I just got done thinking about Apple and Android phones are pretty much one in the same, well they way they work. Both are Linux based with a Kernel at th base of the coding. That is why we root or Jail Break the devices to gain SU access.

With that being said those two OS's are extremely similar in fit/form/function.

but you cannot run iOS applications on Android, nor can you run Android Applications on iOS.

So why would you think that Android would run on QNX... With the security threats that are RUMORED in Android, what grounds do you have to stand on that would imply that ANY Thing android would run on a top notch security device like a Blackberry?

Wouldn't that defeat the whole idea of the RIM's "Fort Knox" of the Cell phone world......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    is Apple RUN on Linux? or BSD? I would think it has a BSD core like OSX I couldn't see them moving half the products to a linux kernel and the other half BSD,

That is ONE way the apps would not be portable, ALSO Apple does things it's own way, it runs things it's own way, Apple uses ObjectiveC for apps, Android uses Java, RIM uses Java,

assuming QNX is more related to Linux than BSD, and can emulate Linux commands, and both front ends are written in Java, which for the most part is a platform independent language the porting of apps over from Android to RIM, with a emulation layer, would be relatively easy.
    10-15-10 10:01 AM
    is Apple RUN on Linux? or BSD? I would think it has a BSD core like OSX I couldn't see them moving half the products to a linux kernel and the other half BSD,

That is ONE way the apps would not be portable, ALSO Apple does things it's own way, it runs things it's own way, Apple uses ObjectiveC for apps, Android uses Java, RIM uses Java,

assuming QNX is more related to Linux than BSD, and can emulate Linux commands, and both front ends are written in Java, which for the most part is a platform independent language the porting of apps over from Android to RIM, with a emulation layer, would be relatively easy.
    BSD <> Kernel ... it's the same basic ideas and foundations.

10-15-10 10:27 AM
    BSD <> Kernel ... it's the same basic ideas and foundations.

So is Spanish and French.....
    10-15-10 08:59 PM
    More like Spanish and Italian.
    10-15-10 09:07 PM
    I find it funny how 67Tucker is dogging somebody on posting through wap using a blackberry and a droid user turns around and posts using wap as well.
    10-15-10 09:14 PM
    Why post any way except for wap? I don't get the attraction of seeing the ads. Its not like your really missing much else.

10-15-10 09:30 PM
    Ehm guys, I think we're getting a bit off track here.... :P

10-16-10 12:53 AM
    Why post any way except for wap? I don't get the attraction of seeing the ads. Its not like your really missing much else.

You also can't see the results or participate in polls either.
    10-16-10 06:15 AM
    You also can't see the results or participate in polls either.
    so 1 in 200 posts, damn!
    10-16-10 06:30 AM
    On wap, you also can't see folks' sometimes funny avatars, their device/carrier info nor signatures. It may be small things, but it is interesting to see at times.

How much faster is wap? It takes mere seconds to load the full site when I'm in a decent signal area. I guess I don't see where an extra second or two faster would be such a huge advantage. I guess I could see it if you weren't on an unlimited data plan and had to conserve the data.
    10-16-10 06:42 AM
    Just used the wap page, and it was about 4 seconds quicker to load/render than the full html page, which is just so much nicer to look at.

10-16-10 06:45 AM
    I guess I don't see where an extra second or two faster would be such a huge advantage. I guess I could see it if you weren't on an unlimited data plan and had to conserve the data.
    There is no advantage to wap sites if you have a "real" browser. Blackberry browsers, on the other hand, are worthless on anything but a wap site. With the Torch browser being the exception, to an extent. I look at websites like magazines. Who would buy magazines if they weren't filled with the nice, full color, pictures. Unless you actually do read Playboy for the articles!
    10-16-10 07:01 AM
    There is no advantage to wap sites if you have a "real" browser. Blackberry browsers, on the other hand, are worthless on anything but a wap site. With the Torch browser being the exception, to an extent. I look at websites like magazines. Who would buy magazines if they weren't filled with the nice, full color, pictures. Unless you actually do read Playboy for the articles!

you seem to think everyone is you..

HUGE advantages of saving time if you are in weak signal areas getting far less than 3G speeds
    HUGE advantages if you pay by the MB whilst traveling
    moderate advantages if you live outside the USA where unlimited dataplans don't exist

Now I do agree the BB browser sucks on non wap pages, and even my torch doesn't render some feature rich pages well, but if they have a wap option I pick it,

When I am in hotels (15-20days per month) WAP sites on the PC can mean as much as 2-3 MINUTES!!! faster load times, during peak hours, they have a use for the person that actually NEEDS to be mobile,

Keep in mind I am not saying the BB browser is as good as Android or iphone, that is a stupid argument, my argument is purely that the BB browser is more than good enough for daily use, and that there are reasons to use WAP sites.
    10-16-10 07:09 AM
    Just used the wap page, and it was about 4 seconds quicker to load/render than the full html page, which is just so much nicer to look at.

That is subjective, it depends on the content you are after,

WAP is like a middle ground between RSS, and full html, I have a lot of content I would like to read that I can't get via RSS, but could care less about the added content that I am told I should want, I need the txt body, and I want to read it quickly
    10-16-10 07:11 AM
    I never said they were one in the same. They operate in extremely similar fashions. Now granted i know very little about apple. Only that I have to use WINE to get my ipod to sync with itunes.

10-16-10 07:12 AM
    I still would much rather load it with wap. I don't give a **** what your signature says or what your avatar looks like. I post on some forums that are so filled with ads its pathetic. I dunno I guess if I had a addroid I'd be accustomed to staring at ads all the time. I do know one thing. I've seen a lot of people on the android forums with their super browser that still post with wap.

10-16-10 07:16 AM
    I never said they were one in the same. They operate in extremely similar fashions. Now granted i know very little about apple. Only that I have to use WINE to get my ipod to sync with itunes.

French and Spanish operate in very similar fashions as well, they follow the same grammatical rules, and are not to translate between

but they are still different enough you can't call them the same, that is Linux and BSD,

SURE they both branch form classic unix but they have long since changed and evolved and have gotten further apart.
    10-16-10 07:40 AM
    GUYS, THIS NOT HELPING ME ONE BIT!!!!!

(sorry about the yelling...)
    10-16-10 08:08 AM
    GUYS, THIS NOT HELPING ME ONE BIT!!!!!

(sorry about the yelling...)
    Have you been to a corporate store (for your chosen carrier, since corporate stores generally have activated phones to try vs non corp stores that can turn them on but not let you try any features/the browser, etc) yet to try some out? Do that. Every few days if practical spend an hour or so getting familiar with the devices you're interested in. Maybe try to pick a time of day they're not super-busy so folks aren't getting in your way.

What devices have you tried in person so far? What did you like/dislike about them?
    10-16-10 08:15 AM
    1)Tucker, you are such a homer...must come in your ole age.

2)Who gives a flying F-bomb who uses WAP! I mean cereal....

3)Listen to the sandman. He may be an andriod supporter, but he gives honest reviews, opinions and facts without coming off like Captian egotistical Tucker...

4)I wish I was in your shoes to decide what phone I want. Really diggin' that new G2! Love my 9700, but UMA is on the G2, which is something I need.

5)Good luck!

10-16-10 09:51 AM

What devices have you tried in person so far? What did you like/dislike about them?
    Now you've done it, I'm gonna list all of the phones I've had in the last year....

Here goes:

iPhone 3gs
    BB9700
    Google Nexus One
    BB 9700
    Nokia N900
    SE X10i
    SE X10 mini pro
    HTC HD2
    BB 9700

Now I know what I liked and disliked with all of them but writing it all down would take to much time....

Damn, looking over that list makes me think I'm a bit of a gadget freak.....
    10-16-10 10:38 AM
    Now you've done it, I'm gonna list all of the phones I've had in the last year....

Here goes:

iPhone 3gs
    BB9700
    Google Nexus One
    BB 9700
    Nokia N900
    SE X10i
    SE X10 mini pro
    HTC HD2
    BB 9700

Now I know what I liked and disliked with all of them but writing it all down would take to much time....

Damn, looking over that list makes me think I'm a bit of a gadget freak.....
    No offense, but I think the BB is your dream phone, since you do go back to it so much.

Edited to add:

How did you afford all of those different devices, and are they hiring there? lol
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-16-10 at 11:02 AM.
    10-16-10 10:46 AM
    BlackBerry is like the dependable girlfriend that you keep going back to... Even if the other girls were way hotter, there's just that "something" that keeps bringing you back.

Eh, its Sweetest Day.
    lmao
    10-16-10 10:54 AM
    1)Tucker, you are such a homer...must come in your ole age.

2)Who gives a flying F-bomb who uses WAP! I mean cereal....

3)Listen to the sandman. He may be an andriod supporter, but he gives honest reviews, opinions and facts without coming off like Captian egotistical Tucker...

4)I wish I was in your shoes to decide what phone I want. Really diggin' that new G2! Love my 9700, but UMA is on the G2, which is something I need.

5)Good luck!

Thanks Bro!

Posted from a real phone with a real web browser at the real crackberry.com.
    10-16-10 11:40 AM
    No offense, but I think the BB is your dream phone, since you do go back to it so much.

Edited to add:

How did you afford all of those different devices, and are they hiring there? lol
    I keep indeed getting back to BB but there are also reasons why I leave every time (as stated in original post). That's why I wondered if the Torch finally bridged the gap when it comes to browsing etc etc.

About the costs: I spend a f*ck load of money on it but I also always sell my 'old' phones so that helps a bit. As for the hiring; I have my own company in The Netherlands, you interested ?
    10-16-10 01:10 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD