point, for a few hours, the GPS worked. I can't remember what I had done though.

I have wiped the phone, done hard resets, factory resets, you name it. About an hour ago I decided to up the FW to see if that was the issue, and it still doesn't work! The FW I installed is 6.0.0.450.

Any ideas or solutions

Cheers,

if you have had a GPS connection at one point or another, then chances are you are getting poor reception. Keep in mind the GPS is not as accurate/strong as it would be on an actual GPS navigation unit (garmin, tomtom, etc...)

If you are trying to get a GPS signal lock indoors, chances are, you won't. Other things like weather etc... could have an affect... Best way to test it is to go outside, on a sunny day, and give it a shot... if it still can't find a signal, then chances are your bb is defective..

as aznlgcy mentioned, i have found on the torch, and my curve, it is easier to get a GPS lock in the native bb maps app. once you get this, then go into google maps, and it should take the signal from there...

good luck,
    03-15-11 08:03 PM
    The cellular location should kick in indoors though.. It's not as accurate but if you don't get any lock at any time, something is seriously wrong.
    03-15-11 08:29 PM
    I had this same problem. Then once when I was out of town, I tried it and it worked, ever since then, it has been working. But only if I'm outside like, on the road.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-11 08:46 PM
    I have the same issue - only works outside (if it does)... Its annoying because my Storm2 did not have this issue and this is an "upgrade" - same carrier/apps

03-16-11 03:05 PM
    I have the same issue - only works outside (if it does)... Its annoying because my Storm2 did not have this issue and this is an "upgrade" - same carrier/apps

what everyone must remember, is that if you want to have accurate GPS, with turn by turn navigation, POI's, and fantastic reception - Buy a GPS nav unit...

while it sometimes works on the bb's, and occationally doesn't, keep in mind, when it comes down to it, a blackberry is just a blackberry, it was designed for email, text, phone, occational web browsing
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    03-16-11 03:13 PM

what everyone must remember, is that if you want to have accurate GPS, with turn by turn navigation, POI's, and fantastic reception - Buy a GPS nav unit...

while it sometimes works on the bb's, and occationally doesn't, keep in mind, when it comes down to it, a blackberry is just a blackberry, it was designed for email, text, phone, occational web browsing
    GPS even on a stand alone unit(such as a Garmin) still only work while not inside a building. My BB even my older BB's all work perfect for turn by turn directions or simply just locating the device, even sometimes better then my Garmin. GPS is still GPS regardless of whether its a stand alone unit or built within the mobile device. GPS is only as accurate as the satellites it receives information from, hence if it doesn't receive accurate info then it won't work very well. If it didn't work why would they even include it in the device? It would be rather pointless to have a piece of technology built into a device that only partially works.
    Last edited by homer1475; 03-16-11 at 03:38 PM.
    tbrenn likes this.
    03-16-11 03:35 PM
    GPS even on a stand alone unit(such as a Garmin) still only work while not inside a building. My BB even my older BB's all work perfect for turn by turn directions or simply just locating the device, even sometimes better then my Garmin. GPS is still GPS regardless of whether its a stand alone unit or built within the mobile device. GPS is only as accurate as the satellites it receives information from, hence if it doesn't receive accurate info then it won't work very well. If it didn't work why would they even include it in the device? It would be rather pointless to have a piece of technology built into a device that only partially works.
    very true indeed...
    03-16-11 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD