Does this newest version of the Torch FINALLY allow Netflix and similar videos to be shown?
    TY!
    07-30-12 12:27 PM
    Not Netflix but it renders YouTube quite nicely.

Don't believe Netflix is available on BB.
    07-30-12 12:35 PM
    Not Netflix but it renders YouTube quite nicely.

Don't believe Netflix is available on BB.
    oh poopers !!
    07-30-12 12:41 PM
    I'm not sure what the appeal of Netflix is. Honestly, I think the selection of movies on Netflix sucks. Personally, I think Blockbuster has a way better selection and would be a nice fit in the BlackBerry ecosystem with Dish and Sling...
    07-30-12 01:06 PM
    I'm not sure what the appeal of Netflix is. Honestly, I think the selection of movies on Netflix sucks. Personally, I think Blockbuster has a way better selection and would be a nice fit in the BlackBerry ecosystem with Dish and Sling...
    Well, I up-graded from an 8820, years back, to the new, (at that time), 9800 Torch. I was extremely disapointed becuz it wud not allow me to view Netflix and similar video sources in my "off-work" time. It's features, and its APP base, overall, were to me, poor compared to the IPhone, with the exception of BB's still superb e-mail capabilities. Now I'm looking at the newest Torch and its fresh op sys, and STILL it cannot compete. RIM is going down the drain, IMHO, becuz it does not fill the needs of the majority of the market. It seems satisfied to cater to its niche corporate enterprise base, and say nutz to everyone else. As soon as the IPhone 5 is out, my Torch 9800 will be donated to a 3rd world country or just trashed if they don't want it.
    07-30-12 01:39 PM
    Even though I agree with the OP that it is crazy that still to this day no BB devices are Netflix compatible, I couldn't imagine streaming movies on my phone. Thats just me though, I like having perfect 20/20 eyesight and staring into a 3'' screen to watch a full length movie is just not for me.

But I would like the CHOICE to view Netflix on my BB devices and I am a little sick of RIM and Netflix pointing the finger at each other on why there is no BB app or Playbook app. I am guessing BB10 will also be void of Netflix which is unacceptable.

I mean what is the holdup? Why can't there be a Netflix app? Or better yet, could there be an announcement on BB10 getting it? Its a win win for both Netflix and RIM. Netflix could potentially expand their subscription base and RIM could finally sit at the lunch table with the cool kids showing off Netflix on their devices.

RIM/Netflix, make it happen already. Its laughably absurd that it hasn't already and I think to this day actually hurts the credibility on a RIM turnaround...
    07-30-12 05:21 PM
    Even though I agree with the OP that it is crazy that still to this day no BB devices are Netflix compatible, I couldn't imagine streaming movies on my phone. Thats just me though, I like having perfect 20/20 eyesight and staring into a 3'' screen to watch a full length movie is just not for me.

But I would like the CHOICE to view Netflix on my BB devices and I am a little sick of RIM and Netflix pointing the finger at each other on why there is no BB app or Playbook app. I am guessing BB10 will also be void of Netflix which is unacceptable.

I mean what is the holdup? Why can't there be a Netflix app? Or better yet, could there be an announcement on BB10 getting it? Its a win win for both Netflix and RIM. Netflix could potentially expand their subscription base and RIM could finally sit at the lunch table with the cool kids showing off Netflix on their devices.

RIM/Netflix, make it happen already. Its laughably absurd that it hasn't already and I think to this day actually hurts the credibility on a RIM turnaround...

I'm sorry to raise a "stink" of sorts. and mean no offense, But I remember when RIM was #1 in all ways. Now it is sliding downhill. BB is, to me, definitely a BETTER phone for business, but I think it should be the BEST for off-work hours & personal use too. Why not? RIM is sliding into a niche business market when it could be expanding into a world-wide one, offering the BEST for work AND play. I'm just frustrated. My local AT&T store used to handle ALL models of BB, along with those from other makers. Now, when I go in there, they have ONE BB model; all other BB's are gone. They push the IPhone and Android brands to those who walk-in. Netflix is only one of several sources of movies and video that my BB will not work with. About the only streaming video you can watch is YouTube.
    07-30-12 05:55 PM
    I'm sorry to raise a "stink" of sorts. and mean no offense, But I remember when RIM was #1 in all ways. Now it is sliding downhill. BB is, to me, definitely a BETTER phone for business, but I think it should be the BEST for off-work hours & personal use too. Why not? RIM is sliding into a niche business market when it could be expanding into a world-wide one, offering the BEST for work AND play. I'm just frustrated. My local AT&T store used to handle ALL models of BB, along with those from other makers. Now, when I go in there, they have ONE BB model; all other BB's are gone. They push the IPhone and Android brands to those who walk-in. Netflix is only one of several sources of movies and video that my BB will not work with. About the only streaming video you can watch is YouTube.
    Yup, that about sums it up. The leadership at RIM sat on their hands for years and let the rest of the mobile world pass them by. Somehow even after slowly catching up to an extent, they still have no Netflix or Skype in sight.

I mean did RIM's leadership bury their heads in the sands and completely ignore what iOS or Android was doing? Even Windows phones seem to be going in the right direction. RIM had the most recognizable mobile brand, Blackberry for years. Now instead of people viewing "Blackberry" as a strong or popular brand, RIM themselves destroyed their own brand making people think of VCR's, cassette tapes, beepers, etc. when they think of Blackberry.

Its going to take more than BB10 to win people back, its going to take functionality with popular apps/programs like Skype, Netflix etc. and in addition some seriously strong marketing to repair their image.

As we saw with the Playbook, you can have a good OS, good hardware, etc. but if you don't market it properly and have the apps/games people take for granted, the product is doomed to fail.

So here we are waiting until 2013 for BB10. Where is Netflix? Where is Skype? I know its premature to start marketing BB10, but it better be more clever than what we have seen with BB7 or BB6...
    07-30-12 08:46 PM

I mean did RIM's leadership bury their heads in the sands and completely ignore what iOS or Android was doing?
    Basically, management bet the farm on 4 things; security, email, keyboards, and battery life. In the early days of the smartphone, those were all very desired features, especially since the majority of smartphone buyers were using them for business, or were businesses themselves. As the smartphone went more mainstream, the desires of the smartphone consumer changed, and now what they wanted was big screens, apps, media, and ease of use. I don't think it was so much they stuck their heads in the sand as much as the leadership believing their choices were the correct ones. The co-CEOs saw the smartphone as more of a business tool than a lifestyle tool. By the time they realized they made the wrong bet, it was too late and the competition had passed them by.

There's one other thing that I think had an impact, but it's rarely mentioned. Blackberries were not the best made devices. By that, I don't mean the BBOS, or lack of apps or anything. I mean they were poorly made. In a span of 2 years, I went through half a dozen because they were basically breaking down for various reasons, either the trackball stopped working, the screen popped off, keys got stuck, etc., etc. I'm sure I'm not the only person who got a couple Blackberries where things were a bit off, as in lopsided. I'm pretty certain that I'm not the only one who went through those kinds of issues. I think a lot of former BB users remember the quality issues with Blackberry, and when given the option to change to something more reliable, they did. 5 years ago, there weren't many other options, but since then, there's been a lot of choice.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 07-30-12 at 09:03 PM.
    07-30-12 09:00 PM
    There's one other thing that I think had an impact, but it's rarely mentioned. Blackberries were not the best made devices. By that, I don't mean the BBOS, or lack of apps or anything. I mean they were poorly made. In a span of 2 years, I went through half a dozen because they were basically breaking down for various reasons, either the trackball stopped working, the screen popped off, keys got stuck, etc., etc. I'm sure I'm not the only person who got a couple Blackberries where things were a bit off, as in lopsided. I'm pretty certain that I'm not the only one who went through those kinds of issues. I think a lot of former BB users remember the quality issues with Blackberry, and when given the option to change to something more reliable, they did. 5 years ago, there weren't many other options, but since then, there's been a lot of choice.
    I can't speak for the older devices but I do know that when I owned an 8530, everyone I tried would go into a reboot cycle and it had something to do with the Blackberry App World. When I upgraded to the 9330, everyone but the last one had an issue with the trackpad in which if I stepped near sunlight, the trackpad would go haywire.
    07-30-12 10:10 PM
    No one cares that you think Netflix sucks, obviously millions pf people don't, so take your self righteous remarks and go back to blockbuster, it doesn't matter what you think. For 8 bucks a month, nothing sucks. No Netflix IS one of the many reasons BB's are a joke in todays market whether you like it or not.
    07-31-12 12:43 AM
    No one cares that you think Netflix sucks, obviously millions pf people don't, so take your self righteous remarks and go back to blockbuster, it doesn't matter what you think. For 8 bucks a month, nothing sucks. No Netflix IS one of the many reasons BB's are a joke in todays market whether you like it or not.
    Was that attack really necessary? Crackberry members have equal rights in terms of expressing their opinions ... and that's all the poster did; express his/her opinion.

By your own logic, many probably don't care what you think about Netflix. Your remarks had a very sanctimonious air - and were simply rude.
    07-31-12 07:13 AM
    You mentioned Skype as well. In the US Verizon has a monopoly on Skype so unless you go with big red you won't get it. Works quite nicely on my 8530 and I hope it will be even better on my BB10 QWERTY when it's released.

Like a lot of people, I don't see the need for Netflix on a phone: the screen even on Android devices is just too small to really enjoy a film. The tablet space is a much better fit. Netflix or other streaming film sites on my PlayBook would be a sweet deal, but for my phones, I'll pass.
    07-31-12 07:20 AM
    Was that attack really necessary? Crackberry members have equal rights in terms of expressing their opinions ... and that's all the poster did; express his/her opinion.

By your own logic, many probably don't care what you think about Netflix. Your remarks had a very sanctimonious air - and were simply rude.
    I've no doubt that the poster is simply exasperated by the number of times this type of response is posted as a "defense" to no BBs having Netflix. That lack (along with the lack of other well-known and popular apps) is a major shortcoming in the platform, and one that shows no signs of being resolved. These numbingly predictable responses smack of childish type retorts such as "Well, I didn't want to come to your dumb old party anyway!"
    07-31-12 07:33 AM
    You mentioned Skype as well. In the US Verizon has a monopoly on Skype so unless you go with big red you won't get it. Works quite nicely on my 8530 and I hope it will be even better on my BB10 QWERTY when it's released.

Like a lot of people, I don't see the need for Netflix on a phone: the screen even on Android devices is just too small to really enjoy a film. The tablet space is a much better fit. Netflix or other streaming film sites on my PlayBook would be a sweet deal, but for my phones, I'll pass.
    You are right in that the screen on a Blackberry, as with other smartphones IS pretty small, but, hey, its all I have when traveling. It is nice to see a vintage film or watever while waiting at an airport, sitting in a line at a movie theatre for a new release, etc. Personally, I don't like games on smartphones, but others do, so its fine. I wud like BB to be all things as much as is technically possible, a good work phone and a good personal phone filled with fun stuff and useful apps. Hate to say, but the IPhone 5 is looking better and better. I don't think the e-mail part of one is near as good as my BB, but it is enuff to do the job, and the OTHER features, like streaming video for idle time, and APPS, are super. I suppose I could stuff a tablet in my purse? But men don't have a purse, only a pocket. Wat do they do?
    07-31-12 08:21 AM
    You are right in that the screen on a Blackberry, as with other smartphones IS pretty small, but, hey, its all I have when traveling. It is nice to see a vintage film or watever while waiting at an airport, sitting in a line at a movie theatre for a new release, etc. Personally, I don't like games on smartphones, but others do, so its fine. I wud like BB to be all things as much as is technically possible, a good work phone and a good personal phone filled with fun stuff and useful apps. Hate to say, but the IPhone 5 is looking better and better. I don't think the e-mail part of one is near as good as my BB, but it is enuff to do the job, and the OTHER features, like streaming video for idle time, and APPS, are super. I suppose I could stuff a tablet in my purse? But men don't have a purse, only a pocket. Wat do they do?
    I watched movies on my old 9000, whose screen was considerably smaller than the 9860 (and my current 9810, which I watched movies on before I bought a PlayBook). I wouldn't have watched Star Wars or some other kind of spectacle on it, but for most movies it was fine.
    07-31-12 08:26 AM
    I watched movies on my old 9000, whose screen was considerably smaller than the 9860 (and my current 9810, which I watched movies on before I bought a PlayBook). I wouldn't have watched Star Wars or some other kind of spectacle on it, but for most movies it was fine.
    I've never watched movies but for simply watching TV small screens don't bother me as well. I have to use the jury rigged slingplayer to watch my TV, and the thru my TV I could watch movies I guess, just realized this now LOL, well, whatever movies are out thru the cable company at the moment or ones I've taped. If BB10 doesn't have sling that will be the single deciding factor for me in the future RIM has to get all the bigtime apps or it will just be back to square one I feel.
    07-31-12 03:01 PM
    I've never watched movies but for simply watching TV small screens don't bother me as well. I have to use the jury rigged slingplayer to watch my TV, and the thru my TV I could watch movies I guess, just realized this now LOL, well, whatever movies are out thru the cable company at the moment or ones I've taped. If BB10 doesn't have sling that will be the single deciding factor for me in the future RIM has to get all the bigtime apps or it will just be back to square one I feel.
    You are entirely right! RIM is going down the drain unless it can save itself by treating personal AND business Users equally. They cannot "weigh down one side of the scale" while neglecting the other. I know the business market, corporate-wise, is a biggie, but the personal market is even bigger. There are far more "mom and pops" then there are IBM's, GE's, and the like. It's sad, isn't it? A great company, RIM, that has sat on its duff, much like the Detroit automakers who ignored, early on, consumer demand for hybrids. They all did it, but you gotta give a hand to Ford. They took no bailouts and "manned up" on their own. I love Toyota's, but if I ever bought American again, it would be a Ford.
    07-31-12 03:16 PM
    I like having the option being able to watch a quick clip or video of a TV show, comedy special, etc. when I don't have my tablet, laptop, desktop, or TV with me. Like, when I'm waiting at the airport, on lunch or break, waiting in the car, etc... I don't plan on watching the Lord Of The Rings from beginning to end on my phone, but, the option to do so is nice to have. Or when I want to watch a quick clip of Archer, or, whatever.

I think it's all about choice and having the option. Not necessarily a preference for watching Terminator 2 in one sitting.
    08-01-12 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD