Boys and girls, I need help...

As I can renew my subscription and get a shiny new phone in two weeks I've been searching the interweb for a suitable candidate. For years now I've been switching from BB to Android to Apple to Windows and back again. Some how I always seemed to be getting back to BB (now rocking my 3rd 9700, I do switch a lot I tell you..)

I love the BB in every day life because it "just works" for lack of a better explanation. However when I search the web, want to play a game, want to spice it up with a new theme, want to install the latest applications all the other 'cool' kids have......... I brake down and cry

On the other hand; all the non BB phones I have used can do all these things but SUCK BALLS when it comes to typing, emailing, messaging, battery life and all the other good BB stuff.

Now HTC is introducing the Desire Z which has a qwerty keyboard and Android 2.2 For as far as operating systems go, I think Android is really cool and the best one out there.

So, I think my question is this; does the Torch close the gap with Android phones when you think of all the possibilities that Android offers? I know the keyboard will never be as good as a BB but I think I can make do...

Is the Torch more smart phone than we have seen so far from RIM or is this one also gonna make me cry when browsing, gaming etc etc

Please, gimme comments!

Regards,

jer0en72
    Last edited by jer0en72; 10-15-10 at 02:36 AM.
    10-14-10 01:29 PM
    I don't own a Torch, but I have owned an iPhone and a couple of Android devices and from what you have described that your needs are, I would say that the iPhone 4 is probably the best device for you. The typing/messaging experience on the iPhone isn't as good as on a BB, but it is still better than the Android messaging system. Games, web browser, and apps are the best in the business. So the Torch just may frustrate you. I own a BB because the opposite is true for me. I don't need all of the other multimedia stuff. I like messaging, good battery life, intuitive PIM functions, and keyboard shortcuts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-10 01:41 PM
    Hey there,

I switch a lot too, from BlackBerry to Blackberry though, as I always want to have the best and newest... Anyways, I think you'll be very happy if you go Torch. I loved my Bold 9700, it was PERFECT, minus the web browsing, and I didn't really do games on my BlackBerry, I HAD an iPod Touch for that... Then I got the Torch, because it was the new thing from RIM and I'll freely admit I'm a borderline fanboy. Anyways, after almost two months, the phone has changed me. I still have all the things I liked about BlackBerry (similar to what you wrote about: battery life, typing, emails, etc...) but now I have the complete device. I for the first time have games and music on my BlackBerry. I even ditched the iPod Touch when I plugged in my Torch to my MacBook to do a weekly backup and the computer asked if I'd like to import any itunes playlists, complete with songs I purchased though itunes... With that I had no need for two devices! But, don't take just my word for it, it could suck and I'd still love it...

I do admit I was hesitant about the switch but I have since given my Bold 9700 away to my sister who was using an old version Curve (still) and my iPod Touch has been relegated to staying in the gym bag, only for use during workouts (as that and when I'm giving flight instruction, are the only two times I am without my BlackBerry). So I really believe if you go with the Torch you will be happy, the UI looks similar in ways, but the OS is improved so much that I even said "Wow" at points... But like I said, don't take just my word for it!
    10-14-10 01:43 PM
    Thanks for the replies so far. Nice to see two different views on my 'problem'. I will not go for the iPhone however. I've used them all except for the 4g and it always sent me back running to the BB when I tried to type an email or something else..

Don't get me wrong but my view of the iphone is the following; an outstanding multimedia device but as business device (or phone for that matter) it is rubbish...
    10-14-10 02:03 PM
    Quite honestly, once you said the blackberry "just works" for you, that's where I said you might as well just stick with a BB. You're going to eventually want to go back. Get the Torch.
    10-14-10 02:06 PM
    Quite honestly, once you said the blackberry "just works" for you, that's where I said you might as well just stick with a BB. You're going to eventually want to go back. Get the Torch.
    to go along with this comment....

I am proudly rocking an Android and would recommend one to nearly everyone. But you said that you have moved from Blackberry and came back a few times. With that being said, save you some time and hassle and just get the Torch. I do not think Blackberry will ever been the same Applications Market or Browser game as Android and Apple. but i do think they are slightly in the front runners when it comes to messaging phones.
    10-14-10 02:11 PM

I do not think Blackberry will ever been the same Applications Market or Browser game as Android and Apple. but i do think they are slightly in the front runners when it comes to messaging phones.
    BlackBerry might be the same in the app department a lot sooner then you think. It was announced today that one of RIM's goals for the new QNX OS is to be able to run android apps. Not ports of those apps, But run them as they are right now with no modifications to the apps themselves. Rumor has it RIM is doing the very best they can to make that a reality.

Analysts seem to think the first QNX BB phones will be coming the first half of 2011. Sure none of that helps the OP now. But it does sound very nice for the future of BB.
    10-14-10 04:16 PM

I am proudly rocking an Android and would recommend one to nearly everyone. But you said that you have moved from Blackberry and came back a few times. With that being said, save you some time and hassle and just get the Torch. I do not think Blackberry will ever been the same Applications Market or Browser game as Android and Apple. but i do think they are slightly in the front runners when it comes to messaging phones.
    I am very very happy with the Torch!
    As a BB user the torch improves so much, still a lot to improve, I must comment though, the Torch browser is leaps and bounds above other BB browsers, it isn't iPhone or Android, but I think that is largely due to hardware not software, RIM might not pass them, but they are much much closer, and the reviewers giving the torch such bad reviews didn't give it enough time. This is a fantastic phone, and does excellent web browsing

IF you don't NEED apps, and love your bold, get the Torch, if you want apps! Want to play with them, and you don't care about bbm, and you don't mind learning a new keyboard feel get the Android.

10-14-10 06:32 PM
    I just like how my blackberry 9300 can rock all the things i need such as music, web browsing, bbm, threaded texts, push email and etc. I tell you, I've never drained a battery that quickly ever before when i had a basic cell phone, which means that I'm always on top in terms of browsing, instant messaging, texting and web surfing. I wouldn't see myself typing all day on the iphone due to it's hideous touch screen keyboard because i NEED tactical feedback.

I'm just going to say, if you're not that huge on games and eye candy, then I wouldn't bother going for the android. Yes it may be much faster in terms of web browsing, but I don't imagine it's battery life to EVER be on par with the blackberry's. I also love the push email and the multitasking on the blackberry.

Well those are my 2 cents. Hope this helps
    10-14-10 08:05 PM
    It really all depends on WHICH Android device you're looking at. Not all of them are created equal.

For the most part, the Torch measures up quite well. Big enough screen to watch videos, and a comparable browser to Android(and depending on the phone it actually loads and renders faster than some Android devices). The only thing is that there are less apps. And there are less good FREE apps. But to be honest, I have about 25-30 more apps than I ever had on my old Curve. (Memory size plays a huge part in this, and also being about to bill things to my carrier through App World) So, you'll have *some* apps.

10-14-10 09:09 PM
    It really all depends on WHICH Android device you're looking at. Not all of them are created equal.

For the most part, the Torch measures up quite well. Big enough screen to watch videos, and a comparable browser to Android(and depending on the phone it actually loads and renders faster than some Android devices). The only thing is that there are less apps. And there are less good FREE apps. But to be honest, I have about 25-30 more apps than I ever had on my old Curve. (Memory size plays a huge part in this, and also being about to bill things to my carrier through App World) So, you'll have *some* apps.

For the most part, no it doesn't. The browser still trails Android (you say that it depends on the Android device, well compare the Torch with the top of the line Droids and it fails.) The apps on Blackberry pale in comparison. The Torch is literally running a two year old processor, and in no way compares to any of the top of the line Androids.
    10-14-10 09:35 PM

It may load/render webpages faster than entry level android devices, but comparing premium BB (which the Torch is being marketed as and at a premium price) to a premium android device, there is still a fair performance gap between the two. Granted, the Torch seems to be the closest BB they've made yet, but still falls short of the performance of the high end androids. The BB browser still doesn't support flash, but Froyo (android 2.2) has flash 10.1 built in.

The only hardware spec the Torch wins at may be battery life and I've gotten similar battery life with my Droid 2 that I got with my Tour. Maybe a hair less but that's because I can't put it down.
    10-14-10 09:50 PM
    Get a torch you will love it and never want to put it down. by the way I'm posting this reply on my torch

10-14-10 09:51 PM
    Get a torch you will love it and never want to put it down. by the way I'm posting this reply on my torch

Are you kidding? With the Torch's superior browser, you're still posting from wap sites?
    10-14-10 10:05 PM
    Are you kidding? With the Torch's superior browser, you're still posting from wap sites?
    I found that interesting as well. I haven't used a wap page since I switched to android, and I only post here from my mobile...

I will say though that if you keep going back to BB, that perhaps it really is the platform for you. Get thee to a corporate store for your carrier (since those usually have activated devices, which obviously will be the only way to honestly compare them) and do some side by side comparisons between all the potential candidates and see what you can live with/what your dealbreakers are.
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 10-14-10 at 10:22 PM.
    10-14-10 10:16 PM
    BlackBerry might be the same in the app department a lot sooner then you think. It was announced today that one of RIM's goals for the new QNX OS is to be able to run android apps. Not ports of those apps, But run them as they are right now with no modifications to the apps themselves. Rumor has it RIM is doing the very best they can to make that a reality.

Analysts seem to think the first QNX BB phones will be coming the first half of 2011. Sure none of that helps the OP now. But it does sound very nice for the future of BB.
    Wow for real?? That's a freaking awesome rumor if true... I'm in the same dilemma as the OP. I adore my BB for the email and messaging but the lack of apps is so disappointing. The big difference between me and the OP is I have to wait until July '11. If BB is still the messaging and email powerhouse combined with the Android App market these will be, without a doubt, the best phones on the market. And I will mever leave BB as my phone of choice.

10-15-10 01:16 AM
    It may load/render webpages faster than entry level android devices, but comparing premium BB (which the Torch is being marketed as and at a premium price) to a premium android device, there is still a fair performance gap between the two. Granted, the Torch seems to be the closest BB they've made yet, but still falls short of the performance of the high end androids. The BB browser still doesn't support flash, but Froyo (android 2.2) has flash 10.1 built in.

The only hardware spec the Torch wins at may be battery life and I've gotten similar battery life with my Droid 2 that I got with my Tour. Maybe a hair less but that's because I can't put it down.
    if i go into ATT and i can get a torch for 199.00, or i can go to T-Mobile and get a G2 for 199.00, or Verzion and get any number of androids for 199.00....

for the price point which one do you do you think i will get the better browser... It's not about high-end low-end in todays markets. It's about price points. If you are will to spend 200$ you will get the better phone. and if you are in the browser market... the torch will not cut it...

10-15-10 07:29 AM
    Wow for real?? That's a freaking awesome rumor if true... I'm in the same dilemma as the OP. I adore my BB for the email and messaging but the lack of apps is so disappointing. The big difference between me and the OP is I have to wait until July '11. If BB is still the messaging and email powerhouse combined with the Android App market these will be, without a doubt, the best phones on the market. And I will mever leave BB as my phone of choice.

rewd... i wouldn't plan it..... infact i'd plan on that never happening.

10-15-10 07:30 AM
    rewd... i wouldn't plan it..... infact i'd plan on that never happening.

Why? QNX will run all current BlackBerry apps through virtualization why not do the same for android apps? Last I checked android was supposedly open source correct? Pretty sure RIM has as much right to use its codes as anyone else.

You can ignore the facts if you want. But the facts are RIM wants to poach android apps and a lot of people see absolutely no reason why they won't be able to do that. Do you remember back in the day when people thought the BlackBerry tablet was running an android Os? Well it wasn't obviously. But maybe it was running a android emulator.

10-15-10 08:08 AM
    Why? QNX will run all current BlackBerry apps through virtualization why not do the same for android apps? Last I checked android was supposedly open source correct? Pretty sure RIM has as much right to use its codes as anyone else.

You can ignore the facts if you want. But the facts are RIM wants to poach android apps and a lot of people see absolutely no reason why they won't be able to do that. Do you remember back in the day when people thought the BlackBerry tablet was running an android Os? Well it wasn't obviously. But maybe it was running a android emulator.

Android OS is Open Source. Not the Applications. Developers still hold the rights to their codings. Running and emulator is a different ball game.

10-15-10 08:25 AM
    Every report I've read about QNX going back from the time RIM bought QNX has hinted towards it running android apps. I've yet to see anywhere someone say it couldn't be done. Who knows what will happen. But people in industry really think QNX will run android apps.

Also if I made a android app I would beg and plead for it RIM to do 100% of the work to bring my product to more customers. Do you really think any app developer is going to be upset with RIM making them more money? Not that it would violate the app developers copyrights in the first place. The creator of QNX said they are going for what allows the apps to run on android. Not the apps themselves. RIM wouldn't be doing anything with those apps. Just giving them a place to run on the QNX Os.

Again all of this is from people close to RIM and QNX. If it will happen? I don't know. I just know they are determined to make it happen. If it were to become a reality I'd see no reason at all to own an android. Except maybe the cute little mascot guy.

10-15-10 08:54 AM
    I just got done thinking about Apple and Android phones are pretty much one in the same, well they way they work. Both are Linux based with a Kernel at th base of the coding. That is why we root or Jail Break the devices to gain SU access.

With that being said those two OS's are extremely similar in fit/form/function.

but you cannot run iOS applications on Android, nor can you run Android Applications on iOS.

So why would you think that Android would run on QNX... With the security threats that are RUMORED in Android, what grounds do you have to stand on that would imply that ANY Thing android would run on a top notch security device like a Blackberry?

Wouldn't that defeat the whole idea of the RIM's "Fort Knox" of the Cell phone world......

10-15-10 09:24 AM
    Every report I've read about QNX going back from the time RIM bought QNX has hinted towards it running android apps. I've yet to see anywhere someone say it couldn't be done. Who knows what will happen. But people in industry really think QNX will run android apps.

Also if I made a android app I would beg and plead for it RIM to do 100% of the work to bring my product to more customers. Do you really think any app developer is going to be upset with RIM making them more money? Not that it would violate the app developers copyrights in the first place. The creator of QNX said they are going for what allows the apps to run on android. Not the apps themselves. RIM wouldn't be doing anything with those apps. Just giving them a place to run on the QNX Os.

Again all of this is from people close to RIM and QNX. If it will happen? I don't know. I just know they are determined to make it happen. If it were to become a reality I'd see no reason at all to own an android. Except maybe the cute little mascot guy.

by your previous intentions of "open source" you came across as "we can download the source and make it work".... I have no problem with developers creating applications and protocol on any platform and porting them to any other platform. But you will not be able to download Angry Birds and port it to QNX then claim you did it.... and reap the revenue for it... that will be left to the developers.

10-15-10 09:27 AM
    People close to the situation think it will work. I'm not stupid but I also know I'm not as smart as Dan Dodge. And I sure as **** don't know as much about QNX as he does. He claims to be the inventor of QNX. He is the current CEO for QNX. If he thinks it will work who are you to think it won't? What insider information about his creation do you have that he don't? Lol

You don't know jack. Just like I don't. Anyone can be a nay sayer. But you have nothing to back it up with. Like I've said. People with RIM and QNX both want to do it and they think they can. They know a lot more about this then you or I. Kevin has been saying he thinks it will happen also. He's been saying it for months. If you know more than he why isn't he posting on your website?

10-15-10 09:35 AM
    I found that interesting as well. I haven't used a wap page since I switched to android, and I only post here from my mobile...

I will say though that if you keep going back to BB, that perhaps it really is the platform for you. Get thee to a corporate store for your carrier (since those usually have activated devices, which obviously will be the only way to honestly compare them) and do some side by side comparisons between all the potential candidates and see what you can live with/what your dealbreakers are.
    I post from WAP sites from my PC at times,

on Forums unless I am doing other things as well, I usually keep them at WAP sites because of load times, and the content I am reading is the same, Just less fluff.

BUT I do agree the Torch doesn't match the Android devices for browsing, BUT it is certainly good enough, for most uses, but everything else about the Torch is top notch, I find myself using it more so than my tour got used, and I didn't think that was possible
    Last edited by deRusett; 10-15-10 at 10:03 AM.
    10-15-10 09:53 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD